Originally Posted by Poweystroke96
Well my brother and I have recently started making biodiesel in our DIY setup and also recently finished our first batch. With some caution in mind we decided to run it in our IDI john deere tractor before trying it out in our own vehicles. After success with that and a nice clean burn going on we moved on to put it in my brothers 95 powerstroke. So far we haven't had any problems but I am a little scared about jumping to putting it in my truck.
So my question thus far is, is there any major modifications that need to made to OBS 7.3's, superduty 7.3's or even 6.0's while im on the topic? My brother told me that they made aftermarket injector o-rings that should be installed to prevent the bio from eating them up but I he couldn't recall where he got that information. So any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
First off, what QA tests were performed on the B100? I.E 27/3, soap titration, water content, etc.
With under reacted fuel, (fuel not passing the 27/3) nothing major is likely to happen in a IDI or OBS/PSD 7.3's short term. Remember, passing the 27/3 consistantly is the single most important test, however a Sandy Brae water test (or even a hot pan test) could be argued to be considered as important depending on your wash/dry methods.
NOTE: I made no mention of B100 for use in a 6.0, nor will I. Its a crap shoot. User results may vary.
Injector Orings are not a concern in the above mentioned powerstroke engines. The old JD tractor, well, that may well be another matter all together.
Good quality B100 begins gelling issues around 32*F. With that said, your gepgraphic location may warrant some modifications for use in the winter, or perhaps blending with D2 would suffice. I successfully run B100 year around, with low temps of -25*F not uncommon. It can be done, and if necessary I can direct you toward some resources to help accomplish this.