filtering transmission fluid to blend - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
filtering transmission fluid to blend

I just got my first batch of fluid from a local transmission shop so now i have to start building a filter system to get all setup. I have been reading all i can but not a lot out there. I want to hear from those actually setup and let me know how is the best way to setup my filter system. As for those which have not done it i know about the claimed risks and do not need a refresher course on how it can hurt this that and the other.

So for those who are setup can you offer some guidance? I assume gravity is not enough to get it through the filters so as a guess i am thinking from barrel to pump to first filter(10 micron) to second filter( 2 micron) to centrifuge if i have one to holding tank or truck ....

any help would be wonderful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1) is all of the ATF conventional fluid (dino) or is there some synthetic

2) Whatever you decide to do to filter the ATF, make sure it includes a MAGNET.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
1) is all of the ATF conventional fluid (dino) or is there some synthetic

2) Whatever you decide to do to filter the ATF, make sure it includes a MAGNET.
What's the difference between Synthetic vs. Conventional. I burned both Dextron III and TransSyn in the past. The shop I work for does transmission flushes on Allison 2000, 3000 and 4 thousand series transmissions which yields a large quantity of used oil when I ask for it.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairgypsy View Post
I just got my first batch of fluid from a local transmission shop so now i have to start building a filter system to get all setup. I have been reading all i can but not a lot out there. I want to hear from those actually setup and let me know how is the best way to setup my filter system. As for those which have not done it i know about the claimed risks and do not need a refresher course on how it can hurt this that and the other.

So for those who are setup can you offer some guidance? I assume gravity is not enough to get it through the filters so as a guess i am thinking from barrel to pump to first filter(10 micron) to second filter( 2 micron) to centrifuge if i have one to holding tank or truck ....

any help would be wonderful
Would mess with sock filters to much, get you a CF to filter the fluid.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfever090 View Post
What's the difference between Synthetic vs. Conventional. I burned both Dextron III and TransSyn in the past. The shop I work for does transmission flushes on Allison 2000, 3000 and 4 thousand series transmissions which yields a large quantity of used oil when I ask for it.

Because synthetics are designed to NOT burn.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

One of the important questions that the OP needs to respond to is how are you going to burn it? Are you going to 2-tank it, or burn it straight, or blend it with a solvent, such as diesel, or kerosene, or gasoline.

WATF is thin enough to burn straight, but it is a little more viscous than D2, and I have found blending gasoline with my waste oils does all kinds of good things for my fuel blends, such as: most of the water and particulate precipitates out in about 24 hours of settling after blending. I find a little gasoline improves combustion, and it is an excellent winter anti-gel for my waste oil blends.

So, after blending whatever waste oil comes my way with gasoline, I leave it to settle for at least 24 hours, and often times a week. I then run it through 2 y-traps with 50-and 80 mesh screens in them successively, then I go right to a 1-micron bag filter, then to a pressure driven CF.

I pneumatically pump my fuel through the y-traps, then to the 1-micron bag filter then through the CF by using compressed air pushing on top of the waste oil blend, which is in a recycled compressor tank, so that I can pressurize the whole system to the 80 PSI needed to drive the CF.

Also, I have not found any problem with burning synthetic oils.

Last edited by beyondbiodiesel; 11-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Also interested in more data or info regarding not having a clue if the fluid is Synthetic or not as recieved
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPSDs View Post
Also interested in more data or info regarding not having a clue if the fluid is Synthetic or not as recieved
I have looked into the by products of the pyrolysis of various lubricants, plastics, etc. It appears that Synthetic lubricants are silicon lubricants and their pyrolysis results in similar products as petroleum distillates, so I believe it is a non-issue. You can find my research on that topic at this link.
http://beyondbiodiesel.org/forum/index.php?topic=305.0

My premise when making diesel fuel blends out of waste oils is to blend, then settle it for 1-7 days. Anything that does not remain in solution is removed, and the rest goes into the fuel tank after filtration.

In the 6 years that I have been burning waste oils in a diesel engine I have not found an oil that does not burn just fine on my diesel engine as long as it remains in solution through the settling period. The only oil that I have had trouble with is WMO, which tends to coke my injectors. I believe it is because WMO has a lot of ash and soot dissolved into it.

I have also read reports from a large number of people who have been burning WATF in their engines for years without trouble.

The problem that I see with WATF is that it is often contaminated with WMO. So, if you can get the WATF without WMO in it, then you should have no problem burning it on any diesel engine, even un-thinned, but I would add some solvent to it like diesel at 15% or gasoline at 5%, especially in the winter; or run it in a heated 2-tank SVO-like system.

Your original question was how to clean WATF up for fuel consumption. I use a 1-micron bag filter to process all of my waste oil blends, and it has worked great for the 2 years that I have been using it.

I also have a centrifuge, which I am very happy with, but I find most waste oils are not dirty enough to justify buying a centrifuge. I got it for processing WMO, and I find it is very effective for that. Since I now own the centrifuge I then use it as the last stage in my fuel processing, just to make sure all sub-micron particles have been removed from my waste oil blends.

Last edited by beyondbiodiesel; 12-01-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Jeff you are running these garbage blends in a fossil of a diesel engine, a 1983 GM V8 non-turbo diesel. This is NOT a PSD therefore your information is not accurate for this application.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Jeff you are running these garbage blends in a fossil of a diesel engine, a 1983 GM V8 non-turbo diesel. This is NOT a PSD therefore your information is not accurate for this application.
Lol. Here we go again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.