Black diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black diesel

Hi guys and girls, new here. I was doing some research on black diesel and came across this website. I have been using black diesel for about six months now. I farm and have been using it in all my diesel engines. I started out by using a 80% waste oil to 20% diesel. I found that some diesel engines run differently on it. I have a 986 international tractor that I could probably run straight black diesel on. I have a 575d ford newholland backhoe that does not like it at all. I now run a 50-50 mix. I have processed almost 2500 gallons, and have run a lot of it through a 912 duetz diesel engine that I pump water for sprinklers. It is a 100 hp and has used most of the black diesel. I have a 2004 6.0 ford powerstroke which I ran 50% mix. I purchased this truck in Jan.2012. I did not know these trucks were so fickle. Since I have bought it, it has had to have at least five to ten minutes to warm up until it ran smooth. After that it was great. The first time I put black diesel in it, it runs so much more quite, and it does not need to warm up at all before I take off. I do use Seafoam in my mix to cut down on carbon buildup. I have also saved thousands of dollars. The only draw back is if I get to high of percent of oil, it tends to loose power, which could be do to other problems such as filters. Although I do not seem to change fuel filters any more frequent. I am still experimenting, and it is a very oily dirty job at times. But I am sold on this. It really helps making the engine run more quite. I can also tell a difference when I am filtering the oil in where it comes from. I have one supplier that is a auto repair shop. I get about 500 gallons a month and I have to change my filters less with his oil than some of the farms I get it from. Sometimes it has antifreeze in the oil, but I have welded nipples on 55 gallon barrels about two inches from the bottom. I then have welded a nipple with a valve on bottom of each barrel so that when I leave the oil set for 24 hrs, the water settles to the bottom with the sludge and I filter the rest. I am now working on a centrifuge that I got off an old eruopean tractor called a Zetor that use one for a filter instead of the spin on filters, to take out more of the contaminates before it goes through the filters. I right now I am using a three stage filtering system. I start at 10 microns, and then a 5 micron, and then go down to 1 microns. love the stuff so far.

Last edited by busincowboy; 08-06-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you are a brave man running that stuff in your 6.0 but I am interested in learning more about it cause to be honest, I've heard of guys doing it in older diesels like tractors (as you mentioned) but not something as precise as a modern 6.0.

Subbed cause I want to see what other guys have to say about it.

Welcome to the org by the way
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

My son has an older 7.3 IDI that will eat just about anything you can feed it. Have to admit that we haven't tried cat piss although there are some that claim they can burn that too!

Welcome to the org.!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thats pretty interesting. Welcome to the org! What are you mixing just old filtered waste oil and diesel fuel??
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM

I recomend that the OP puts all of the fuel savings in the bank. It will be be needed later.

Having performed CF testing on crankcase oils I can say with confidence that there is so much wrong in the OP, and that dooms day is rapidly approaching.

I will edit this post if I am able to find the old thread on the CF crankcase oil tests I did....

Here is the link
WMO Centrifuge Results

24 hours of ambient temperature gravity settle is not adequate for removing antifreeze or water. Not even close. Nor is simple filtering of contaminated WMO.

Last edited by vegginpsd; 08-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
I recomend that the OP puts all of the fuel savings in the bank. It will be be needed later.

Having performed CF testing on crankcase oils I can say with confidence that there is so much wrong in the OP, and that dooms day is rapidly approaching.

I will edit this post if I am able to find the old thread on the CF crankcase oil tests I did....

Here is the link
WMO Centrifuge Results

24 hours of ambient temperature gravity settle is not adequate for removing antifreeze or water. Not even close. Nor is simple filtering of contaminated WMO.
I have done enough research on this topic. Although I have read the negatives before I ever tried it and researched those as well. I use a lot of fuel in my operation. I am running probably about 50% black diesel that has been deluted by 50% when I am using it. I keep my filters cleaned, and I also use a water absorbant to also remove water and antifreeze. I have not had any problems with black diesel. As I said there are some injection systems that do not fair will. That is due to the pump. Many times the oil is sitting in 275 gallon totes for a few days before I can get to processing it. Time will tell if I made a mistake, and I will let you know the problems I do have. I have processed a neighbors oil which he had in 55 gallon drums sitting out side. There was probably a third in some barrels that was water from outside moisture seeping in. I do not pump that into the process. But some does get through. I usually let it sit for six hours, and drain off what water has been pumped in. Then I wait a couple of days and drain off what has settled. Not much does drain off after the initial drain. Plus I do not filter anything below two inches after that. You have to know that water gets into regular fuel through condesation, or contamination. This is why they have products to help mix with it to put it through the engine. I appriecate your concern and it is duely noted.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Cool
Glad you know the hazards.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Thats pretty interesting. Welcome to the org! What are you mixing just old filtered waste oil and diesel fuel??
Many countries do this around the world. It does give you better fuel milage, and more power. I have heard some use it staight, but I first used a 20% mix of regular diesel. I found that my 986 international tractor loves it. I have a 7040 Allis chalmers that said that was to thick. It smokes like a bugger anyway. Now it looks like an old steam engine. It does run great on it after I up the % of diesel in it. My combine loves the stuff. My 7120 caseinternational runs better on the 50%. My 575d ford newholland hates the smell of it. But I do not run black diesel 100% of the time. I use to much to keep up with what I can process. The engines run much more quite because the fuel is lubricating everything. Takes out the knocks. My son uses it in his 2001 ford powerstroke. He loves it as well.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 AM

Do you have any pics of your processing system? I have access to basically an unlimited supply of used motor oil. I am way out of my element here with the science aspect of it all but does it matter that used synthetic oil gets dumped in the same barrel as dinosaur oil so I suppose you could call the oil a synthetic blend lol. Is that blend a problem for burning?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 AM

Synthetic oils are designed to NOT burn. Thus, they will give you trouble when trying to use them as "Fuel".......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.