Farmer makes diesle fuel by blending gasoline with vegetable oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Farmer makes diesle fuel by blending gasoline with vegetable oil

Farmer using sunflower oil mixed with gasoline on his farm vehicles, using
specific gravity as his blend indicator
Daniel (sodbust) McAmoil
Bio-Diesel: Farm Grown Profit

Daniel's data
Fuel mix, temperature, specific gravity
50% gas/50% sunflower oil mix at -20f (-29c) has a specific gravity of .850
12.5% gas/87.5% sunflower oil mix at 75f (24c) has a specific gravity of .870
12.5% gas/87.5% sunflower oil mix at 170f (76.7c) has a specific gravity of .850
12.5% gas/87.5% sunflower oil mix at 190f (87.8c) has a specific gravity of .840

"I'm just using unleaded gas to thin the sunflower oil to match the thickness of #2 diesel so the injectors can do a good job of fogging it into the engine. I use a hydrometer calibrated from .820 to .890. Normal #2 diesel floats the hydrometer at around .850 to .865. ((I'm finding that most of the diesel fuel I'm getting this summer is down to .820 which tells me we are getting allot of jet fuel blended into our #2 diesel)). I just press, filter, add gas and go. No chemicals, washing oil, drying oil, or any engine adjustments, just as simple as
can be!"

"Every engine that I have used it in gains at least if not more than 25% power, and fuel mileage. My new R75 Gleaner with a M11 Cummins used 1 gallon an acre on regular #2 diesel, in comparison, on sunflower fuel, it uses just a tad over 1/2 gallon per acre. My '98 Dodge Pickup went from 16mpg with #2 diesel up to 24-26mpg on sunflower fuel. It's unbelievable!"

"I am sitting out here with 3/4 a million dollar rolling stock fleet and I would have to shoot off the hip to show gallons and amounts of super fuel ran in each.. I can list the items that run and run well and then would have to try and divide the total amount of fuel made between them over the years and the percent of blend or full amount of super fuel, almost impossible.

But I can say the first year with my fuel plant running,,,,, all of them ran year round the first year (365 days) on 100% home made fuel. I would guess somewhere around 28,000 to 30,000 gallons to date.
1978 Case 1070 1500 hours
Ford TW145 500 hours
Agco white 5.7 Cummins 650 hours
2007 R75 Gleaner with a M11 Cummins.. 2000 hours
7130 Case/Ih tractor with the 8.4L Cummins 1200 hours
1965 white truck with the C180 Cummins 20,000 miles
1995 KW semi with the 11L Detroit 80,000 miles
1998 Dodge ram with the 5.7L Cummins 100,000 miles
846 Ford with the L10 Cummins 3500 hours
1978 750 Versatile with the 855 small cam Cummins 2200 hours
1975 555 Versatile with the big cam 855 Cummins 1800 hours
1938 D4 Cat 200 hours
25/2,12/2,20/2,15/1,6/1 Lister ( Indian clone Listeroids) 2500 hours
87 MT 250 Mitsubishi 500 hours

This covers the diesels running on the farm other than a few water pump air cooled diesels.. We do add 8 to 12 oz. of supper fuel to all our gas engines with full tanks over 20 gallons as an upper cylinder lube,, but one has to be real careful as they donít burn the oil a clean as a diesel and can carbon a gas engine up to the point of sticking the piston rings.

Hope this helps

Daniel"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HOW BIG IS YOUR FUEL MAKING OPERATION? ANYONE DOING THIS IN OR NEAR GEORGIA? ABOUT HOW MUCH PER GALLON? ALOT OF GOOD AND BAD TALK ABOUT DIFFERENT BIO DIESELS ON THE WEB. IS IT REALLY WORTH THE RISKS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR DIESEL? ARE THERE PEOPLE OUT THERE SELLING GOOD CLEAN BIODIESEL N THE SOUTH THAT U DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PROBLEMS OR TONS OF MAINTINENCE
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8SECNOTCH View Post
HOW BIG IS YOUR FUEL MAKING OPERATION?
I make waste oil based diesel fuel in 20 gallon batches. I do not know how large a batch Daniel (sodbust) McAmoil makes, but I get the impression from my communications with him that, at least at one time, is batches were made in 55-gallon drums.
Quote:
ANYONE DOING THIS IN OR NEAR GEORGIA?
I do not know.
Quote:
ABOUT HOW MUCH PER GALLON?
Cost per gallon tends to depend upon one's methods and the cost of the source waste oil. I have made all of my filters back-flush-able, so I have not had to replace a processing or fuel filter in over 2 years. My waste oil cost is typical $0, so the only cost for me in making fuel is the cost of the gasoline that I blend with my waste oil to make diesel fuel, which is 20% at about $3/gal, so that comes to 60c per gallon.

If you are asking how much Daniel or I would sell fuel for, well, neither of us are the business of selling fuel.
Quote:
ALOT OF GOOD AND BAD TALK ABOUT DIFFERENT BIO DIESELS ON THE WEB. IS IT REALLY WORTH THE RISKS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR DIESEL? ARE THERE PEOPLE OUT THERE SELLING GOOD CLEAN BIODIESEL N THE SOUTH THAT U DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PROBLEMS OR TONS OF MAINTINENCE
I agree there are a lot of reports of bad biodiesel being sold by fuel stations, so most people make their own, and they have varying methods of burning waste oil as diesel fuel. Some methods work better than others, and the requirements for the consumer are variable as well, so one method may not work for all applications. Therefore, it is useful to have some open dialog about methods and practices, so that we can all improve our product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.