OBS Deadhead or Return questionair - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS Deadhead or Return questionair

I have been reading for so long over the last few weeks my head hurts. You all have great things on here and have helped in so many ways.

Edit*****
I see people do both systems on the OBS. I am planning on converting to VO

I will do a fuel bowl delete with electric pump on the D2 side!

My question is this:

What system works best? Please give pros and cons and how long you have been running your systems.

I like the deadhead because I can put check valves at the heads and purge times are quick.

I like the return because you don't have fuel starvation in some of the injectors.

Ahhhhhhhhh the decisions. Thank you all

Eric

Last edited by bigtoejones; 04-27-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The OBS system is a return system, it's the SD's that have a dead head design. You can purge the return system easier than a dead head system. With a dead head system the air has no where to go but out the injectors, with a return system you can get almost all of the air out just by cycling the key a few times.

That being said I have a Strictly Diesel system on my 00 and a Irate system on my 95. I like the Strictly Diesel system better. If I had to do my 95 over again I would probably get the Strictly Diesel return and the Irate pump/filter unless Dennis finally put a kit together for the pump.

Irate

Strictly
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have two SD 7.3's. Both "converted" per se, however I have stopped running WVO in favor of B100 year around.

My 99 has two FASS HPFP's, one on each side (D2 and B100). This truck is stage 2 injectors and a Fuel lab regulated return. 150K miles on the DIY conversion and it runs great.

My 03 has a stock D2 side, and DIY conversion. FASS HPFP on the B100 side, completely dead headed. No purge Valve. I run Veggiegarage.com top end kit with braided stainless and laminate over it. Check valves instaled in the heads. With that said, I recomend not putting checks in the heads, and several others have too realized this is not the ideal place for them. My short term goal, as time permits, is to have Dave at Veggiegarage.com build me up some custom lines (stainless braid) and put the check valves at the exit of the stock fuel bowl where heat and vibration would be significantly less, and replacement is a breeze. This would abandon the stock steel fuel lines, and leave the stock D2 regulator intact.

No matter what, I recomend convert your OBS truck to all Efuel ala' SD style, or similar. The OBS trucks need efuel on the D2 side for successful conversion IMO. Having done a few that way, it makes the system as a whole much less troublesome and more reliable.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With the lift pump gone do you see an improvement in hp, uphill performace, ect.?

veggin I have read some of your old posts and am glad you replied to this. Do you run bio because of climate? I live in southern Arizona and cold to us is 30 in the winter for a low and 60 for a high. Real cold here! Any info you have from your wvo days would be awesome, pics or diagrams.

Thank you
Eric

Last edited by bigtoejones; 04-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 AM

Personally, if I lived in Southern AZ, I wouldnt even be considering WVO. It would be B100 all the way.

I switched to B100 not for the climate as much as the health of the engine. Ive seen way too much top side problems caused by WVO. Yes, a fraction of this may be caused by climate, but, with B100, you wouldnt have to do anything to the vehicle. In addition, WVO is not friendly to VW TDI's, not long term anyway. I experienced IP issues, and them bad boys are NOT cheap. I have now chosen to convert the fuel, not the vehicle.

I have learned a LOT running WVO, and the process to make very high quality B100 was rooted in my experience with WVO. I water wash, and honestly the BioPro for small scale production cannot be beat. NO worries about fuel quality and cleanliness when CF'ing the oil, and the reactions are amazing when the feedstock is bone dry. A 27/3 test is a breeze with clean, dry feedstocks. I should really write up a post about just operating a BioPro and the 80/20 process, although, the overwhalming majority of viewers here are interested in WVO, not B100. For future reference, those interested in this process, contact me.....

This all is just my $.02. Yes, WVO served me well for a long long time, however, after making a significant capital investment in producing B100 (see signature), I would not change back. Its just a better fuel in my opinion.....again....just my opinion.

Last edited by vegginpsd; 04-27-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 AM

And to answer a question posed above, by adding a simple two port purge valve, purging a deadhead system is nearly instant. You will eliminate the fuel form the heads as fast as your D2 pump can supply it. Its simply a matter of installing a purge valve, to route fuel around the check valve in the VO side. This allows fuel to travel backward through the system, relacing the VO in the lines with D2. Simple and easy. Purge time would be around 10 seconds or less.

I purge my 99 with regulated return for 5-10 seconds. I only do this when temps are below 32*F for extended periods of time since switching to B100.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Didn't realize you were trying to purge wvo, that changes things a bit. I don't have any experience in that department so go with what vegginpsd says.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
and put the check valves at the exit of the stock fuel bowl where heat and vibration would be significantly less, and replacement is a breeze. This would abandon the stock steel fuel lines, and leave the stock D2 regulator intact.
Thats exactly what i'm doing now, Veg. using AN fittings off bowl/heads and running my own lines to heads, eliminating the oem hardlines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.