OBS conversion? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS conversion?

Hey veg heads. So I hang out on the OBS board a lot but for some reason I've never been over here. Which is kinda funny because I bought this truck almost two years ago with the intention of converting to grease.
I'd like to use my rear tank for grease and my front tank for standard d2. While I'd like to switch to an efuel system I just rebuilt my mechanical system a couple months back so I'm going to ride that for the time being.
I've got a couple local sources for veg oil (tank ready).
I live pretty high up in the southern Rockies and winters can get pretty cold and even summer nights get down into the 40's.
So, what do I need to do to start running veggie back there .....and retain the ability to run d2 off that tank still... If that's possible?
I'm sure ill have a bunch of other questions but I think this will get me started.
Thanks gentlemen. Truck details are in my sig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Re: OBS conversion?

Well I'm on my phone so i have no sign info so I'm going blind. But here we go anyway.

First off IF you are wanting to run veg in the rear tank the 1st tthing you news to do is get a superduty tank. The veg will turn into Polly in your stock steel tank and no one wants that.

Are you wanting to do a DIY kit or buy a built kit and install it.

IMHO to do it right you need to get an efuel system set up. Once you have deleted your fuel bowl then start the veg. If your running a DIY or a prefab kit you will want to share the minimum ammount of components. A fuel bowl full of cold veg just sounds like a nightmare to me.

How long have you been looking into running wvo? And what do you mean by you have oil tank ready?

Vandy
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A LOT more research...

Just a bit of advice, so don't take this the wrong way. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, and you can learn a lot like i have, but in order to do so you need to educate yourself as best you can.

Asking questions like "what do i have to do to start running veg?" will not get you the answers you are looking for. The most knowledgeable guys on here have been at this for years and are more than happy to shed that knowledge on you, but only if you ask intelligent questions.

That being said i can shed light on a few things for you. I currently do not have my system installed, but sitting in boxes on my shop floor waiting for some spare time to be installed. To date i am into parts approximately $2K. That doesn't include the efuel conversion i will have to do once i install my veg system, that will likely run another $500. Then you have the oil filtration system which includes my diy built centrifuge which all together ran me around $2k. Realistically i will have somewhere close to $5k invested in the conversion and that is without collecting one drop of oil. I did at one time have about 450gal of oil stock piled and a few sources lined up, but after work started getting crazy busy i gave it all away to my buddy so it didn't go bad.

To put it mildly this is not just something you do, it is a life style. its a huge commitment if you are serious about it. If not done correctly could almost destroy a perfectly good motor.

The best advice is read, read, read, and then read some more. Gather as much info as you can, design your system, and then come back and ask all the right questions.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
A LOT more research...

Just a bit of advice, so don't take this the wrong way. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, and you can learn a lot like i have, but in order to do so you need to educate yourself as best you can.

Asking questions like "what do i have to do to start running veg?" will not get you the answers you are looking for. The most knowledgeable guys on here have been at this for years and are more than happy to shed that knowledge on you, but only if you ask intelligent questions.

That being said i can shed light on a few things for you. I currently do not have my system installed, but sitting in boxes on my shop floor waiting for some spare time to be installed. To date i am into parts approximately $2K. That doesn't include the efuel conversion i will have to do once i install my veg system, that will likely run another $500. Then you have the oil filtration system which includes my diy built centrifuge which all together ran me around $2k. Realistically i will have somewhere close to $5k invested in the conversion and that is without collecting one drop of oil. I did at one time have about 450gal of oil stock piled and a few sources lined up, but after work started getting crazy busy i gave it all away to my buddy so it didn't go bad.

To put it mildly this is not just something you do, it is a life style. its a huge commitment if you are serious about it. If not done correctly could almost destroy a perfectly good motor.

The best advice is read, read, read, and then read some more. Gather as much info as you can, design your system, and then come back and ask all the right questions.
Very well said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.