Change in sound of idle on purge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Change in sound of idle on purge

Back again, I have noticed that when purging with my momentary ( have to manually hold down) switch there is a change in the sound of my engine. If I turn off engine and turn on electrical I can hear my valve switching fine so i dont think its related to the funtion of the vavle. Is this sound normal? Just noticed it tonight as I am playin with idling off veg rather than driving to experiment with clays practice of cooling turbo while burning off veg. It kind of sounds like my wench when it's paying out. Thanks for all the advise so far, it's helpin a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have a way to measure your fuel pressure while the purge valve is open?

What engine, year, etc is the truck? I.e OBS, PSD, IDI, etc..

What kind of D2 pump do you have?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM

I don't have a way to gauge pressure when valve is open. Truck is an 02 f350 with a stock lift pump. I am using wvo designs valve which is hard lined in after filtration (in supply) with check valve between the two. I only have about a week on this system (60'ish miles a day) and just heard this sound last night. Most of my purging has been while driving so I may/may not be new sound. I had a system on this truck prior with a looped return and never heard this sound while purging in the 86k that I put on it. Also have a grease car system on a 03 tdi and have never experienced a purge cycle effecting sound of motor/idle. I was thinking today that I may have held purge too long and pulled fuel away from injection potentially starving injectors? Not sure if that is possible as I have read that there is about a quart of fuel that baths in the rails to supply injectors. Not sure about that either. Is there enough draw electrically when powering the valve to make this happen? I would think that a 12 volt transfer pump would draw more and I've never noticed that sound when using one.
The purge valve is located clear back in the bed at the tank. Would extra distance factor in? Anyway, thanks for replying. I am confused as to what it would be and may need a basic explanation of a dead head system ( like the one on my truck) to help me understand. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM

It only does this when purging? The only difference in sound I hear when purging is the engine gets a bit quieter from the loss of fuel pressure.

One thing I did & many others that have DIY's did as well Is install a manual ball valve on the purge line just before the purge valve. This serves 2 purposes. If your purge valve ever sticks open I can shut the manual valve & still drive. If you don't have this & your purge valve sticks open you are dead in the water. The other reason for the manual valve is so you can close it some to restrict the flow so you don't lose all your fuel pressure when you purge. So you may just be dropping your pressure too much when you purge & your injectors don't like it.

You really should have a pressure gauge.

If you want to understand the deadhead system there is a sticky at the top of the page.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 PM

That must be what it is. Yes I only hear the sound when purging and now that you describe it as getting quieter that what the change in sound is, quieter. So that is just do to reducing fuel pressure during purge? That's a load off my mind. For some reason ( probably because of the DIY factor)!i keep expecting the entire thing to detonate, ill get over it.
I do have the sender for a pressure gauge plumbed in, just kinda burned out after install and haven't finished , plus didn't hang with my kids for a whole wknd and promised them some fun this wknd. Can't seem to get around to finishing up during work week. The ball valve is a great idea, thanks for passing that on! I'll have fuel pressure, water temp and egt gauges in a pod when I am finally done. Im hoping water temp gauge will allow me to switch earlier than I have been for years just going by stock engine temp. I have been using a 203* t-stat for last 3 years and have always wondered if I could be switching over earlier than I do.
I'd love to read the dead head info you referenced but I can't seem to find the sticky you referred to. Sorry, I'm a rookie here but I sure am appreciating all the help, thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post

One thing I did & many others that have DIY's did as well Is install a manual ball valve on the purge line just before the purge valve. This serves 2 purposes. If your purge valve ever sticks open I can shut the manual valve & still drive. If you don't have this & your purge valve sticks open you are dead in the water. The other reason for the manual valve is so you can close it some to restrict the flow so you don't lose all your fuel pressure when you purge. So you may just be dropping your pressure too much when you purge & your injectors don't like it.
Since I joined the DIY VO game I have suggested this to everyone. I even put up a thread about it years ago. My valve has saved me when my purge valve failed. I also suggest to everyone that they put a second valve at the end of the VO fuel side ( closer to the heads the better) to cut off the VO side incase of a failure. That valve has saved me 2 or 3 times from being dead on the road. I am all about redundancy anywhere I can put it!!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Since I joined the DIY VO game I have suggested this to everyone. I even put up a thread about it years ago. My valve has saved me when my purge valve failed. I also suggest to everyone that they put a second valve at the end of the VO fuel side ( closer to the heads the better) to cut off the VO side incase of a failure. That valve has saved me 2 or 3 times from being dead on the road. I am all about redundancy anywhere I can put it!!
Actually I got this idea from you. I have 3 shut offs in total for the VO. One just before the tee to the heads, one on the purge & one on the line from the tank to the pump. Also have shutoffs on the coolant feed & return. They have all been necessary at one point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.