Feedback on an Idea - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Feedback on an Idea

Been doing a bit of reading and contemplating the idea of alternative fuels since my drives could GREATLY increase in distance soon. Seems a good group of people use/run ATF and I'm considering it also. It's not for my trucks in the sig, I'll be picking up another rig (thinking TDI Jetta) but let me know what you think about this.

Filtering....

55 gallon drum pre-screened at 175microns settling for a min of 1 week

Pumped through 10 and 5 micron filters to another settling tank

This tank is cut with 10% RUG (or as required) and settled for another week or so (hear this helps pull a lot of stuff out)

Then a final filter of 1 or .5 micron sock filter to the final tank.

All tanks will pull from the upper 3/4s only.

Burning it....

Thinking about running a two tank(heated) system. Wouldn't this help?

Also going to start at lower mix percentage and work my way up a bit...

What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM

I have run WVO and B100 in ALH and PD jettas for years.

I cannot recomend WVO, as I had little success.

I can recomend B100 in ALH and PD TDI's

Anything else other than B100 or blends of B100 with D2 I highly discourage.

ATF is really not a good idea. These engines and injection systems, especially the PD TDI are highly sophistocated and generally dont tolerate anything other than outlined above.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I've done a bit of reading, but still fairly green in general. Where can i find some of the negatives on ATF? Almost every thread I've come across goes from ATF to WMO and i'm not interested in WMO

I honestly haven't seem to come across to many as long as it's filtered properly... Any links or threads would be great.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM

Dont take these lil PD and ALH engines lightly. They are very sophistocated.

Run your question past these guys:

Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community

They will learn ya. Good luck with it.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM

That doesn't answer my question at all tho really... Most of the people there will complain about the emissions not actually teach me anything
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM

ok
what do ya want to know?

I will share this:
Filtering waste oils till the cows come home is not enough.
Gravity CF is the only way to go, in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Well I've heard plenty of success stories...

Why should one NOT use ATF leaving emissions and red dye out of it...

Things I atleast think I know...

1. You can filter/CF/Settle it enough to be safe
2. you can cut if with RUG and/or dilute it with diesel to overcome the viscosity issues (does cutting with RUG help remove material in suspension? I swear I read that)
3. Heating it should help even more with the viscosity issues.. Think 2 tank WVO system

I guess what is wrong with these statements, and what else do I need to know?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Knock yourself out.
Im just saying, having messed with almost everything possible in wvo, wvo conversions, and B100 including B? blends..IN AN ACTUAL ALH AND PD VW....

I am pretty sure that the Injectors in a PD will get a real kick out of being fed ATF.....for a very short period of time. Then you will be dropping 2k plus labor.

THe ALH injectors will likely tolerate it for a while, however, I dont believe the pump will. Them little honeys are over $1200 each.

I have replaved 2 IP's on the ALH before I got off of WVO.....and yes, I have converted many ALH and PD VW TDI they seem to not tolerate anything but biodiesel or blends of biodiesel with D2.

If that is not what you wanted to hear, Im sorry. Run your questions past the guys over at the Club...you will learn a lot there.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM

not set on a jetta or ATF.. really just talking outloud..

So what makes the injectors and pumps not up to the task? If you can match viscosity (or very close) and heat it (even better???) Note it will be heated before it ever touches the pump or injectors (two tank system and I live in the south so cold starts = 40 degrees
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Because they are NOT designed for heavy fuel.

Do you know how much heat comes out of a 1.9l ALH engine at 20*F?
Answer is very little. In fact, later models came with glow plugs in the coolant stream to raise coolant temps. Electric assist via a vegtherm is like pissing in the wind. It just isnt enough.

I fear that anything you will potentially save burning ATF will be quickly absorbed by repairing a car that routinely gets 45-52 MPG on D2.

I would be thinking more about a Benz. Those are very forgiving. Or abandon the whole theory, buy a nice Jetta or Passat tdi, and fill it full of d2 and drive it 300-400K miles.

My daily driver is at about 250K. I got it at 117K, and its been on B100 for the overwhealming majority of its life with me. Its been flawless since I replaced injectors and gave up on WVO. I think you will experience the same or worse fate with ATF. And yes, the car has a two tank system, TIH, 20 FPHE, a FRB5 lift pump, MB coolant circulation pump, VW cold front, insulated lines, and for a short time a vegtherm. If you can think any angle I overlooked, please let me know because I could not think of anything else to do to get temps up for waste oils. The other car is an ALH, set up in the same manor, and could never see 160*F fuel temps for WVO use at temps less than 20*F. So, like I said maybe an old Benz in the answer to your question, because I am pretty sure an ALH or PD VW is not the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.