pop'n breaker while try'n to c.f. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pop'n breaker while try'n to c.f.

Guys i need some help. I tweeked my filtration system to accommodate the PABiodiesel C.F....
WVO centrifuges are used for filtering waste vegetable oil | WVO Centrifuge | PA Biodiesel Supply

Drive'n it, is a dayton gear pump...Dayton 6NY70 Pump Head, Pedestal

Motor of choice was this...1/2 HP General Purpose Electric Motor

Using a shaft coupler to connect the system, there is a horrible vibration along withthe motor getting warm, plus any resistance to it, by turning the ball valve, trips the breaker.

I went this route, from the usual H/B clear water pump, since it has a thermal protector built-in, because of that, i couldn't power the c.f. with 80psi of pressure(backpressure), also try'n to shower the oil at a higher heat then the 140* max the h/b clear pump can handle.

Should i just take back the pump, if its not the right one, cut my losses on the gear pump, and order up a carbonator gear pump assy that CAN handle the system....(first pic)..Centrifuge Waste Vegetable Oil Gear Pumps | PA Biodiesel Supply

I'm not having any luck in regards to the h/f purpose motor i have, to it being useful for this application???

Anyway, i know it was a winded thread, but any help would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is your motor/pump scenario providing more flow at 80psi than the CF is calling for?

I have a bigger OC-50 and use a 1hp industrial dayton motor with a oberdorfer 4000 series (way too big) gear pump so not exactly the same, but its coupled in the same fashion as yours. They have to be lined up dead-nuts or it will vibrate a little, also take some high strength plastic material and make a cushion between the two metal pieces of coupler, makes a huge difference with the sound, huge. I used a piece of flooring I had left over from a job and wrapped the coupling with silicone tape.

How long is the elec run to your panel where you are plugging the motor in, your circuit could be underwired and causing the breaker to trip? This is probably not it, but worth asking.

Gear pumps like to flow freely, if you have too much backpressure, the motor CANNOT spin and will trip the breaker everytime.

I can run my system up to 210 deg and run it for 4 hours at 70psi and not trip a 15 amp breaker.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 AM

What up Rig! I really dont know the flowrate of either motor or pump.. This is the best i get with the pump..

Pump Head, Pedestal - Rotary Gear Pump Heads - Rotary Pumps - 6NY70 : Grainger Industrial Supply

My wiring is about 5ft from panel. I've used levels, lazor levels..etc, you name, i thru at it, to align. Gonna try the cushioning of it, to help it out. I did notice though, when motor spooled up, the pump gears inside its housing would float enough to rub/drag against the back housing. SO, i made a gasket, thicker then what came with pump, and seemed to help tremendously. I couldnt even turn motor on, without the grinding sound.

I'd hate to throw in the towel, but 2 full days, of plumbing and try'n to get-ur right, is get'n old....BTW, you think just maybe, that i have too much plumbed off the gear pump. Has the in, then outlet it goes up and splits in middle, using ball valves. To the right, is my 2-ball valves to feed the house filters, to the left feeds my inline element heater, and same piping, with using ball valves, either my sprinkler to shower or c.f.?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Flow-fornia

No to the gear pump being overplumbed, it looks like your pump head is giving you 9.5gpm at 80psi when your CF is calling for .93gpm at 80psi. 10x too much flow at the given pressure, it would seem.

You could try bleeding some of the flow off through your other plumbing and into your barrel to see if you can get the CF to work right (you would then have 2 bypasses working for you), but you need a smaller gear pump is the short answer. Its not very effective to have a larger gear pump with a spinner CF, unless you run 2 or 3 CFs off the same pump/motor, which some folks have done.

1/2hp motor is not the issue.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

more ponies

the pump is definitely too big for the CF based on flow.

it took me a sec to realize that the motor is def too small for the pump, as well...

go to the Dayton pump link you gave us earlier and click on the required accessories tab, it says you need a 1.5hp motor for that pump.

grainger should take it back, right?

sorry to be the bearer, its all in learning though. And learning is fun where I come from.

Veg-on,
Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the help/info Rig...

I was able to get the system to work, with closing the ball valve off the feed line to the pump. It seems that, with the b.v. open fully, thats when the pump would more or less "choke". Did notice that, with 180* oil, my c.f., would not get up to 80psi, but more like 65psi.

Unfortunetly Rig, i purchasedt he pump, thinking i knew what i was doing, from ebay, new item it was, but stuck with it now. Gonna throw it on c-list, see if anyone will bite.

Concenses is, i'm up sh!t creek, without a paddle. Since it seems that these types of pumps but out some volume, i'm gonna re-install the clear water pump, using valves from both tanks, to feed the filters prior to showering/c.f, and remove oil from good tank and fill the truck. Gonna pull the trigger on one of those carbonator style motor/pump assy, and be done with it....side note, what DID pass thru the c.f,..for the short amount of time, i cannot believe what mess it left inside the spinner. Man, i hope i've cleaned my oil good enough so far, for what the truck has burned...
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 AM

This is an example of why i bought a turn key Simple Centrifuge.
I didnt have the time to spend weeks setting up.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 AM

Ya, it was a $125 lesson. Was able to return the motor to H.F., so now, puting the add out on craigslist for the pump.

Could not be more stoked though, with the spinner/pressure type centrifuge, and the carbonator style motor/pump. Man, its polishing the oil, and with the remnants of whats left inside the rotor assy when run'n a batch, i dont see how "time" settling, can remove whats left in the oil. I been pre-filterinf to 20mic, then fuge it, and the debri left looks like a melted black crayon smashed inside the rotor. Hope, the 100+ gals i've ran up to this point, haven't caused any internal problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.