Running Bio without modifican - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running Bio without modifican

I'm looking at getting a 6.4 in the spring/summer and I'm wondering if I can run wvo mixed like B20 or B50 just by pouring it in the fuel tank without modifying the truck to run it is that a possibility? Is it even possible to run B20 in a 6.4 or what?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garett742 View Post
I'm looking at getting a 6.4 in the spring/summer and I'm wondering if I can run wvo mixed like B20 or B50 just by pouring it in the fuel tank without modifying the truck to run it is that a possibility? Is it even possible to run B20 in a 6.4 or what?!

Im confused.
You asked about running wvo then said B20 or B50....

B20 is 80% D2 and 20% Biodiesel
B50 is 50% D2 and 50% Biodiesel
WVO is waste vegetable oil.

I dont own a 6.4, but if memory serves, the mnual says something like B5 or B10. I would, however, not have a problem B20 or slightly greater if the wether was consistant with operation.

I would never recomend WVO mixed with d2 in that engine or any other, if that helps answer your question.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM

I thought B20 was WVO mixed with diesel and made it biodiesel like I said Im pretty green on this subject I read a few threads last night and Okay Ill take your advice and steer away from wvo mixed with diesel
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garett742 View Post
I thought B20 was WVO mixed with diesel and made it biodiesel like I said Im pretty green on this subject I read a few threads last night and Okay Ill take your advice and steer away from wvo mixed with diesel
Cool.
If it is biodiesel, then Yes, it would be fine. WVO, mixing would likely cause more damage and expense than you could possibly save.

Stick around though. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys hanging around here, and they too likely will chime in.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

WVO is waste vegetable oil. That means it has had some sort of interaction with cooking already. I make biofuel (commercially) from canola/soya depending on which is cheaper but this is virgin....crushed and extracted straight from seed.

Any truck after 94 should be fine to run on B100. The majority of manufacturers upgraded their seals at this point to Viton. I have a 96 and have been running B100 for 2 years with no problems. Only thing that you may encounter (apart from the gelling at -2 to -7 depending on raw material) is a clogged filter. This is a result from the biofuel being a natural cleaner and can agitate the sediment in the fuel tanks from the dirty diesel so carry around a spare filter.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
Only thing that you may encounter (apart from the gelling at -2 to -7 depending on raw material) is a clogged filter.

This is a temp in Celcius, unless Rob knows something revolutionary and will soon become a millionaire (or disappear forever )

Big oil would be interrsted in "having a chat" if B100 gets temperature stabilized below 0*F!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wish I did know something different! I have been making this stuff for over 10 years now. My company is the main supplier to Chevron up here in BC.

To make things interesting and if you do have trouble with temperatures I your region then naturally blend with either diesel or I have used paint thinner (10% blend) but depends what is cheaper at that time.

I only got stuck one time in the 2 years running B100 in this truck when we had an unexpected cold snap of -7C which have me a fuel filter warning immediately. Quick drive to gas station and mix solved my issue! (I did have to change out the filter though)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
I wish I did know something different! I have been making this stuff for over 10 years now. My company is the main supplier to Chevron up here in BC.

To make things interesting and if you do have trouble with temperatures I your region then naturally blend with either diesel or I have used paint thinner (10% blend) but depends what is cheaper at that time.

I only got stuck one time in the 2 years running B100 in this truck when we had an unexpected cold snap of -7C which have me a fuel filter warning immediately. Quick drive to gas station and mix solved my issue! (I did have to change out the filter though)
PAINT THINNER!?!?! holy cow!
Have you ever heard of issues with common rail engines using that blend? I mean I'm pretty certain you could feed the 7.3 road tar but the new trucks I would think it would get too hot and evaporate in the rail and make bubbles in your system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.