dewatering WVO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dewatering WVO

Got my first patch cook'n, well lets say, hot as he$#. STupid me, fell alsleep while element was on, i know not good..

Now, let'n it "settle", i've looke up tons of "crackle testing"..etc, but wondering, how long to let settle, or the crackle testr will tell me. Say, i gave it a good time, 24hrs..etc, do crackle test, and still shows water in batch. Should i re-heat, and settle again ,or is oil just too contaminated to dewater it?

Ya, lessoned learned hear with "heating" at night...not gonna happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 AM

Here's the system. Seems to work great, using 2-240v heater elements, wires up using 110v only. Sh%$ gets hot quick....ya i know, with wallpaper in background. P.O. made 3rd car garage into room or something. I tell ya, that sh%$ is stuck on their. Tried removing it, and was breakingthe drywall....hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
dewatering WVO-wvo-pic-5.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Guys, how you dewatering ur system? I heated up oil (from post above), let settle for 12+hrs, did HPT and seems the "crackle" part is gone, but thee entire oil surface in pan had bubles locked under it. I then hoped, passing the oil thru a set of 50/20/5 micron filters would catch it. Nope, still had bubbles in the pan. Anyone wanna throw a bone to this problem....thanks.

I'm think'n of the "spray fanning" of oil trick. Saw where their using a fire sprinkler head, well my bro-in-law has his own company, so thought i'd get a few and try it out...

Last edited by timmyboy76; 04-13-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Centrifuge it...

Simple Centrifuge ...putting a centrifuge in every garage!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
If i would've known how much i'd have into the system in the garage, i would've went that route. I'm try'n to understand how others do not have the problem i'm having or if theirs a problem at all. You know if the 'bubbles" under the oil, are acceptable or acceptableto a degree, and if so, how many per "area"..thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Time to settle

Nice lookin setup

And for the first batch!

I am a believer in heat and settle and the issue is likely in where your oil pump pickup is at and are you re-distributing the settled out water (from after the heat and settle cycle) when you go to run it through the filters and on to the refueler.

Just by practice and there is no science behind why, I leave the bottom 12" alone in my heat and settle barrel and pull from the top. The crud stays down low and every 5 batches or so I pull all the crud from the bottom and put it in a dregs barrel for infinite settling and back through.

Depending on when you snagged the oil, it may need to sit in the cubie longer? I try for two weeks or so, transfer/filter it to 5 mics and let it sit in a barrel for a month. Time is your friend, and the sun. And pull only from the top 3/4 of the cube, leave a gallon to mix as your dregs (dregs take longer to settle). I try to keep clean oil sep from dreggy oil to avoid putting uneeded energy into cleaning already clean oil.

I filter as it goes into the heat/settle to keep crap out of the h/s system and polish (1mic) it afterward. I have my heater on a timer (on-off-on-off, etc) and it keeps the barrel warmed to 160 for a day or so, let it cool for a day down to 100deg. Hot pan test and into the tote for a refuel later.

Thats been my method for 1500 gals and I am happy and truck seems to be happy, HPT test always pass and I have 8k on my first veg filter on the truck and still counting. Veg-on,
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnOilRIG View Post
Nice lookin setup

And for the first batch!

I am a believer in heat and settle and the issue is likely in where your oil pump pickup is at and are you re-distributing the settled out water (from after the heat and settle cycle) when you go to run it through the filters and on to the refueler.

Veg-on,
Thanks for the props, Mtn... I got the "settling" take-an-care of...(pic). I "BBQ" the oil that was in the tank today.. on top of adding 15gal of oil i scored on last night. Filtered thru 200/100 nesh screns and then the 20gal of BBQ oil, i ran it then thru the 3-stage filters..50/20/5 and then did the "spray/fanning" of it, with a firesprinkler... no water on HPT... I'm taken ur up to 200-ish, then let settle, before tranferring it thruthe next stage of filters..5/1. Think i'll be ready to veg tomorrow..
Attached Thumbnails
dewatering WVO-wvo-pic-8.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if no crackle and no bubbles and its down to 1mic

burn it

but don't forget, TIME is your friend. Let that sh!t sit, IMO.

Last edited by MtnOilRIG; 04-15-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM

i gotthe time, and got the filtration..Hope the truck lives up to ur "sig"..No bubbles, No troubles.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 PM

I found a big difference between heating to 150 an a 24 hr settle and 200 deg and 7-14 day settle. I can get more than double the amount of oil through my fuge before i have to remove and clean the bowl.

also if your oil is failing the HPT, and still cloudy while warm after filtering then good chances are you have Boilout in your oil. Sell it to someone making Bio because Boilout will eat soft metals like your injectors.

Last edited by Cashflo; 04-26-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.