Decrease In MPGs With BioDiesel B20? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decrease In MPGs With BioDiesel B20?

Any one notice a decrease in MPGs while running BioDiesel B20? I ran a hand full of tanks of B20 and seemed to get better MPGs with regular diesel+2 stroke oil. If I remeber correctly regular diesel burns hotter than BioDiesel? I like the fact of BioDiesel cleans the fuel system and not having to add 2 stroke oil but probaly wont run it again due to MPGs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM

I'm a huge proponent of biodiesel but yes, I noticed a pretty good drop in MPG running B20 and beyond. It's not a huge drop, but if you are paying any more for the B20 than normal fuel - not worth it IMO. I run it now and then, to clean things out, but that's it.
Good luck -
Scott
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM

it is cheaper or the same as regular diesel
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has a lower calorific value, same as wvo - have you tried a cetane improver
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I saw roughly the same MPG with B20 and running DieselKleen at the same time. Around here the Biodiesel price drops lag dino-diesel. At times, it's .10/gal more. I'll run dino-diesel until the price catches up.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardlanish View Post
It has a lower calorific value, same as wvo - have you tried a cetane improver
Thats the first I have ever refered to as such. Did you mean BTU's?
The difference between Quality B100 and D2 for me is negligible.

The difference between B100 and WVO is tremendous in my vehicles. I will never run WVO again, ever.....Thats a whole different debate. Sorry if I am hijacking.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
Thats the first I have ever refered to as such. Did you mean BTU's?
The difference between Quality B100 and D2 for me is negligible.

The difference between B100 and WVO is tremendous in my vehicles. I will never run WVO again, ever.....Thats a whole different debate. Sorry if I am hijacking.
I am sure that the caloric value, which is typically measured in BTUs per unit volume, is greater for biodiesel and any vegetable oil over petroleum diesel; however, if measured in units per mass, then it is the other way around. Nonetheless, we burn fuel by volume, not by weight, so the MPGs, should be greater for biodiesel, and waste oil, over petroleum diesel, as long as it is burned properly.

I have read numerous reports on alternative diesel fuel forums of a loss in mileage when burning biodiesel at even as low a concentration as B20, regardless of the diesel engine running it. So, I am curious, vegginpsd, when you run B100, are you running it in your heated two-tanks system. If so, then heating biodiesel might be the solution for improving its combustion in a diesel engine.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

vegginpsd - we used to have BTU but going metric changed a lot of measurements - having said that I still think inches/feet and pounds/hundredweights
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Yes, ardlanish, going metric means we are now talking about joules/Liter, or per kilogram, but I was raised both in the USA and in the British Common Wealth, so I am familiar with chains, roods furlongs, penny-weights, drams, etc. as well.

I think vegginpsd is on to something burning biodiesel in a heated fuel system. It is common practice in Europe to install a flat plate heat exchanger (FPHE) to improve the combustion of WVO and biodiesel. Perhaps it should become common practice here as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbiodiesel View Post
I think vegginpsd is on to something burning biodiesel in a heated fuel system. It is common practice in Europe to install a flat plate heat exchanger (FPHE) to improve the combustion of WVO and biodiesel. Perhaps it should become common practice here as well.

I dont think it makes two squirts of piss (pardon the blending pun)difference EXCEPT one major factor....which may come as a surpise to a guy living in the dessert...

Biodiesel gels at +/- 32*F. This morning at -11*F, traveling at 60 MPH I dont think I could develope 65 PSI and have adequate volume any other way but a heated system. A 100 FPHE would not be the answer either. A heated tank, TIH and a good pump and hot filter is required. In addition, in temps sustained over 32*F, I merely turn a ball valve on the system and cut the heat (coolant).

SOOOOOOOO, with temps above the gel point, heat is not required. Thus I dont believe your theory means a damn thing.

Sure wish I could say I missed you in your all too brief absence, Jeff, because I didnt, not even a lil bit.

Last edited by vegginpsd; 01-05-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.