Biodiesel and lard or Hydrogenated stock - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Cynic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Biodiesel and lard or Hydrogenated stock

Is there any rule about using Hydrogenated oils or lard to make biodiesel? I'm having trouble finding info about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

all of the recipe's that i've seen only use vegetable based oils.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Cynic

I found some random info, but most of it isn't clear.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
Is there any rule about using Hydrogenated oils or lard to make biodiesel? I'm having trouble finding info about it.
You can use it, but it will have terrible cold weather properties. You can use whatever you want to make the fuel, but your "lard" will need to be in liquid form. If everything tritrates low, your good.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
You can use it, but it will have terrible cold weather properties. You can use whatever you want to make the fuel, but your "lard" will need to be in liquid form. If everything tritrates low, your good.
Interesting. I just read that lard will be fine, as long as you separate the glycerin asap and then let it sit after another cycle and remove the glycerin again. It also said that lard works great in a B50 mix and to use it in warm climates. I'm in Texas so I think I'm good.

I have a donut shop that will give me all of there used oil. I looked at it, and it's a solid. It's not a "healthy" donut shop, but those Korean's SURE CAN MAKE A DAMN GOOD donut. It's better than Krispy Kreme.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can make biodiesel out of any triglycerides(fats and vegetable oils) If you eat bacon, save the grease in a jar. After you get a jar or two full, take one out of the fridge and put it in a pan of hot water to melt it. The water and solids will go to the bottom. Pour off about 500ml of the bacon grease, titrate, heat, and mix with the methoxide as you would with veg oil. I tried this about a year ago and the oil titrated at 3.25 and made the prettiest light yellow biodiesel you ever saw. And it doesn't go back solid at room temp like bacon grease would. Biodiesel out of 100% pig fat.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any oil or fat is "FAIR GAME"

Hello all,
Any plant or animal based oil is fai game to make biofuel. As previously mentioned by another poster, their methyl-ester based fuel will gel at higher temps.
If you do a web search for feedstock oil gel points you should find what you need.
Because you change the lard or fully hydrogenated oil into a methyl ester. The temperature that the fuel will gel lowers but can still be solid at 50-60 deg. F. So here in the northeast it would only be practical to use in the summer months or as home heating fuel, if you tank is an indoor tank and warmer than the gel point of the methyl ester fuel derivative.
Best regards,
Joe.D
Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Cynic

Good info guys. Keep it coming! I'm trying to figure out how to build a biodiesel processor now.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking Bio processor can be crude to complex

Hello all,
I just wanted to say too all especially dirkO. Do not let makeing Bio fuel try to overwhelm you....it is basic and easy but must be treated with respect!
Respect the chemicals that you use ,(Highly flammable,toxic with high exposure concentration and caustic) knowledgeable about the basic process.
But you can make fuel in something as simple as a 5 gallon jug, it is far far from rocket science.
But "SAFETY" should be the first thing thought about and practised with all chemical reaction to happen effiecently.
Knowledge of the process can be found at the bio forums on the web.
There alot of people out willing to help.
I have made approx. 600 gallons+ of bio....all just useing simple 55 gallon steel drums. No welded in bungs or standpipes complex PID,s or power supplies. Just basic pumps, screw in hot water heater elements, steel drums industrial sock filter etc.
My as yet online 80 gallon vertical processor, has PID ccontroller with 4 (J) type thermocouples for input temperature. Dual 5500 watt heating elements that are powered by a 80 amp SSR power controller. Dual air operated diaphragm pumps for mixing.A sealed methoxide injection cylinder. I Also installed a 3"X48" long condersor to extract the excess methanol for reuse.
This unit is completely sealed and vapor proof.
So here you can see two different extremes to make quality bio-fuel. One low teck, low buck and one low teck but high buck.
What you really need to make bio is :the desire, safe working area and the need to get GRUNGY and OILY DOWN and DIRTY!
Best Regards,
Joe.D
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Cynic

I'm already starting to collect old oil. How long can it sit before turning it into biodiesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.