DIY biodiesel ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY biodiesel ?

hey guys, i drive a 07 F 350 CCLB DRW 6.0, and i drive ALOT ! 38k miles in just over 1 year ! Any of yall care to direct me to the info i need to produce my own Bio Diesel? I sure would like to reduce my PAIN at the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 AM

First things first....

Do you have WVO or new oil available to you? Also, the time and resources to make it?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM

I guess i have oil available, dont most people just ask restaurants for there waste oil?
Time? how much time is required? resources? explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
First things first....

Do you have WVO or new oil available to you? Also, the time and resources to make it?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
I guess i have oil available, dont most people just ask restaurants for there waste oil?
Time? how much time is required? resources? explain

Oh boy.....

I HIGHLY recomend you have 1000 gallons in your posession before you worry about the above question
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM

1000 gallons ? where am i going to store 1000 gal? I currently use around 3,000 gal of diesel per year. So i am wanting to make 100 gal per month bio diesel.
perhaps someone else can help me?, since i am wanting to produce a small quantity of bio diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
Oh boy.....

I HIGHLY recomend you have 1000 gallons in your posession before you worry about the above question
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
1000 gallons ? where am i going to store 1000 gal? I currently use around 3,000 gal of diesel per year. So i am wanting to make 100 gal per month bio diesel.
perhaps someone else can help me?, since i am wanting to produce a small quantity of bio diesel.

Try this:

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM

You need to make sure you have at least 1 reliable restuarant that you can get oil from. Finding WVO is not as easy as you might think. You may be lucky & live in an area where you can get it. For alot of guys though it is next to impossible to get or they have to pay for it.

If you can't get oil then everything else is a waste of time & money.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:24 PM

4 replys and not one single person pointed me to a book on how to make Bi Diesel, or said how they started making Bio Diesel. I expected more info from verterans of this Forum. I guess i will do this on my own. Veggin psd, "tells me i got to start with 1,000gal or dont bother! Really ? i highly doubt any one starts with 1,000 gals of oil there first couple of batches. I am not out to start my own refinery.
I think i can get the oil, guy i work with, his brother in law owns a restaurant, so theres my oil .

Last edited by lubbock guy; 09-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM

1000 gal may be over kill but he knows what he's talking about. Wvo isn't easy to get. I've got several buddy's with restaurants and have only talked one out if 5 gal a week free.

My advice is to read a lot. Google Bio forums. Spend about a month sifting thru all the info. Them make your decision. Bio may be good or bad for you. I started looking into Bio but was turned off on having caustic chemicals in my garage where my 1 year old plays.

Making Bio isn't as easy as grabbing some oil from a waste bin putting a cup of lye a gal of methonal and go to bed. Wake up with Bio. Its a process that takes a lot of time and resources. You have to make it a hobby. It will consume a lot more time than you think.

As far as storage. Get on craigslist and look for ibc totes. I've got a couple 275 gallon totes along with about 5 55gsl drums in the garage.

Good luck on what ever you decide. There are a lot of very knowledgable guys here. Do some reading...Google Bio diesel processors. Ask questions, and always be respectful.

I check this often and will pipe in with what little knowledge i have. I've been reading and asking retarded questions for about a year now

Vandy
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
4 replys and not one single person pointed me to a book on how to make Bi Diesel, or said how they started making Bio Diesel. I expected more info from verterans of this Forum. I guess i will do this on my own. Veggin psd, "tells me i got to start with 1,000gal or dont bother! Really ? i highly doubt any one starts with 1,000 gals of oil there first couple of batches. I am not out to start my own refinery.
I think i can get the oil, guy i work with, his brother in law owns a restaurant, so theres my oil .
First step to QUALITY B100......
SHUT mouth. OPEN mind.
READ READ READ.
GOOGLE is you best friend.

I said 1000 gallons because judging by your line of questioning, you are clueless, and your later posts prove it. Thus, telling you 1000 gallons was a buffer, figuring you would find 500. That seems like a lot but it is not. If you are wanting to burn 100 gallons a month, buy it. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours getting to where I am today. You will likely never achieve that, and surely wont do it on a forum. As far as WVO and B100 you can only learn so much from a forum. Remember, some inventing needed to occur along the way, and you pissed on the cheerios of one of the guys who have cracked a few nuts in the alternative fuel circle over the years. I can tell you the chemical formula for transesterfications and the conditions in which a complete reaction will occur and how to test for it, but I will not. You seem to know it all already.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.