Centrifuge HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Centrifuge HELP!

Hey guys, this is about the only place I can think to ask this question. I have a pressure type centrifuge that I have ran countless gallons of both WMO and WVO. Well today while processing WMO I notice an odd sound while doing so, well I have always had vibration while doing the filtering. So I left it and it ran probably 3 or 4 hours. Continuously filter about 50 gallons. Well I shut it off as I had to go into town. Came back while it was still hot to firing it back up to proceed with filtering. and the drum wouldn't spin. I figured I had a clogged jet. I proceeded to clean the centrifuge as I normally do, got it all back together to fire back up and still nothing. I have good pressure and flow. and the drum spins fine on the center stud. I can even hear the drum rise up on the inside when I put pressure to it, but for some reason it will not spin. Anyone had this issue with the pressure type centrifuges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine (OC-50) has a check valve inline with the inlet under the bowl opposite side. It opens at 40-ish psi. I wonder if you have something going on with yours? Pretty straight forward to remove and inspect.

Is the bowl full of oil after your attempts to run it?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Banned

I have a PA biodiesel CF that has orifices on the bottom of the bowl. They could plug and prevent the bowl from spinning, so that is another place to look.

By the way, I do not use an expensive gear pump to drive my CF. I put my waste oil blend into a recycled compressor tank that is sitting on end, and I apply air pressure to the top, which drives my waste oil blend at whatever pressure I apply to the top of the tank with a pressure regulator. My PA Biodiesel CF runs at 80PSI, so that is what I set the pressure regulator at, and I open a valve to the CF, and clean fuel comes out the other end of the CF.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnOilRIG View Post
Mine (OC-50) has a check valve inline with the inlet under the bowl opposite side. It opens at 40-ish psi. I wonder if you have something going on with yours? Pretty straight forward to remove and inspect.

Is the bowl full of oil after your attempts to run it?
Mine is a knock off of the OC-50, and I figured it may have been the check valve in mine, so I removed it. And yes my bowl is full when I took it back out to inspect to see what is going on. I can hear the the bowl once pressurized rise up to the top of the stud.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbiodiesel View Post
I have a PA biodiesel CF that has orifices on the bottom of the bowl. They could plug and prevent the bowl from spinning, so that is another place to look.

By the way, I do not use an expensive gear pump to drive my CF. I put my waste oil blend into a recycled compressor tank that is sitting on end, and I apply air pressure to the top, which drives my waste oil blend at whatever pressure I apply to the top of the tank with a pressure regulator. My PA Biodiesel CF runs at 80PSI, so that is what I set the pressure regulator at, and I open a valve to the CF, and clean fuel comes out the other end of the CF.
I did look at the orifices on the bottom of the bowl, that was the first thing I checked.

Interesting way to run your CF. I think I can across a post once before of a guy who did it that way, come to think of it, I have a spare upright air tank I could do that once it is setup up right with the right fittings, or I could just use my setup I have now and process from the air tank to the barrel for a one pass setup.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you loose a spacer or something that is now "clamping" the bowl down instead of allowing it to spin? Hence the noise while running (you had not tightening it down after sound started) and after reassembly you've tightened it down past its normal spot. On my spinner, there are no parts that come off when cleaning but that doesn't mean one couldn't disintegrate during operation. Did you find anything in the bottom of your barrel?

And DID do a flow test? 2 GPM?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
Did you loose a spacer or something that is now "clamping" the bowl down instead of allowing it to spin? Hence the noise while running (you had not tightening it down after sound started) and after reassembly you've tightened it down past its normal spot. On my spinner, there are no parts that come off when cleaning but that doesn't mean one couldn't disintegrate during operation. Did you find anything in the bottom of your barrel?

And DID do a flow test? 2 GPM?
Not many parts on my set up to loose. Everything is there that was there when i first bought the set up.

Haven't done a flow test yet, but even with the pump building pressure to 85PSI the bowl should still spin, and it isnt doing anything at this point.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

flow is just as important, if not more important than the pressure.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
flow is just as important, if not more important than the pressure.
Understood, trying to figure out the best way to do that test without a hell of a mess.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you're making a hell of a mess, my guess is flow is not your problem. haha

How well do you prefilter prior to CF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.