Heated Tank? - chenry & the gang - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heated Tank? - chenry & the gang

My V3 & tank should arrive in 2-3 weeks but after reading some of the posts here I am wondering if I need a heated tank. I am in North Texas and it is hot here now but will I be able to run wvo in the winter without a heated tank? I know chenry is in OK...are you running a heated tank? Anyone else with a wvo system running a non heated tank? I ordered the 60 gallon toolbox/tank combo. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know of anyone that is running WVO who wants to run all year long without it. (It even gets cold in the desert at night,,) Otherwise it can wax up too easy and clog the pump and filter. RIGHT? The guy I know running it built his own tank, and ran his coolant lines back to it, in the bottom, he has a second layer with the coolant running through it. (Runs like a maze I think, across, and back ect...) throughout the whole bottom of the tank. It added something like 4 more gallons of capacity to his coolant! There is a temp gage on the tank, and he knows when to switch.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Look at Q3 directly from the Vegistroke site. Ambient temperature has very little to do with your system reaching operating temperature.

Dino Fuel Alternatives: Technical Tidbits
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMover View Post
Look at Q3 directly from the Vegistroke site. Ambient temperature has very little to do with your system reaching operating temperature.

Dino Fuel Alternatives: Technical Tidbits
I understand that. As I understand the system the V3 unit heats up the oil prior to it flowing into the fuel rails. Is this enough heat to work properly?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 AM

The tank NEEDS to be heated. The oil needs to reach at least 140 degrees, and better yet upwards of 180 degrees to get the viscosity down close to pump diesel. The ambient temp has nothing to do with it (unless texas sees 140 regularly) It's not so much the fuel gelling, its the viscosity for the pumps.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 AM
I don't know nuttin....

So many misconceptions still around about this subject.
The fass fuel pump on the V3 could pump gravel uphill so the viscosity of the oil will not effect this pump.
The temp of the tank has nothing to do with switchiver times either and ambiet outdoor temps do infact play a role in this. If you motor and coolant is 20 degrees with you start up, it will take longer to switch over because the temp switch is located inline with the coolant and when the coolant hits 140*, the system switchs on.
This hot coolant will heat the V3 module thus heating the vegi flowing through it. There are 4 heat exchangers in the V3 system. The first being the heated tank. The tank heat will never reach 140 except maybe in the summer on a long trip. In theory the tank is your first heat bump...lets say it heats the oil 15 degrees above ambient temps outside. so its 90* rather than 75 when it gets picked up in the fuel line. It then travels along the heated HOH which esentially keeps it hot and maybe heats it a little more untill it flows through the module which is heat exchanger # 2 and that bumps it another 20* to 110* (these numbers are hypothetical as i have never tested temps along the lines). Then the oil goes through the heated filter and bumps anotehr 20* to 130* Now the oil will enter the fuel rail in the head and become heated to over 200* in seconds before it gets injected.
IF you omit the heated tank, take 15* off of this process so the oil maybe only 115 when it reaches the heads and it will still get heated in the rails.
In winter the ambient temps. sets the starting point for this process so you can see if your startingout with 20* oil, you NEED heat in the tank. If you live in Panima City and you start out with 90* oil everyday all year long, you do not need tank heat at all.
No matter where you live, if you vacation to 10,000 feet above see level in the mountains in august you will not be able to use your system.
Get the heated tank.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 AM
I don't know nuttin....

So many misconceptions still around about this subject.
The fass fuel pump on the V3 could pump gravel uphill so the viscosity of the oil will not effect this pump.
The temp of the tank has nothing to do with switchiver times either and ambiet outdoor temps do infact play a role in this. If you motor and coolant is 20 degrees with you start up, it will take longer to switch over because the temp switch is located inline with the coolant and when the coolant hits 140*, the system switchs on.
This hot coolant will heat the V3 module thus heating the vegi flowing through it. There are 4 heat exchangers in the V3 system. The first being the heated tank. The tank heat will never reach 140 except maybe in the summer on a long trip. In theory the tank is your first heat bump...lets say it heats the oil 15 degrees above ambient temps outside. so its 90* rather than 75 when it gets picked up in the fuel line. It then travels along the heated HOH which esentially keeps it hot and maybe heats it a little more untill it flows through the module which is heat exchanger # 2 and that bumps it another 20* to 110* (these numbers are hypothetical as i have never tested temps along the lines). Then the oil goes through the heated filter - heat exchanger # 3 - and bumps anotehr 20* to 130* Now the oil will enter the fuel rail in the heads - heat exchangere # 4 - and becomes heated to well over 200* in seconds before it gets injected.
IF you omit the heated tank, take 15* off of this process so the oil maybe only 115 when it reaches the heads and it will still get heated in the rails.
In winter the ambient temps. sets the starting point for this process so you can see if your startingout with 20* oil, you NEED heat in the tank. If you live in Panima City and you start out with 90* oil everyday all year long, you do not need tank heat at all.
No matter where you live, if you vacation to 10,000 feet above see level in the mountains in the Fall you will not be able to use your system. I have seen temps after the filter above 200 degrees in the hot summer so actually you can unplg the fuse to your heated filter in summer time as it is not needed and this will put less draw on your alternator.
Get the heated tank.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
It's not so much the fuel gelling, its the viscosity for the pumps.
Actually if you ever use Partially Hydrogenated oil, it solidifies at around 55* and if you have no tank heat it can not be sucked up in the fuel pickup line so gelling is an issue to think about. I delt with this last winter and my hotfox heater was not man enough to melt it as fast as the motor consumed it.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Actually if you ever use Partially Hydrogenated oil, it solidifies at around 55* and if you have no tank heat it can not be sucked up in the fuel pickup line so gelling is an issue to think about. I delt with this last winter and my hotfox heater was not man enough to melt it as fast as the motor consumed it.
Thansk for clarifying everything. I understood most of it, but did a terrible job explaining it, but I still learned a few good things out of that post. The hydrogenated oil I've decided against using, so I didn't really research that at all, and did not know it had these characteristics, so thanks for that as well.

So you do use the hydrogenated oil? From everythign I had read, it seemed it was better to just stay away from it...
Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 AM

Here is Jason's reply from Dino Fuel Alternative's.

"Don’t sweat it Marty, your tank comes built with the heat exchanger in it. It will be up to you, to you make the choice not to use it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.