Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Burnin' Veg for a year today

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Rebelliousw0n 
#1 ·
Today is the 1 year mark of me and my truck seeing the light...the GREEN light that is...and smelling that sweet smell. So, I thought it would be fun and educating to post a few stats from my first year of burning Veg. I'm hoping a thread with some real world summarized data might help someone make the decision and go greasy.

The truck has 233k miles and loves to be put to work.

Mileage:
12,185 total miles traveled
10,460 miles were on Veg
86% of the time I burned Veg
747 gallons of Veg burned
1,850 gallons of Veg collected/processed
Avg 14 mpg on veg and d2 over the year

Costs:
$3,600 Total Conversion cost with truck system, oil processing equip, totes, tanks, etc.
($2,300) Paid back in fuel savings
$1,300 remaining to payback or
5,800 miles left to drive to payback (overall payback should be 16k miles)
$0.05/mile to drive on veg over the last year
$0.77/gallon avg Veg cost (I pay for my peanut oil)
$3.76/gallon avg D2 cost

Throughout the system build and oil processing, countless hours were spent reading and educating myself, but I've put 152 hrs into the actual building of the systems and processing of the oil. It does become somewhat of a hobby, but one I am proud and happy to do.

The longest run on the system so far was a 10hr run without shutting down or purging, 680 miles. I have driven 3,500 miles on one tank of d2 (currently at 2,800 miles on this tank of d2 and showing a half tank left). Driving in below zero conditions pulling my sleds on veg was a regular occurrence this last winter and driving in 100 deg + days with A/C full blast while on veg has been nice of late. Veg temps of 175 - 210deg F depending on conditions.

I have had no real (knock on wood) veggie related issues, aside from the small leaks from initial setup and having to go back and insulate for the cold winter. This cannot be said for the d2 side (d2 pump failed, CPS failed, glow plugs, alternator, batteries, front suspension,etc).

If I drove more this last year, it is very feasible to say my system would already be paid back. If you put 40k a year on your rig like a bunch of folks do, you are talking months for a payback. This adventure has definitely taken way more of a time investment than I originally thought, but I am thrilled with the way things have gone so far and will not be going back to old way.

Any other stats out there?

Veg-on,

See less See more
#2 ·
good post brotha. stuff like this keeps me chuggin on collecting parts supplies and building/plotting my set up, when i start to get discouraged or bored (due to how long its taking me with everything else going on in life).

ive got a app on my phone that is currently keeping up with how much money i spend on running my rig (everything from oil/tires/fuel etc) and ive got another one running on the other side for the veg. it brakes down your cost per mile. im looking forward to seeing my cost per mile fo way down after shes up and running

#3 ·
Rite on RIG. I too, been banging now for a good 6months. Racked up about 12k-ish in miles, an easy 10k on veggie. I figured, i've saved enough to have paid for my onboard system, just try'n to re-coup the house filtration system now. Other than a dead first pump, (knock on wood here), only issue was a broken worm clamp, causing a leak, o-ya, chasing that higher than normal fuel pressure on veggie side, while burning D2. But i installed the greasecar regulator and now, it chills at a cool 95psi on that side, so just "trickles" some D2 while get'n wvo up to temp....glad i flipt to the dark side...:thumb:

#6 ·
WVO .. is this nuts or what?

I've got an amazing Benz that runs on about anything except water. It is a 1985 300 SD and I started making biodiesel a year ago and thought I would see how well WVO worked. I can easily run a 50% mix of filtered WVO and this motor runs great on it without doing anything.

I hesitate to do this in my 2000 PSTD 7.3 but I have been told by two 7.3 owners "just pour it in brotha" she will run great. Is this nuts or what?

#8 ·
I've got an amazing Benz that runs on about anything except water. It is a 1985 300 SD and I started making biodiesel a year ago and thought I would see how well WVO worked. I can easily run a 50% mix of filtered WVO and this motor runs great on it without doing anything.

I hesitate to do this in my 2000 PSTD 7.3 but I have been told by two 7.3 owners "just pour it in brotha" she will run great. Is this nuts or what?
I'd be careful about "just pouring it in " i think that mentality is what gives wvo a bad rap

#9 ·
I would keep doing the same thing in the benz (i say this with no personal experience), mechanical injection is very forgiving and those old beasts run better when abused.

In the p-stroker, do some reading on "blending" and W85 to decide for yourself (failed UOA, injector replacement, etc) Our HEUI systems deserve much more attention and a few more parameters in place to run veg happily for the long haul.

two 7.3 owners "just pour it in brotha"
^^Do not listen to these guys. If you do take their advice then, :please:

IMO, a heated two tank system with its own separate pump/filter and TIH (tube in hose) or FPHE (flate plate heat exchanger) for heat. Check valves to separate the fuels, leave your existing d2 fuel system as is otherwise. Purge valve to purge and shutdown on d2. Aim for 140deg or greater veg temps and you are golden...

Also, oil processing is whole different beast. Good quality dewatered and clean veg fuel is very important to doing this for a long time. Do not cut corners here and think you can pour straight from the restaurant dump bin. :thumb:

Greasy side down,

#10 ·
I would keep doing the same thing in the benz (i say this with no personal experience), mechanical injection is very forgiving and those old beasts run better when abused.

In the p-stroker, do some reading on "blending" and W85 to decide for yourself (failed UOA, injector replacement, etc) Our HEUI systems deserve much more attention and a few more parameters in place to run veg happily for the long haul.

^^Do not listen to these guys. If you do take their advice then, :please:

IMO, a heated two tank system with its own separate pump/filter and TIH (tube in hose) or FPHE (flate plate heat exchanger) for heat. Check valves to separate the fuels, leave your existing d2 fuel system as is otherwise. Purge valve to purge and shutdown on d2. Aim for 140deg or greater veg temps and you are golden...

Also, oil processing is whole different beast. Good quality dewatered and clean veg fuel is very important to doing this for a long time. Do not cut corners here and think you can pour straight from the restaurant dump bin. :thumb:

Greasy side down,
That has been my understanding of WVO. When I finally make the plunge I think I'm gonna shell out the cash for the V3. get er done right the first time.

It's good to see that guys are still getting a return on these setups. It's hell finding sources out here, doubt I'll ever get around to making the swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.