Ran beatiful - won't start on new fuel filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Ran beatiful - won't start on new fuel filter

I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2000 7.3 turbo Excursion. It's been running on biodiesel for 3 months (mix is 40 gals WVO, 4 gals kero, and 3 gals RUG plus Diesel Kleen cetane boost and naptha/mineral spirits additives). Once in a while I've added petrodiesel due to a lack of WVO. Currently the mixture in the tank is about half petro, half biodiesel. It has been running absolutely flawlessly until yesterday when I decided to change the fuel filter. The old filter I had put in in January from NAPA. The new filter is an aftermarket from Hastings Filter. I followed the same procedure as in January for restarting: turn on ignition twice to get the filter reservoir full, and then 3rd time to start. It started, but within 30 secs had stumbled, starved and died. I've cranked on it a total of 2 minutes maybe (eight - 15 second shots). Now the charger is on the battery. Should I keep cranking after things are charged again? (New batteries fall '07) Should I drain the filter to see if the transfer pump is working? - I can't hear it, but I never could before... I had no issues with starting until changing this filter... Thanks for any help!!!

PS: I did let it sit overnight after trying to start it, so the filter should have gotten soaked up with fuel.

Last edited by Danbeck; 06-11-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd pop the filter out and see that it's getting fuel. Sounds to me the filter or something else isn't letting fuel flow through.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM

First of all, that's not Biodiesel! Secondly, check the filter you put in to see if it has fuel in the housing. It sounds like you may have greater problems though. (pump) Blending fuel is an art and if you have blended some thicker fuel a few times then you may have just shot all the money you saved from not buying petro.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 AM

I just drained the filter housing: no fuel getting that far.... It burped like there was air pressure in there....
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Your in Vermont? Blending fuel like that in cool temps will make for some thick fuel. You are aware your going to kill the fuel pump doing that?
Maybe thats what has happened here.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 AM

I don't know anything at all about this, I just go to the gas station and pump it. ( Got that idea right here yesterday)But it seems to me that I've been told my whole life that breakfast is the most important meal.Fry you up some eggs and bacon pour that excess hot grease right inthe fuel tank, Then eat your breakfast.Now she'll start.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Your in Vermont? Blending fuel like that in cool temps will make for some thick fuel. You are aware your going to kill the fuel pump doing that?
Maybe thats what has happened here.
The day I began this filter changing procedure, it was 87F here. I don't have a gelling problem. Like I said, it has been running perfectly. We had a big storm front run through about that time (tornado warnings in our Vermont county - don't hear that too often) - maybe I have a vapor lock issue. Thanks to all for the "constructive" comments.... Some actual ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbeck View Post
The day I began this filter changing procedure, it was 87F here. I don't have a gelling problem. Like I said, it has been running perfectly. We had a big storm front run through about that time (tornado warnings in our Vermont county - don't hear that too often) - maybe I have a vapor lock issue. Thanks to all for the "constructive" comments.... Some actual ideas would be appreciated.
I didn't say anything about gelling. 87 is warm but WVO has a viscosity that is much higher than diesel, blended or not. Unless it is heated to 180* at which point the viscosity is the same as diesel. I have seen this smoke a pump on more than one occasion.
And what about all those other days when it wasn't 87* while you were making that pump push molasses through the filters?
Sorry if you don't find this to be constructive, thats what it is intended to be. Blending WVO in a DI diesel motor is a proven bad idea. Thats not just my opinion, there is lots of R&D out there that will back this up.
No ideas other than check the pump. Check for codes to see if its something else like a CPS or ICP.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 AM

danbeck sorry just thught i would try to lift your spirits
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM

It could very well be the pump. I find it odd that it happened exactly after a fuel change, but hey stranger things have happend. Also Chenry is right, the viscosities are just not the same. I'm sure with the research you've done on how to blend, you must have come across at least one person telling you that it will cause premature pump failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.