FPR question with WVO conversion.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FPR question with WVO conversion....

To add to my other questions threads.......On my 1996 powerstroke, I'm doing my efuel before my full conversion next month. I'm doing a DIY setup, ideas borrowed from lots of sources. 2 SEPARATE side by side systems, 2 pumps, 2 spin-on's, 2 FPR's. I want to use the stock Banjo for D2 input, with a check valve at the Banjo, then use the stock return outputs in the front of the heads for WVO input, with another check valve there. This way, no 3-way valves to ever leak fuel in between; I'll have a 2-way purge valve between the D2 return and the WVO input, so I can use my D2 return line pressure to purge out the FPHE and WVO pump. Both systems will have regulated returns for each, but I'm confused as to how to hook up the FPR's. Typically, the OBS efuel conversions use the stock banjo for fuel IN, and the lines on the front of the engine for OUT (return). People hook up the stock return lines to both sides of a bypass style (whatever brand you buy) 3-port fuel pressure regulator, then hook up the return line on the bottom of the FPR to the stock return line.
Can I use a 3-port FPR inline?? Sorry if this is a dumb question. There weren't any instructions with the regulator I bought--just diagrams for what size fittings, o-rings, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Im sorry Nate, you lost me shortly after the fist couple sentences.

Here is the simpliest, effective way to roll. Proven and reliable.
You seem to have over anylized this whole thing. Sorry to hate, but you seem to have over-thunked the whole thing.

CHeck this out.....

Another DIY WVO Build
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM

That's a great setup, and I do appreciate your referencing it, but that is not the way I want to do it.

I am not going to use the FASS pump at this point, even though it is already sitting in my living room in a box. After more reading, and talking to a couple installers of the equipment, I don't want a FASS, or any other internally regulated pump.

Simple is good, but I want bulletproof. 2 stand-alone, completely separated, not using ANY shared FPR or (even the start of) the return line.

What I have decided to do: D2 goes into a FPR, then into the a check valve, then into the banjo fitting. Return line is off the FPR.
WVO goes in through a FPR, then check valve first into (stock fuel return) front of each head. The WVO return goes out through its own separate FPR return output.

******All I am asking is whether or not a FPR will operate correctly if you run it in-line, instead of as the dead-end of a fuel system.*************

Last edited by Woodturner Nate; 03-09-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Yes you can run it inline but you should have it as close to engine as you can get it because the farther away from the engine it is then the harder it will work and that is why Ford put the stock FPR on the return line. Out of curiosity what fuel pump are you using for vegetable oil that is better then a FASS?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Out of curiosity what fuel pump are you using for vegetable oil that is better then a FASS?

I too was wondering the same, but was afraid to ask.

Maybe I can learn something here, but the round head FASS HPFP with the 23A motor cannot be beat, period.

I have used many, and there is no comparison. Not carter, surely not the one from WVO designs, definately not the Raptor (ala Air dog).
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Yes you can run it inline but you should have it as close to engine as you can get it because the farther away from the engine it is then the harder it will work and that is why Ford put the stock FPR on the return line. Out of curiosity what fuel pump are you using for vegetable oil that is better then a FASS?

This is what I needed to know. As far as the pump is concerned, I'll have to keep y'all guessin. I almost didn't include it in the comment, as I didn't want to get chastised for it. There are so many FASS devotees on this and every veg forum. But there are plenty of guys that don't like the FASS, or that love the raptor, or hate it, etc. Pumps are pumps. I'll post an update on the build later this month as I have time.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM

in case it helps to make it easier to design: all an FPR does is slow down or speed up the flow of fuel. You can literally take a ball valve and use that as FPR.

My question to you: Seems like you are new to vegetable oil so the question on everyones mind is what's this magical fuel pump? I have tried them all and the only one that can stand up to the challenge that has been used for over 50k miles is FASS. wether you like them or not FASS is it. Whatever pump you are buying make sure you get 2 of them because you always run the chance of it breaking down in the middle of nowhere at the worst of times. It's happened to 98% of WVO users. I hope someone isnt feeding you BS about pumps because they simply cant keep the 55+ psi our trucks require. There is the BFA scorpion but even that thing is pretty new.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
in case it helps to make it easier to design: all an FPR does is slow down or speed up the flow of fuel. You can literally take a ball valve and use that as FPR.

Yes and no. A regulator has less to do about volume than PRESSURE. As the demand changes, you need the pressure to remain constant. Volume is the vairable, pressure is the constant.

My question to you: Seems like you are new to vegetable oil so the question on everyones mind is what's this magical fuel pump? I have tried them all and the only one that can stand up to the challenge that has been used for over 50k miles is FASS. wether you like them or not FASS is it. Whatever pump you are buying make sure you get 2 of them because you always run the chance of it breaking down in the middle of nowhere at the worst of times. It's happened to 98% of WVO users. I hope someone isnt feeding you BS about pumps because they simply cant keep the 55+ psi our trucks require. There is the BFA scorpion but even that thing is pretty new.
A pump is also only as good as the warranty and the company standing behind it. FASS is the one to roll with. Reliable. Proven. Guarenteed.

Fass has been around a long time, and has proven that they are weathering the storm.

Last edited by vegginpsd; 03-11-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: humor
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Already bought 2 pumps. I can't afford 2 FASS pumps, and I've read too many threads in various biofuel forums about broken FASS pumps. Whether or not it's from user error is another matter entirely, but I fell out of love with the idea of the FASS, whether or not they are guaranteed. They may be working GREAT for you, but I accept ALL responsibility for what I'm doing, and you can all tell me "I told you so" later if it ends there. I won't be sore about it. The guy whose help I'm getting with my design has over 100K on his original pump.

Props on the Tommy Boy link--funny as hell movie.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodturner Nate View Post
The guy whose help I'm getting with my design has over 100K on his original pump.
Im dying to know what pump hes running.....do tell!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.