Immersion heater suggestions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Immersion heater suggestions?

Hey all

Gathering pieces and parts for my 'fuge setup. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an inline immersion heater. I see some on WVOdesigns. Pros/cons? Do I need a thermostat on it? Anyone found one somewhere else that works for a good price?

I searched around and looked at Clay's build and FastCote's build. The one Fastcote used looks good but I couldn't find it on McMaster Carr.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I use the LOWEST wattage 110v water heater element I can find, and have it in a black iron pipe with a thermostat on the pipe set for 160.

Biggest issue for me..... running dry and blowing the element.
otherwise it works just dandy.

If/when I redo my set up I'll be converting over to a water heater type system as I find it to look more reliable.

there are pics of my whole mess in the link on my sig.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM

I have a WVO designs inline heater. It works good & my oil always passes the hpt. A small water heater is a good idea & may even be better then the inline heater.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Diy inline with a water heater element is the cheapest route, and really the same thing as the WVO designs unit. WVO unit just looks fancy.

I will be using a 40gal waterheater (free) when I get my setup going. Heat and settle in the hwh, transfer to a clean barrel, then fuge.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guys...I'm looking forward to getting started and I'm sure I'll have more questions!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
I have a WVO designs inline heater. It works good & my oil always passes the hpt. A small water heater is a good idea & may even be better then the inline heater.
I concur with simone. 100%

The fault in an inline heater is that water settled out during the heating process has little space to occupy. When using a small WH, say 5-10 gallons, periodic draining of a gallon off of the bottom. The theory behind this is why Simple Centrifuge does not make an inline heater.

Many have reported "steam" or "vapor" escaping or trapped in the CF. I have never witnessed this with a small WH. The biggest mistake in CF'ing oil, in my opinion, is relying on it. Get the feedstock as clean and dry BEFORE the CF, and you results will improve dramatically. Remember, the CF is not a garbage disposal. Garbage in, Garbage out.

Having processed tens of thousands of gallons of less than perfect feedstocks, I can confidently share this with you all. High heat (over 200*F) and a 24 hour settle is best in my opinion. Then let it rip thru the small WH at 8 GPH or less at 150*F +/-....Every 300 gallon run on this system yields water in the WH, EVERY time without exception.

With that said I ask this of those with inlines......where does the water go? In the CF? Into the atmosphere as steam? If released to the ambiant air, why not reclaim it as a liquid, and not rely on the gasification of the water?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Very interesting...I wondered about the water heating up in an inline heat system and where that steam would go. When using a small water heater, are you just gravity feeding through the water heater and taking off the top to feed the centrifuge?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

I just looked in the local classifieds and found two 2.5gal elec water heaters for $75 each...would something like that work? or should I look for something bigger? I don't have a ton of room.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
I concur with simone. 100%

The fault in an inline heater is that water settled out during the heating process has little space to occupy. When using a small WH, say 5-10 gallons, periodic draining of a gallon off of the bottom. The theory behind this is why Simple Centrifuge does not make an inline heater.

Many have reported "steam" or "vapor" escaping or trapped in the CF. I have never witnessed this with a small WH. The biggest mistake in CF'ing oil, in my opinion, is relying on it. Get the feedstock as clean and dry BEFORE the CF, and you results will improve dramatically. Remember, the CF is not a garbage disposal. Garbage in, Garbage out.

Having processed tens of thousands of gallons of less than perfect feedstocks, I can confidently share this with you all. High heat (over 200*F) and a 24 hour settle is best in my opinion. Then let it rip thru the small WH at 8 GPH or less at 150*F +/-....Every 300 gallon run on this system yields water in the WH, EVERY time without exception.

With that said I ask this of those with inlines......where does the water go? In the CF? Into the atmosphere as steam? If released to the ambiant air, why not reclaim it as a liquid, and not rely on the gasification of the water?
How is the water or steam released from the hwh? Through the relief valve? How long do you hold the 200 temp?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=STROKED_NY_023;3031353]How is the water or steam released from the hwh? THat is the beauty of the WH. The water will settle to the bottom, and drained out through the valve that is already there. Thus why I said too "little space to occupy".the relief valve? Keep in mind the high heat/settle is NOT occuring in the water heater. It is in the overhead supply tank. Heat provided by LP gas and a heat exchanger. How long do you hold the 200 temp? Just long enough to get it up to temp. Keep in mind, I am running 300 gallon batches. That volume is brought up to 200*F, which takes just over an hour from below freezing.[QUOTE]

The trick to the WH is to vent it up higher than the supply vessel. Feed into the top of the WH, thru the provided stand pipe (or fab up your own), delivering cold and potentially wet oil to the bottom. The supply oil to the CF travel out the top of the WH forced by gravity. A small ball valve and a pressure regulator will assist in providing a constant flow rate.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Look here:
CF Pictures - BioFuels Technologies Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.