wvo flush question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wvo flush question

I am about to start my 2002 conversion. From everything I have read the wvo side gets flushed through the wvo connections in the heads when diesel is selected correct? I would like to flush the fph during the flush cycle. Does anyone see a problem with putting the purge soleniod before the fph so it gets back flushed? My other option is to put a 3-way soleniod before the wvo pump that I could choose either wvo or diesel and flush the pump, filter and fph. I would then change to the stock diesel pump to finish the injector flush and run a line back to the wvo tank. I still have not decided on a wvo pump yet. I am thinking if I purge the wvo side completely with diesel I may be able to use a stock pump and not have to spend the money on a fass. I live in northen montana and do not like the idea of the pump starting full of cold wvo. I just finished my second 12v conversion and am looking forward to not having to cut any of the stock fuel lines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes when you switch from WVO back to D2 diesel will flush out everything you have plumbed after your VO checkvalve. If you purge long enough. Should be no problem flushing the FPHE & it is a good idea to do this. You don't need to flush the VO filter but depending on how your system is plumbed & how much of it you wanna flush you may have to.

As far as a pump goes if you go with a Fass you might want to check & see if they warranty them for WVO. Thought I read somewhere they don't any more. If you decide to go with a stock pump I have no idea if they will last or not. One guy has run one for 70k miles with success but alot of other stock pumps have failed. Don't forget you are going to have get a FPR if you go with the stock pump. In order for the stock pump to have any chance of success you cannot be running cold VO through it. If you are going to flush it with D2 then that should help. My advice would be to locate it in the engine bay & flush it with D2. Don't forget that the more you flush the longer you have to purge & the more D2 you will use.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrease View Post
I am about to start my 2002 conversion. From everything I have read the wvo side gets flushed through the wvo connections in the heads when diesel is selected correct?
More or less. The diesel fills the rail in the head, forcing the VO back out the VO supply line.
I would like to flush the fph during the flush cycle. Does anyone see a problem with putting the purge soleniod before the fph so it gets back flushed? That certainly could be done. My theory is to NOT purge the FPHE. I like it FULL of nice hot fuel when I pull the trigger on the pump. Thats just one side of the debate. THe other is that the FPHE will not sit full of VO, potentially and arguably causing poly.
My other option is to put a 3-way soleniod before the wvo pump that I could choose either wvo or diesel and flush the pump, filter and fph. I recomend NOT purging anything backwards thru the filter. Once a particle comes to rest in the perforations of the filter, I prefer it to stay right there comfortably until the filter is exhausted and discarded. I would then change to the stock diesel pump to finish the injector flush and run a line back to the wvo tank. I still have not decided on a wvo pump yet. I am thinking if I purge the wvo side completely with diesel I may be able to use a stock pump and not have to spend the money on a fass.
This is an option. However, the stock SD pump has proven to not survive long.
I live in northen montana and do not like the idea of the pump starting full of cold wvo. I too live in a cold climate. Frozen tundra to be precise. If you put the pump in the engine bay, my experience has shown that it doenst necessarily have the ill effect one would think. I ran my first FASS HPFP past 100K without any issue.I just finished my second 12v conversion and am looking forward to not having to cut any of the stock fuel lines! If done correctly, NO fuel lines what so ever should be cut on the stock D2 side.
See above notations in blue
Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Here is another HUGE pointre when converting a PSD, 7.3 specifically.....

Before tackling the conversion, make a trip to an IH dealer, or a Ford dealer. Get 4 new seals for the fuel lines. Also, grab a set of the brass male adapters, the one that is in the fuel bowl that the factory hard line attaches to. Insert these fittings into the check valves and install the assembly with the seals into the head. Removing the stock "check valve" does a couple neat and benificial things. 1) Removing the stock check greatly improves flow, as it is no longer needed anyway. 2) It will assist installation of the check valve, as it is much shorter than the stock check valve. The other option for the further mechanically enclined is to simply drill the guts out of the stock check valve. I found that the replacement route is much easier and aids in a cleaner installation.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input. When I did the cummins 12 valve I used hydraforce valves and the same lift pump since it is mechanical. I do not know anyway to do that conversion without cutting lines unless you get 2 electric pumps. I am excited to do my powerstroke. The diy conversions I have seen look very clean. I will contact fass and find out about the warranty. I am going to start ordering the parts needed shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.