Bogged down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bogged down

I have a 2000 7.3 which started bogging down, so pulled over changed the fuel filter which looked ok & foo i went, got 5 miles down the road same thing, took fuel filter out & put back & did another 5 miles before it did it again, did this for 40 miles & filled up with diesel 12 gallons thinking it would sort it out but i was wrong, had to do it another 2 times to get home. Then I thought I wonder if it could be the crank sensor ? so i changed it ( had one in the glove comp) & low & behold it ran great. went on a 400 mile trip the week after & a 100 miles from home started doing the same thing, so changed the sensor again & came straight home no problems. I do run a mixture of cooking oil & diesel which i have been running for 3 years with no problems, any input would be appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you run your mixture in the stock tank? Stock pump? Do you have gauges? Would be good to know what's going on with your fuel pressure. I take it it's not throwing any codes?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM

How cold is it there? the cooking oil could be gelling up on you. Check your oil level also. I don't think its related to the cps at all. So did you actually change the fuel filter at any point?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM

when u say running a mix im taking it as you fill your stock tank with the wvo and top off with the diesel?

sounds to me like your wvo is too thick and gumming up the situation. iirc thats not a good way to go about burning the stuff?

maybe someone with more practical expirience(im just a key board veg guy....for now) might chime in
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Are you burning unheated veg that is just mixed in with D2 in your stock tank? I've only heard bad stories about that scenario...
Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkCity.PSD View Post
Are you burning unheated veg that is just mixed in with D2 in your stock tank? I've only heard bad stories about that scenario...
X2
not a bad situation. More like a horrific disaster looming.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I have been running this mixture for 3 years with no problems, the only thing i did do different was using oil that i haven't had standing, so as to let the water & crap settle to the bottom. This was because i got some oil off a guy that filters it & it is so clean, I did run it thru my normal 20 micron filter before it went in the tank, just can't understand how it shuts down & then after standing for a minute starts up & runs ? The temp down here is high 80s & the engine was hot after running 200 miles. My normal mix is 5 gallon diesel, 5 gallon gas & 20 gallon oil, 3 years no problems, saved around $5000
Yes un heated even thru winter & it does get down to 15 degrees
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugger View Post
Well I have been running this mixture for 3 years with no problems, the only thing i did do different was using oil that i haven't had standing, so as to let the water & crap settle to the bottom. This was because i got some oil off a guy that filters it & it is so clean, I did run it thru my normal 20 micron filter before it went in the tank, just can't understand how it shuts down & then after standing for a minute starts up & runs ? The temp down here is high 80s & the engine was hot after running 200 miles. My normal mix is 5 gallon diesel, 5 gallon gas & 20 gallon oil, 3 years no problems, saved around $5000
Yes un heated even thru winter & it does get down to 15 degrees
I hope you have the $5K you saved. You will likely need it.
If you knowingly run cold WVO(less than 160*F) in a diesel engine, only filtered by a canister or spin on filter, wimper elsewhere.

The risks you assumed were known, calculated and obvious. I for one will be offering little help because of you assuming the risks you did.

Howver, the kindness of my heat will give you a couple clues. Namely, did you check fuel pressure? THe spring and assembly has proven to erode with wvo use. Did you look at the in tank filters? That is an obvious one there. They were never designed to run WVO. THey gather poly. Get a buzz test performed.

Other wise good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks vegginpsd

Didn't even know about intank filter, are you talking about a strainer or a proper filter, strange place to put a filter you can't get at, but think i will pull the tank & do the pipe mod people do on these engines. As for the 5 grand, only paid 10 for truck & had it 6 years. I would love to hear your theory why I have had no trouble for the last 3 years running what I have been using. I actually got the best millage I have ever got using this mixture which was 575 miles before my low level light came on. Many thanks for the reply
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM

You can only gauge "best mileage" over many tank fulls, not one. Could be driving style.
It ran fine for 3yrs because it was building up probably. My truck ran fine on different batteries till they wore out. Same idea. Just cause it DID run good doesn't mean that wasn't the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.