Best motor to run on WVO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best motor to run on WVO

I am new to the Powerstroke world and wondering which engine is best to run on WVO? I haven't purchased a truck yet but need to soon... It will be used with less then 120,000 miles and probably never run on WVO before.
Thanks in advance for the help!

-Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally, I'd say a 99-03 7.3. They seem to be the most tolerant when it comes to fuel quality. The 6.0's have been doing well also. Just make sure you convert the truck the right way: two tank system, don't run veg through your diesel fuel lines / filters, etc.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks Snake! Yeah I live way up North and can't do anything other then a heated second tank. I get my oil filtered to as low as 0.5 micron and also run on board filters too. No sense in messing around! The 7.3l don't seem to be quite as common as the 6.0l...glad to hear those are doing good on the veg!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM

The trick is going to be finding a 7.3 with low mileage. I traveled 1500 miles to find mine in West Virginia. NO RUST and the miles were right, be be prepared to pay the price. The 99-03 SD truck with low miles with CCSB lariat sthat are nice can bring $16K-$20K plus. Just so ya know.

I concur, the 7.3 is the prefered platform. A properly updated 6 litre can be a more cost effective alternative as the 03.5-06 are usually cheaper.

My next one is going to be a 6 leaker. CCSB King Ranch.

I no longer run WVO, now only running B100, but the next one is gonna be crazy built 6.0 in the 500HP range.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Best way to set up WVO....

Hey guys, I am new to the site and since this is a hot thread I would like to ask what system or company offers the best WVO / WMO conversion kit for the 7.3 Diesel. I have an 01 7.3 and am trying to figure out the best way to go about this, ether by buying a kit from Bio Fuel Technologies. There was a company WVO Designs that seemed to look good

[URL="http://www.wvodesigns.com/blog/the-7-3-ford-powerstroke-made-for-wvo/"]

I would like to have a system that I could filter out WVO so I would not have to off load it to filter it, so I am guessing that a centrifuge is out.

I dont know much about WVO other than it would save me a lot in the long run but, I don't want to hurt my engine in the process.

Any Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, would be most welcome.

Thanks,

James
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Re: Best motor to run on WVO

James,
Try golden fuel systems! They have the best (IMO) on the go WVO system!

Sent from my RAZR M
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM

I'll respectfully disagree, and will step aside as numerous other members offer the same feedback. Hands down, bar none, the best conversion kits for the 7.3 and 6.0 are offered by Biofuels Technologies.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I'll respectfully disagree, and will step aside as numerous other members offer the same feedback. Hands down, bar none, the best conversion kits for the 7.3 and 6.0 are offered by Biofuels Technologies.
Off the shelf, bolt on system, yes, I agree with Snake.
Could I have purchased them for my last two conversions for my personal trucks? YES....Did I, absolutely not.

THere are hundreds if not thousands of happy V3 owners. They have some impressive machine work, and a "neat" purge feature....however they have some engineered in safeguards that have become pitfalls, especially in the coldest climates. I dont want to make this a "Bash this sytem or Bash that system" at all. THe point I want to make is this.....

Whatever system you decide on, you need to fully understand the theory behind WVO, and exactly why and how the system is set up to do what it does.

As far as "on the go filtration systems"....they all are grossly inadequate in my opinion. Comparing a well set up gravity fed centrifuge to a "ALL IN ONE BOX" filtration system is comparing a 1950's MASH hospital to the University Medical Center. NO FILTER WILL DO THE JOB OF A PROPERLY BUILT GRAVITY FED CF SYSTEM. If I personally knew of a better, more thourough system to clean WVO, I would own it. Dont waste your time or money on anything but a gravty fed, open top CF that is Made IN America.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello James, I have a 51 gallon aluminum transfer tank with heating coil built specifically for wvo use. I live in Michigan, pm if you are interested.

To the OP, I used a V3 on a 2002 Superduty for two years without fail. When running the vegetable oil it was my experience that the more often you change your filter, the better your rig will run. In those two years the vegetable ran the truck approximately 22,000 miles and diesel ran it for about 6,300 miles. When sold it still used the original fass fuel pump, while there were many owners with pump failures. In any system it will require proper processing of the waste oil before use.

Good luck, Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.