Filter housing for bag filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Filter housing for bag filters

Ok I'm at the point I am starting to gather all of my hardware for my filtration setup for WVO. Clay has pointed me in the direction of this filter setup right here:

Filter-Bag Housings

Now if I have to I will spend the money to get this setup, however... after looking this over with my buddy, we're wondering what is so special about this aluminum tube that they are getting $330 for it. Can someone please explain to me what is so special about this? I really have no experience with a filter setup like this, so I'm really just unsure. I think I may try to make my own. Essentially all this is, is a housing with a quick release lid to change the bag filters correct? Also it states in the description: Aluminum housings have a Type 304 stainless steel basket with 9/64" diameter perforations. Now does stainless react with the WVO like regular steel does, or is it much more resilient? Should I make this part out of aluminum if I can?

We have access to a MAJOR machine shop and unlimited materials. I would like to make this myself. So far I haven't spent $1 on my filtration setup, and I would like to continue this. I want to make it clear I have no problem spending the money if I have to. However I believe we are fully capable of making this ourselves. Could someone perhaps post some pics of the inside of theirs and maybe explain what makes the cost of this setup so expensive? Any info you guys could relay would be much appreciated. Thanks,

-Mdub-

Last edited by mdub707; 06-11-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Its aluminum, machined and quality all the way. Thats the only reason it cost that much.
There is a plastic one for 100 bucks less money that I could turn you onto but it has special sized bags that i have only found at McMasters. It works the same but has a screw on lid and the lid is hard to get off once a little sticky WVO goo gets in the threads.
I used the plastic one for 2 years before selling it and getting the aluminum one.
If you can make one, the only thing you need to do is get a trade 4 filter bag and be sure to size the neck top so that the Ring in the top of the bag fits snug so oil won't by-pass the bag.
SS will work fine with WVO, no reaction at all.
I can take some pics inside if you want.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 AM

I'd rather have the aluminum than the plastic one. We have the capabilities and the material to make this, we just have never seen one in person in hand, so we really dont know what to make from that picture. If you could get me some pics from the inside that would be AWESOME! Much appreciated!

Also where do you get your filters from? I'll order some up right now so we can have it in hand to get correct sizes. Or if you could even get some dimensions for the critical stuff for me, like where the filter makes the seal, that would be awesome too.

Thanks a ton Clay! I think I owe you some beers...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
I'd rather have the aluminum than the plastic one. We have the capabilities and the material to make this, we just have never seen one in person in hand, so we really dont know what to make from that picture. If you could get me some pics from the inside that would be AWESOME! Much appreciated!

Also where do you get your filters from? I'll order some up right now so we can have it in hand to get correct sizes. Or if you could even get some dimensions for the critical stuff for me, like where the filter makes the seal, that would be awesome too.

Thanks a ton Clay! I think I owe you some beers...
you have no idea....
I'll try and remember to do it tonight...luckily i just changed the filter Monday and its still dry and clean so i can take it out without a mess.
Its very simple actually, a hollow tube with a lip on the top for the bag ring to seal against and another lip to hold the bag holder from dropping to the bottom. Then an inlet above the lip which is 3/4" NPT and an outlet of the same thread size towards the bottom. The lid has a threaded hole to screw in a 3/8" (i think) pressure guage. oh, and a grove cut in the top to seal the lid when its tightened. I can't get you measurements on the bag ring - i don't have the capability to measure it acurately and chances are you will need to cut the ring out to measure it accurately. If i had a set of mics, i could get an inside dia. measurement but i do not. I will see what a tape measure reads.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 AM

ahhh thats ok the measurements aren't that important. It'll be all custom made anyways. I'll just pick up the filters and build it based off of them. Now where do I get these filters from?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't know nuttin....

any place that sells filters should have Trade Size 4 bag filters.
Open the yellow pages. I looked in the phone book under "Filters Liquid" and found 8 listings of places that sell them.
McMasters also has them for 3.80 each you can search there for "trade size 4 filter bags" and you will find them.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
I've seen a few built out of pvc pipe. Seemed pretty simple, I'll see if I can find them.

Clay, does yours have a basket in it?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlw View Post

Clay, does yours have a basket in it?
yes

message too short so still typing...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
that's what I was worried about, I'm going to build one, but it's kind of tough to build a basket that will fit correctly. I priced them, and they're around $70.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The actual model mumber for the filter housing clay suggests in his write up (6870K57) takes a Trade 3 bag. Clay's longer model that he has in his pics is a different number that above and takes a trade 4 bag. I just got through ordering, receiving and then reordering the correct filter bags. Hope this helps someone.
Bob Gieser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.