WVO now rollin' coal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WVO now rollin' coal?

Just got my V3 up and running! I had never seen any smoke from my tailpipe in the past. Now, when I'm running Veggie, I get black smoke after I sit at a stop light or something then take off. I'm assuming this means the veggie isn't burning completely? Maybe not hot enough going in? It definitely does it more when before the engine is fully up to temp. I've zip-tied the coolant and fuel lines together and will wrap them in insulation tape soon, just wanted to make sure everything was working first.

Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have a Fuel temp gauge or a scan gauge that will tell you the trucks running temp? Did you do a 203deg thermostat when you went ELC?

If you don't have a 203 therm, you are prob running at 195ish at full running temp on the highway, so at a stop light after some in town driving (no a/c on, park city is beautiful) the truck might be at 170-175 even though the Ford gauge doesn't move, the truck will continue to run cool the longer it idles. I've seen 130 truck coolant temp (via scanguage) after a 30 min idle sesh in the mtns. no bueno on veg.

The v3 can get veg to within 20-30 deg of coolant temp (someone correct me) right at switch over and gets better the longer you run, 10 deg diff on the highway.

To answer your question, I get smoke on the highway gettin after it pulling up a mtn pass and around town if I stand on it. Nothing at idle or start up/switchover. This is the same whether I burn diesel or veg, makes no difference what the fuel is for my old girl.

As long as it smells like greasy grease, a little smoke won't hurt anyone.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IMO that does not sound normal. How much smoke? I little bit or are you choking out the guy behind you??

Mine is a DIY but I never get smoke. None that I have seen anyway. I switchover at about 130 & see no smoke.

Did you start seeing smoke from the first time you ran veg? What temp switch do you have? 130?? Do you have a temp gauge??

Somethings not right IMHO.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 PM

smoke at idle on veg is pretty unheard of
Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Maybe Pez will chime in here shortly. He just installed a v3 in his truck here in Denver and he has a tad bit of smoke at idle that he did not have before his install as well. He does NOT have a 203 thermstat or temp gauge to tell us what fuel temp he is running at so we're not 100% sure why he's smokin either, my guess for his fresh v3 install is low veg temps (140deg switch) just the same as Park City. We're thinking the 160deg switch might be better for our climates, especially in the winters?

I am a believer in the 203 thermostat and FPHE under the passenger seat (DIY). These make sure no cool veg gets burned.

If I remember right, Pez's smoked more at idle up in the mountains at 10000ft-ish, I'm wondering if your situation has something to do with elevation, Park City is 9k ish right? We also thought maybe his 6637 filter mod was messing with his air/fuel somehow and making an overfueling scenario. 6637 on your truck? I'll holler at him on the phone and see if he can chime in with his exact smoking scenarios to see if they are the same.

Maybe try and leave the v3 manually off until the truck has been up to running temp for 10-15mins and switch the v3 back on and look for smoke at idle. This will give you the best chance to rule out cool veg as your truck will be more than warm enough to compensate for any early switchover low heat conditions.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

thanks for all the replies guys! I'll see if I can answer everything...

I should clarify a bit...When I'm sitting idling, I don't get any smoke, it's just when I first accelerate after sitting at a stop light or even just stop at a stop sign. It's just a puff of smoke then it goes away. However, this can be even after I've been driving for a while and ECT/EOT are up to mid 190s. I'm not sure what temp switch I have in the V3 because I bought it used but it switches over at about 140 engine temp. I do NOT have a 203 thermostat. I've been considering it and maybe should now that I'm on veg.

Park City is right about 7k elevation and my house is right at 8k. What is the FPHE? I've seen it around here but don't know what that means... and also, what is the 6637 filter mod? I just have a stock intake.

I'll try running a little longer in D2 until the truck gets a little warmer and switch it to veg and see if that makes a difference. Maybe a different thermostat and temp switch are worth a shot. I'm pretty stoked to be running on veg, just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything!

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Ok on takeoff i have seen it on my truck. I wouldnt worry about it
Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

FPHE - Flat Plate Heat Exchanger <--- The v3 is this by design (maybe not flat plat but heat exchanger for sure). I have a 20 plate larger one from a solar hot water home system mounted under my pass seat on the frame rail. Adds 20-30deg to final veg temp for my system.

6637 - A HUGE air filter with triple the life and better air delivery. Looks like a pretty simple DIY mod, but it seems to make the 7.3l turbo surge a bit under load at elevation (Pez's '02 does this), I don't know enough to say anything more though as I don't have it.

I don't know that the 203 deg therm will work on a 6.0, I was being a dummy and didn't look at your sig to see that you had a much newer ride.

x2 on don't worry about the puff of shmoke
Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 AM

would running a bit of RUG like the guys using motor oil do, help?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Como es RUG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.