coolant vs engine temp questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant vs engine temp questions

Sometimes I will be driving down form the mtns and can cover 10 miles without reaching 180*. I have been playing around with the different ways to bring up my coolant temp quicker and I have an espar d5 coolant heater that will bring it up to 180* at the FPHE, however this does not impact the engine temp as it is still just idling downhill. I am wondering if there are drawbacks to running hot WVO into a not-as-hot motor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

oil viscocity is all that matters in 7.3 so you are fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

nice! if that is the case then I think i can reduce my diesel consumption to less then 1/4 gallon per trip. Those espar's really do a great job putting out some heat.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:12 PM

I respectfully disagree.

THe secret to the equation is a bit more than warm oil. Complete combustion is the goal. What you would be doing is not completely different than a cold oil cold engine start. Its been proven you can shove mayonnaise through a HEUI injector. Just because you theoretically altered the viscosity of the fuel with heat, a cool or cold engine likely will not give you complete combustion.

It is the same theory as to why VO idling is so dangerous. It isn't because the coolant temp loss as much as the head and head space temp reduction that causes the coking and mess of your heads.

If I were running VO again and in your situation, I would be sure to have a complete heat soak, and wait until the engine is up to temp completely, with HOT fuel and switch.

Just my theory, and really have no way to prove it. I have experienced busted push rods back when I was burning it hot and raw, and I know it makes your day lousy for saving a little diesel fuel.

If short trips are customary, perhaps biodiesel is the answer. It solves the viscosity issue and doesn't coke an engine. I don't want to create a debate but B100 just needs to flow, period.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so wait they have trucks that run on mayonnaise now?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise Outlaw View Post
so wait they have trucks that run on mayonnaise now?

Just pointing out that the HEUI injector is pretty robust. Compared to a rotary pump injected engine, the HEUI will handle heavy oils. With that said, realize much of the guidelines generally accepted as "the gospel" of running alternative fuels is from days of the IDI, thus repeating the statement that the primary reason that oil is needed to be served up hot was likely because of the rotary pumps inability to handle heavier oil. In fact I has been proven many times that VO combustion is significantly improved when over 180*F.

My point is that the heat not only thins the VO, it also helps to aid in a more complete combustion.

Hot engine, Hot oil will make for a more complete combustion. I strongly believe you need both for safe operation.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

right on, i totally agree with you. Theres no sense in cutting corners to switch on VO faster if you are running the risk of damaging your engine. Diesel is cheap(ish), engines are not.

why is it you are running bio instead of straight VO? I have to buy my VO for $2/gal so I wouldnt be able to keep my cost below pump price
Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise Outlaw View Post
why is it you are running bio instead of straight VO?
I ran thousands of gallons of CF'd WVO and did it for years. My only regret was that I didnt switch to B100 much much sooner.

If I were to run inconverted VO again, it would need to be new soy oil, and degummed.

WVO to me wasnt worth the headaches. It causes poly in FPHE's, plugs filters, eventually causes top end issues, is really hard on electric pumps, it is difficult to get to and maintain a 160*F operating temp at 0*F, and its damn messy.

B100 is much easier for me. Fill tank. Drive. Done.
I do run it in a heated second tank, HIH and coolant heated filter, but that is just for winter use. Never touching WVO again. I know, many guys have had what they feel successful operations, but Im personally much happier on B100 than WVO.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Boise -
I see the same-ish temps on the backside of a mountain coast. My truck will hardly reach (keep) 160 ECT after a 15 mile coast downhill in the cold. It can be 215 at the top of the hill, ECT and Veg oil temp both, but ECT will be 160 and veg will be 140's at the bottom. I treat it like idling in the parking lot...I usually kick the d2 pump on/ veg off, no purge, right at the top of the hill and start of the coast. Truck ECT and veg temp stay much higher with the radiator airflow blocked. Not sure if that helps but its what I do.

B100 is awesome if you know someone who makes good stuff <--- these guys are tough to find...

Veg-on,
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnOilRIG View Post
B100 is awesome if you know someone who makes good stuff <--- these guys are tough to find...,

mountain is definitely correct on that point. Avoid anyone in this alternative fuel game that opens sentences like "all you gotta do is......(fill in blank)" or "No no no, just get yourself a ....(fill in blank)" .

This is serious stuff here to do correctly, be it WVO or B100. A new replacement engine installed in a PSD can run as much as $10K, all because you listened to someone who thinks they have it all figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.