More HP and lower emissions on VEG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More HP and lower emissions on VEG

I know most of us burn veg (VO, WVO) to offset our crazy fuel costs and NOT for the benefits to the environment. That said, I thought ya'll might like to know that you may have more HP and are definitely putting out less emissions when you are burning the greasy.

This is not new knowledge to most of the community, but I had the emissions tester run a second emissions test on my truck with the VO system on (burnin pnut oil) and the following results were reported vs the diesel emissions test I have to send into the state:

Diesel - 230 HP
WVO - 235 HP

Diesel - Opacity at 60, 50 , 40 mph - 9, 9, 8
WVO - Opacity at 60, 50 , 40 mph - 4, 5, 4

The added HP on veg probably has to do with the FASS maintaining a more consistent and higher fuel pressure than the stocker pump on d2.

Almost 50% less opacity (particulates?) on veg is a definite bonus for all of us. Its kind of funny that we measure opacity and not what is actually IN the emissions.

Veg-on,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnOilRIG View Post
I know most of us burn veg (VO, WVO) to offset our crazy fuel costs and NOT for the benefits to the environment. That said, I thought ya'll might like to know that you may have more HP and are definitely putting out less emissions when you are burning the greasy.

This is not new knowledge to most of the community, but I had the emissions tester run a second emissions test on my truck with the VO system on (burnin pnut oil) and the following results were reported vs the diesel emissions test I have to send into the state:

Diesel - 230 HP
WVO - 235 HP

Diesel - Opacity at 60, 50 , 40 mph - 9, 9, 8
WVO - Opacity at 60, 50 , 40 mph - 4, 5, 4

The added HP on veg probably has to do with the FASS maintaining a more consistent and higher fuel pressure than the stocker pump on d2.
Almost 50% less opacity (particulates?) on veg is a definite bonus for all of us. Its kind of funny that we measure opacity and not what is actually IN the emissions.

Veg-on,
I think you are correct about the FASS pump. Studies have proven that VO will tpically produce up to 10% less horse power/TQ than D2.

NOW here is what I would like to see........the same test, done with D2 VS WMO!

That stuff is nasty.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

d2 vs. wvo vs. bioD vs. wmo

I wonder if BioD would have the same and lesser emissions vs d2...do you still run bio in a two tank heated system to combat winter gelling issues? I thought i read somewhere no veg for you anymore.

WMO would fail the emissions test outright I would imagine, although I have never seen or smelled one running on WMO so I have no experience. UOA's tell the story there, I think it has to be a 50/50 mix to avoid wearing stuff out.

The mechanic was smiling from ear to ear when it made more HP on veg. He seemed a tad skeptical when I asked if he could do it. They got a kick out of my DIY madness.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I wonder if BioD would have the same and lesser emissions vs d2...do you still run bio in a two tank heated system to combat winter gelling issues? I thought i read somewhere no veg for you anymore.

B100 would likely have the same emissions as WVO. A two tank system, is not required for b100 use above 30*F. No system modification required above 30*F for B100.

I no longer burn WVO in any of my vehicles.

WMO would fail the emissions test outright I would imagine, although I have never seen or smelled one running on WMO so I have no experience. UOA's tell the story there, I think it has to be a 50/50 mix to avoid wearing stuff out.

The mechanic was smiling from ear to ear when it made more HP on veg. He seemed a tad skeptical when I asked if he could do it. They got a kick out of my DIY madness.
The fuel likely had nothing to do with the 5 hp gain.

see above
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no bueno for me on below 30deg...most of November thru April is spent in well below 30deg and some stints below zero looking for waste deep snow. I would be gel-city without a heated system.

I get it that you're done with veg, I'd consider you an expert in the veggie arena, so it bothers me a bit that you've moved on, but to each his own. Running veg in over 10 cars at a time as you do, could drive a person crazy with all of the system issues that can arise on just one car, let alone 10. I'd imagine its way easier to make bio and make the issue the car owner's issue, not the system on the car's issue. Only my a guess though.

I pay for my veg so an added cost to process to bio of $.75/gallon makes it a little tougher to justify, that and my better half will NOT have methanol and lye anywhere near the house...and I agree. I can be a goof and working with questionably safe materials can get dicey for me.

Glad to still see you around.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
no bueno for me on below 30deg...most of November thru April is spent in well below 30deg and some stints below zero looking for waste deep snow. I would be gel-city without a heated system.

I get it that you're done with veg, I'd consider you an expert in the veggie arena, so it bothers me a bit that you've moved on, but to each his own. Running veg in over 10 cars at a time as you do, could drive a person crazy with all of the system issues that can arise on just one car, let alone 10. I'd imagine its way easier to make bio and make the issue the car owner's issue, not the system on the car's issue. Only my a guess though.

I pay for my veg so an added cost to process to bio of $.75/gallon makes it a little tougher to justify, that and my better half will NOT have methanol and lye anywhere near the house...and I agree. I can be a goof and working with questionably safe materials can get dicey for me.

Glad to still see you around.

It gets a little cool here in the winter too, sometimes day after day of below zero high temps, and -30*F is not uncomon. BUT, the beauty of B100 is this......all you have to do is get the fuel temp over........about 35*F! Not 160! In my heated garage, I dont have to purge. Drive all day, not worries with a heated system, and not purge at night. In fact, I have not purged the blue truck since November of 2011. Only minimal heat in the system is equired in the winter, and no conversion or modifications are required for about 8 months per year.

Plus the added benefit of the ability to blend D2 and B100, safely in the midship tank to lower cloud point.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 AM
I don't know nuttin....

The different types of WVO will produce different results in HP and mileage as the BTU range is different for different feedstocks from peanut oil to corn oil to soybean oil, etc. I cant find the chart that breaks them all down but I'll look some more.

Last edited by Clay Henry; 09-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Clay, thanks for posting this! Definitely good information to know... I hope to get greased soon

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Clay, where did the 6.4 go?

Veggin, What made you switch from veg to bio? Just that you don't need as much heat making it less complicated? Or was there a specific issue with veg that finally turned you off?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkCity.PSD View Post
Clay, where did the 6.4 go?
Jason Crawford (inventor of the V3) bought it and will continue the 6.4 vegi conversion to dial in a perfect design. He relocated from OR to NY for a new job and he flew down to OK last Friday and drove off in it on Monday after we lifted the cab to replace the HPFP that had failed. Did an EGR delete while we were in there also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.