wmo SMOKE control?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wmo SMOKE control??

Ok so Im new, but interested in running alternative fuels....

How do you guys control SMOKE out of your 7.3 running motor oil? I assume its a 2 stroke powerstroke when you run motor oil? Pouring out whitish gray smoke???

I heard some use DP tuner to control this? Any success? Is waste motor oil a viable fuel? Maybe mixed with transmission fluid or veggie?

Help me out guys, please?

Thanks, Floyd in Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would post this question on TDS. Alot of guys trying to run it over there.

I Have never run WMO & probably never will but I do follow it alot. I'm curious I guess.

A couple things I can offer that will help:

1. NEVER mix WVO/bio with WMO. They do not like each other & will cause you major headaches.
2. DP tuners are being used to reduce smoke from WMO. From what I have read it has helped some guys & some not. I don't think has completely emilinated smoke, just reduced it.
3. Are you planning on bledning or 2 tanking?? I know alot of guys are blending but my suggestion would be to 2 tank. Better chance for success IMHO.
4. Make sure you purchase/build a high quailty filtration system. WMO is nasty stuff & can be diffcult to clean enough to use as fuel. Some guys feel that WMO cannot be cleaned up well enough no matter what you do to it.
5. This may be the most important one. If you run accross a guy going by the name of Jeffrey S. Brooks DON'T listen to anything he says. He thinks he's gods gift to aternative fuels. HE'S NOT.

IMHO the only way to not have smoke issues with WMO is to mix it no higher then 50/50 WMO/D2. Or crack it into diesel.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok i don't know much but i have been running wmo at a mix of 50/50 in a 6.0 with non operative egr. IT TURNED MY EXHAUST LIGHT GREY WITH NO SMOKE after 26 miles. I was picking up oil at a shop and twisted up one of the mechanics. showed him the pipe and he said my 350 was a gas burner. I am running oil slow and hot through a big centrifuge. I know it is clean oil but i am afraid of coking so if anyone has any experience (no speculation please) running WMO please let me know. I do know that at 50/50 my engine is super quiet and stronger. I am momentarily limited at that mix because i do not know the viscosity limits on my truck. Do not want the fuel to thick and do not need any truck problems. This is speculation/observation but it would seem that with no smoke and a light grey tail pipe my engine is running very clean. If i had a good idea that it would not damage the 6.0 i would push the mix up near the max usable limit. If not for the viscosity i believe it would run SWMO
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have a customer using blend of WMO and E85(15-20%) and swears it dramatically reduced smoke.

Jason J
WVO Designs
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM

filtering wmo??

Hello MYTRUCKBROKE, how are you filtering your wmo in your truck? Do you have a centrifuge system of some type?

Also would running E85 lower smoke at idle versus regular gas mixed with the WMO?

Here is a general question??? Does the 7.3 normailly smoke at idle the light grey/white smoke or is that only when its got wmo, atf, in the tank??? thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 6.0 does not normally smoke at idle on diesel or 50/50 wmo diesel. I do not mix e85. i mix diesel with my wmo. I am heating the oil in a home made heat tank then gravity feeding it to a wolverine 10 inch centrifuge at about 7 gallons per hour.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM

e85 would result in an oxygenated blend. since one of the claims for e10 is lower unburnt hydrocarbons, i would expect it to generally help with that in a WMO/RUG blend(reduced smoke)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
I would post this question on TDS. Alot of guys trying to run it over there.

I Have never run WMO & probably never will but I do follow it alot. I'm curious I guess.

A couple things I can offer that will help:

1. NEVER mix WVO/bio with WMO. They do not like each other & will cause you major headaches.
2. DP tuners are being used to reduce smoke from WMO. From what I have read it has helped some guys & some not. I don't think has completely emilinated smoke, just reduced it.
3. Are you planning on bledning or 2 tanking?? I know alot of guys are blending but my suggestion would be to 2 tank. Better chance for success IMHO.
4. Make sure you purchase/build a high quailty filtration system. WMO is nasty stuff & can be diffcult to clean enough to use as fuel. Some guys feel that WMO cannot be cleaned up well enough no matter what you do to it.
5. This may be the most important one. If you run accross a guy going by the name of Jeffrey S. Brooks DON'T listen to anything he says. He thinks he's gods gift to aternative fuels. HE'S NOT.

IMHO the only way to not have smoke issues with WMO is to mix it no higher then 50/50 WMO/D2. Or crack it into diesel.
Now simone0414, it is pretty funny that you would recommend to people not to pay attention to what I have to say, because you surely learned few things from me, such as, if a blender is going to blend waste oils with diesel fuel, then it should be at no less than 50% diesel fuel, because I have been stating that for years.

Also, I am the first one who documented WVO blended with WMO makes glue. So, it is good to know that you have learned a dew things from me, even though you take every chance to assassinate my character.
Blending WMO with WVO Incompatibility
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbiodiesel View Post

Also, I am the first one who documented WVO blended with WMO makes glue.
What?!

Next you'll tell us you were also the first man on the moon.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: wmo SMOKE control??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
What?!

Next you'll tell us you were also the first man on the moon.
There has never been anyone on the moon. That was Hollywood staged.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.