wiring auxiliary fuel tank swich - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wiring auxiliary fuel tank swich

I'm putting an auxiliary fuel tank on my truck.can I use a switch that is on,off,on or must I use a switch made for an auxiliary fuel switch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That depends on the valve you use. With a more expensive valve like the one from Greasecar, you can use a normal on/off switch. In one position the switch would provide 12v, in the other there is no power but the solenoid returns to the other tank due to having a spring.

If you use a more common Pollock valve then you will need a on/on 2 pole switch. What that means is both positions are on and you are switching two different items at once. You will have 6 connections vs 2. Picture the connections like this...

1 4
2 5
3 6

The lever of the switch either moves up or down, connecting 1 to 2 and 4 to 5 or 3 to 2 and 6 to 5 in the other position. What you would do is connect 1 and 6 to ground, 3 and 4 to 12v and 2 and 5 to the two legs of the valve. When you flip the switch one way, 2 will supply 12v and 5 will supply ground. The other direction reverses that so 2 supplies ground and 5 supplies 12v. This is necessary to reverse the current and make the valve move in both directions. Alternitavely, some switches have a bridge making these connections for you but they are harder to find.

If you want to get really fancy, you can do like I did and use one of each type of valve. I can manually select one tank for return and one for feed so I can run the pump and transfer fuel between the two. Makes it easier to drop the tank that way.

Last edited by JSchuricht; 06-29-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.