Lowwww buck conversion...problems?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowwww buck conversion...problems?!

So the quick and dirty is that I 'converted' my 95 PSD to run on WVO that's been dewatered/filtered down to 5 microns.

The first time I drove it after the conversion, in the winter in Indiana, it was fine for a while then sputtered (hard) and eventually died. It took a lot of cranking, and unplugging the IPR, to get it started again. But once it was running again it was fine!!!

My system is basically the stock system, so the fuel mixes. Stock fuel lines + aluminum fuel lines to/from the front (wvo) tank, and an aluminum line coiled inside tank with coolant running through it for heat (tapped into coolant lines, returns to bottom of radiator). Stock switching valve moved under the hood for easier access. Biofuel approved rubber lines from switching valve to fuel pump and from fuel bowl return. No other changes. No added temp gauge or fuel pressure gauge for the system. No check valves.

It has been idling rough for months, probably since the conversion, but perhaps it was running rough before the conversion and I didn't notice because I hadn't driven the truck much since I bought it.

Two weeks ago I drove to NC from IN, through the mountains. The truck ran great! 90% of the way on WVO. Cruise control and A/C worked fine. No problems. But on the way home, as soon as I'd hit an incline, I'd lose power. The engine would 'sputter' like it was fuel starved (?) or sucking air or ??? But downhill or level ground it was normal.

The idle has since progressively become more erratic. Hot or cold, WVO or dino diesel, it doesn't seem to matter!

Many months ago I replaced the CPS and IPR. More recently, valve cover gaskets were replaced. All four connections on the gasket sets had at least one of the leads totally melted. I thought replacing those would lead to it running better. It actually runs worse now.

Any ideas out there?! I'm sort of at my wits end with this thing. I've dumped a *lot* of heart into it, elbow grease, and money better spent on other things.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE ;-)

Last edited by green_machine; 08-21-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

wheres the pickup at, at the wvo tank? Since downhill or even grounds, the truck runs better, i'd think going uphill, the wvo is "away" from the pickup?

Also, it doesnt sound like you have enough heat. Gotta get that shiat hot for it to flow/pump and burn correctly.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
wheres the pickup at, at the wvo tank?
Stock pickup and location. I dropped the tank (and JB welded a lot of the places on top where diesel was leaking from where those stupid 'pads' had eaten through the metal over time) and cleaned all the parts of the pickup. Actually it was not bad at all compared to horror stories I've heard/seen.

Quote:
Since downhill or even grounds, the truck runs better, i'd think going uphill, the wvo is "away" from the pickup?
Hmmm...well it happens when the fuel is drawn from either front tank or rear tank (diesel) so I'm not sure that is the case...

Quote:
Also, it doesnt sound like you have enough heat. Gotta get that shiat hot for it to flow/pump and burn correctly.
I guess that could be, but my 15 hour trip to North Carolina should have been plagued by heat problems as well, but it wasn't! Only on the way back. Hmmm, what happened while the truck was sitting for a week while I was building sand cities on the beach???
Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

how many miles on the injectors? I would concentrate on getting it running good on diesel only so you can eliminate the veg system as the problem. i had a 95 that i converted to wvo , truck always ran good on wvo or diesel, the only time it started to run bad like going up a hill, was a fuel filter getting plugged. do you have a filter inline from the veg tank or the only filter you have is the stock filter. what is you fuel pressure? take the fuel line and fuel regulator apart , i'll bet you have crud built up in the regulator, should be a screen in there full of crap
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
how many miles on the injectors?
As far as I know, they are original. I know pretty much the entire history of the truck and that the injectors have never been taken out/serviced/replaced.

Quote:
I would concentrate on getting it running good on diesel only so you can eliminate the veg system as the problem. i had a 95 that i converted to wvo , truck always ran good on wvo or diesel, the only time it started to run bad like going up a hill, was a fuel filter getting plugged. do you have a filter inline from the veg tank or the only filter you have is the stock filter.
Stock filter w/bowl and just an inline see-through fuel filter that catches the big stuff (not very big really) before it gets to the stock filter. But every time I've suspected the filter, it's been clean and 'normal'. I just replaced it last week and no change in the issues, actually it's worse.

Quote:
what is you fuel pressure?
Dunno and haven't checked but have heard that can be checked in a DIY fashion using a throw away tire gauge and checking it right at the fuel bowl.

Quote:
take the fuel line and fuel regulator apart , i'll bet you have crud built up in the regulator, should be a screen in there full of crap
Now THIS sounds like a confirmation of something I suspected!!! I will do this next for sure. It's free ;-) I've read a lot about it and know there are small parts that must not be lost so I'll be careful ;-)

Thanks Greasy!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree with Greasy. Get it running good one D2 first.

So you are running VO through the stock filter?? Stock pump as well? If so that is a bad idea. Your never going to be able to purge all the VO out of the stock filter so every time you cold start you are running on a D2/VO mix. You need to set your VO system up so it is completely independent of the stock system.Tank, lines, pump, good quailty filter & a FPHE.

I would also highly recommend you install a fuel pressure gauge & a VO temp gauge. It will make it so much easier to find your problem.

How are you filtering/dewatering your oil?

Most likely you are not getting your oil hot enough and or your fuel pump cannot keep up when you get on it causing fuel starvation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.