mixing question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mixing question

I've read a lot about mixing wvo with d2 and running it the factory fuel system. I'm in the process of putting together a diy heated parallel fuel system but I've been mixing for the short term. I understand the coking problem with cold oil but thought that was from starting on svo. I have a spinner type cf mounted on the lid of a 55gal drum (don't want to get in to that discussion its serving its purpose well, for now) and putting 10gal of d2 in with wvo before processing it then running about 60-40 d2 to wvo in truck not allowing for what is already mixed in from processing. Asked a fellow I work with who has both an engineering and physics degree how it would act during combustion his answer was as I suspected if mixed well enough it would react as one fuel instead of two injected simultaneously. With that said in searching for more info (cause I don't know it all) came across reference to some pictures Clay Henry has of a friends crank case who was mixing, I can't find them. Would like to see it with a little history like mix ratios, process method and such. One line responses won't help I've seen to many of those while searching the site on this matter. I'd really like to hear from someone with hands on experience.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe the pictures you are refering to was a 6.0 that had an injector stuck open & filled the crankcase with VO. It was a nasty looking mess.

Unheated SVO will can cause coking period. Starting on unheated SVO is worse.

Most likely your head is going to spin with the info you will gather. You will find just as many who will tell you that blending will not cause problems & just as many will tell you it is engine death. I have been considering starting & stopping on a blend but decided against it cause it just wasn't worth the risk. The reasons people are against it makes sense to me.

I would suggest getting your 2 tank system running asap.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Ok, in the context of the thread it led one to believe the damage was done because of mixing fuels in the stock system and was a result of vo getting past the rings and into the oil. I know what you mean about my head spinning from information overload I've run into that from the beginning when I first started researching running wvo in my truck. Finding all the horror stories like it cost my buddy $12,000,000 when all 16 injectors exploded because the Halogen in his headlights over heated as a result of running wvo. But you run into guys who get their ovaries in a bunch no matter the subject. But I'm planning on doing a UOA next oil change just to see exactly what is getting past the rings and if coking is as big a problem with mixtures as it is with cold starting on svo.

I noticed you live in Nova Scotia, in winter I bet your oil has the consistency of cottage cheese I've ordered a AIC to increase idle speed at start up during winter (i use the word loosely considering where you live). Down here in the tropics of South Carolina I think this past winter we saw a week of 20* give or take a few degrees from day to day and that was from a cold front you guys sent our way, do us a favor and keep your weather to yourselves lol. So any cold weather does and dont's will also be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM

uOA's are a good idea. I have done 3 since I have been running VO & all have been good. I have been 2 tanking the whole time though. If you do one please post the results.

The winters here are not as cold as you might think. Not SC weather but much milder then in the past. That is another reason why I chose 2 tanking. I can run vegi all year.

16 injectors????? Headlights crapping them out??? Are you joking?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM

A little sarcasm concerning the injectors and headlights. I'll plan on posting the results of the UOA whether good or bad because I don't have a dog in this fight and maybe put the argument to rest. I was unable to find where anyone else has posted one done under these conditions on this forum or any other, not saying there isn't one just I haven't found it yet perhaps someone here has and could post a link. I've got about 2000 miles left before my next oil change, maybe my headlights won't over heat before then.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM

You will never put this debate to rest. There are too many diehards on each side of the fence.

There are guys posting UOA's on the TDS but most are running WMO. And most results are not good. You may find some guys on Infopop that have some UOA's.

It will boil down with what you believe to be true, your driving habits( short trips perhaps blending is right for you, long trips 2 tank) & how must risk you are willing to take.

If you do blend & do regular UOA's that should alert you if your fuel of choice is a good one or not. It would be nice to see a UOA with blending & then another on the same truck 2 tanking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.