New to WMO. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to WMO.

I have a 2005 F350 6.0L with about 35K miles on it. I bought a 1 micron filter pump from FiltaKleen. It is portable as you will see in the video.

I am really hesitating on putting this filtered oil into my fuel tank. It still looks black but seems to be smoother that the unfiltered oil. Could be my imagination.

I have about 7 gallons filtered and I think I am ready to pour. Will the thickness of the oil make a difference? I live in So. Cal so I am really not concerned with cold weather.

I would really appreciate input from WMO users about what filtered oil is supposed to look like. Will the later model 6.0L give me problems with WMO?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkz48sxgwx4tmsu/VIDEO0009.mp4

Last edited by superchaos; 08-22-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I read a bit on the Filtakleen system. Is this filtering system originally designed to be installed on big trucks & filter the motor oil as they are driving??

One thing that greatly concerns me about using this system to clean WMO to run as fuel is it says it is a bypass filter. Someone correct me if I am wrong but that means once the filter plugs then the oil bypasses it & no more filtering takes place. This is necessary for a motor oil filter but BAD for using as a fuel filter. Once the filter plugs then the oil going through it is not being filtered & you have no way of knowing when that happens.

IMO if you are going to chance running WMO in any engine as fuel the best way to clean the oil is with a gravity fed open bowl centrifuge.

How are you insuring you are getting any water out??
Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The filters are replaceable. I am planning on installing the bypass system on my truck as well. I am waiting for the company to design a mounting bracket.

What I have been told is the filters take out water / coolant as well as the particle contaminates. There is a pressure gauge on top of the filter housing. Once that gets to a certain level, the filters are considered full and need to be replaced. So basically the only way to tell when the filter has to be changed out is when the resistance reaches a certain level.

I thought the black color would be removed somewhat when the WMO was ran through the 1 micron filters but it still seems pretty black to me. I put about 7 gallons of the filtered oil in my tank last night. I did not notice any difference; smoke, sound, power loss/gain, mileage loss/gain. I went on a 100 mile round trip.

I think the only way to tell how much contaminates are removed by the filter would be to CF the old oil and filtered oil and compare the two. I do not have a CF.

I was told the bypass filter for the engine needs to have the regular oil filter and FiltaKleen filter changed every 5K miles and the quality of the oil would remain for about 20K - 25K miles before the actual oil needed to be changed. If that is true, the $375 price tag should pay for itself by the first oil change.

I have talked to two mechanics who work on the large earth movers and they agree with the motor bypass filter claims. They did not know about filtering WMO and running it in a regular diesel truck. They did admit to putting WMO in their diesels years ago but believe the injectors now can't handle it. (Darn nay sayers)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Id be careful in reusing oil no matter how well its filtered. Powerstroke's shear the weight of the oil due to the hydraulic action in the HPO system. I would have it tested before reusing. I believe a lot of guys use Blackstone Labs
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Nevermind, you're using it as fuel. I read right over the part where you said you were putting it your fuel tank. Now I'm kinda curious... Let us know how it turns out. The HEUI is pretty sensitive when compared to most other injectors so good luck
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
IMO if you are going to chance running WMO in any engine as fuel the best way to clean the oil is with a gravity fed open bowl centrifuge.

THis is the best advice you will ever get regarding alternative fuels. I suggest you embrace it.

How are you insuring you are getting any water out??

A very real concern is moisture.
Above all, I have said it and will now repeat it. WMO is not a good idea. Surely not in a six leaker. They struggle on ULSD, and WMO will likely only make a bad situation worse.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the filters here which claim to remove all water. Filtamax

I am also trying to get WMO from people I know who change their own oil, leave it in a small container until they feel like taking it to the local parts store to recycle it.

I would be more concerned about water in WVO since water is used to clean restaurants along with degreasers to keep everything ready for an inspection.

My wife has a small CF for spinning blood vials. She shouldn't mind if I use it to spin unfiltered and filtered oil to see if there is a difference.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I CF'd but dunno why.

I placed a small vial of WMO and one of filtered oil in a 3200 RPM CF for 20 minutes.

The WMO is still black and thick. The filtered oil is dark but has a reddish brown color to it. The filtered oil is the same thickness as new motor oil (10-30 Castrol) which is pretty thin.

At least I can see a difference. A lot of the contaminates are obviously gone and there is no separation in either the filtered or non filtered. I still cannot see through the filtered vial holding it up to a light so unless I use some sort of solvent, I do not believe the dark color will come out.

I am going to continue using 10 gallons of filtered oil per tank of diesel (roughly 25%).
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 AM

The only way to get the dark color out of WMO is to distill it.

Centrifuging will always produce better results then just filtering. Anyone I have talked to that had been using filters couldn't believe the crud that came out of the oil they had previously run through filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.