OBS e-fuel conversion WVO setup-sub zero - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS e-fuel conversion WVO setup-sub zero

Have been reading through many posts and it seems that the folks with an OBS and do a conversion to electronic fuel wvo-conversion live in warm climates. I have 95 OBS and I am starting to leak D2 in the valley. I would like to go e-fuel and use a 2 pump setup similar to Aaron B, yet I live in Wisonsin. I am weary of mounting the pumps under the rail for fear that the sub-zero slush and snow will cause issues. Any one convert their OBS to an e-fuel wvo conversion who live in a cold weather state. If so please share your set-up and enlighten me; also I would like run one of my tanks under the bed and not take any space up from the bed area.

*as a side note I have researched this topic for years and purchased a full set up from Golden fuel that has collected dust for the past 2 years on the shelf (heard to many bad stories). Thank you for any replies in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off Hank, welcome to the .Org.

You are correct, it is widely accepted that the e-fuel is the prefered method of converting the OBS. In addition, your concerns are legitimate about the placement of the VO pump, and operation in severe cold. It can be done succesfully, as a number of us have demonstrated.

I have not personally converted an OBS, however I do have experience on the Super Duty trucks. Once the e-fuel is done on your truck, the rest is elementary.

PM me if you need assistance, and please share your location....
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 AM

Muns did a cold weather conversion on his excursion, some where in the progress he went through and insulated all his V3 stuff and heat exchangers.

I think he reported positive results and lots of high vo miles.

If I were to do my conversion in cold weather I think I would get some plastic battery boxes (like the marine guys use) install them upside down under the bed and put the fuel pumps in them. That way I could drop the battery lid and have access to the filters. I'm willing to bet it would get pretty toasty in one of those after running for a few miles.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM

After competing my sixth winter season of COLD weather operation, the recipe really is quite simple.

TIH
Insulate lines
30 FPHE minumumPump/FPHE under hood
Insulated tank- Optional/debateable
Grille cover on front
Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Where do you place your fuel pump at?

Running big ones like mine makes placement a bit more critical.

TIH and insulated lines is a must, I agree.
I've got a 16 plate HE pre pump that is insulated from the factory, it's a cool setup.

And my 30 FPHE in the engine valley is an awesomely efficient HE.

Running the dual FPHE's is a nice no nonsense way to go about heating things up. I went with the 16 pre filter because I didn't want to restrict the flow to my fuel pump to much. And to be honest I'm looking for a reasonably priced high flow HE to replace it with.

I'm also considering dead heading both of my fuel systems and making the return an "option only" part of the fuel diagram.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 AM

[QUOTE=Aaron Berk;3022325]Where do you place your fuel pump at?

Running big ones like mine makes placement a bit more critical.QUOTE]

For real Aaron?
There is so much room in an OBS under the hood, try jamming a heater filter, 40 FPHE and a Fass under the hood of a superduty, and keep it looking neat. There is a trick.

I have the heated filter mounted to the alternator bracket. The Fass and 40 FPHE are stacked on a bracket mounted to the drivers side battery tray. The three way valve mounted using the bolt that held the stock fuel bowl. Fuel lab regulator mounted on the spder with the gauge.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Aaron & Vegginpsd for the replies it is much appreciated. Ideas on fule tank to use in one of the factory locations. (I currently have after market tanks 45g back & 40g front). Thaughts on heated pick-up lines like "Hot Fox". I currently have 2 new Hot Fox pick up I purchased with my "Golden fuel" purchase, as well as a Racor heated filter.
*Any thoughts on mounting the pumps in the bed near the cab?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Veggin have you seen my filter and pumps?

The FASS is a monster, and I need to get under it to pull filters.
I wasn't saying there is no place for them, just that it get a bit more tricky.

If I have a separate filter, and pump assembly then I can mount those 2 components all over the place.

But having my monster filters attached to the bottom of the pump manifold changes the situation.

Hank, are either of your tanks plastic? IF so then I would use either of them, it's your call.
And all things considered....... I'm really loven the heated sump idea.
I currently use a hotfox and it's fine, but a heated sump would be so much better in my opinion.

And yes I agree, the obs has allot of room.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Every thread deserves a pic

So here is a shot of my 2 pumps, the big FASS is my lifetime warranted WVO and the AirDog is D2 pumper.
Attached Thumbnails
OBS e-fuel conversion WVO setup-sub zero-fass-ad.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to LisaDupray Send a message via Skype™ to LisaDupray
Having a heating wand on hand is an excellent idea for pumping solid oil. Whatever you do, get a good pump with fat hoses. Many of us have spent 100s on little 12v pumps(and 120v) only to have them clog up, blow fuses etc

You can find a scissor lift table online with a good quality at : handlingequipmentonline.com/Lift-Tables/

Last edited by LisaDupray; 04-28-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.