Auxiliary tanks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auxiliary tanks

Here's my delima ...I'm in the process of a wvo system. Ill be taking a few long distance trips a year. I'm in okc and will be running to SoCal and the east coast. Should I
A) buy a tank off another member for cheap ($500 ish) thats a 50 gal and worry about extra storage or filling up on the trip when it happens
B) buy a 91 gal tank
If i go with a 91 gal tank should i go with one from BFT thats plumbed for heat. Or buy an RDS tank from northern tool and have a heating loop welded in ( would cost me a few cases of Coors Light)

I like the idea of the extra gallons, but not sure about the extra weight. And the price on the used tank is nice.

Any advice from the old vets would be nice. End of the day ill be using it (the truck) to haul a large 5th wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM

I don't recommend welding the heat exchanger proper. I use these with great success:

I use the bulkhead fittings and Viton gromets and make my own aluminum coils, however, the aluminum off the shelf will work fine for most applications.

Tank heating coil kit | Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

The reason for not recommending welding the heat exchangers is that they can and will crack from the rapid expansion and cooling. Just that from personal experience drives me to use the above. Have never had one fail....

Good luck with whatever you choose....Always check craigslist. A reasonable priced used transfer tank and some quick couplings and valves, you can install a second tank with heat when needed.....Just my two cents.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Thats kicka$$ness on a stick. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. If i don't go with the used bft tank I'll end up sumping the rds tank with that sitting in the bottom.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
If i don't go with the used bft tank I'll end up sumping the rds tank with that sitting in the bottom.
That's how I roll. That set up in a one gallon sump with a louvered cover over the sump.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Vandy,
Veggin has you covered, but as an alt idea...

I do 3 or 4 long hauls a year, 200+ gal runs. I have a 100 gal regular veg tank and for the long hauls I went to a semi truck junkyard and picked up a 90 gallon D-shaped aluminum tank. Came with the sender and two pickups for $2/gal. They are harder to find than the circular saddle tanks, but I didn't want to screw with straps and keeping it from rolling around. All rectangular ones will be steel (according to the wrecker). Also, since its aluminum, I can pick it up and move it in and out the truck by myself. Goes in the truck before the trip and comes out after the trip. Pump from long haul tank to the reg veg tank at the end of the day of driving.

Only drawback is the damn thing sits in my way when I'm not using it.

veg-on,
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 AM

Another aux tank idea...
In the bottom of the sump, I welded a 3/4 NPT bung into it with a sst ball valve and 3/4 camlock. On long trips, gravity flow the second tank into the bottom of the sump via the camlock. No pumps required, and gravity is pretty reliable. You could even use a tote via a hose for almost unlimited range.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 AM

Thanks guys. I love the ideas. I'm looking into all of them.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 AM

First, im just floored that grease car is offering a cooper version of the heating loop. They must be banking on the ignorant to use copper and have poly jack up their valves, so they can sell more.

I would also be leary of using their copper heating loop unless you replace that yellow metal with stainless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.