WVO/Biodiesel Custom Tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WVO/Biodiesel Custom Tune

Is anyone else interested in a WVO/Biodiesel tune? I am only in the interest gathering phase, but I will present the number of interested parties to custom tuners to see if any of them will create a tune for us. I am also interested in one for winter diesel as I spend over half the year running it in Fairbanks. Just reply to the thread if you are interested in either.
Thanks,
Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What is a wvo / winter tune?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think this is going to require live tuning. and likely having to get a truck on the rollers. In addition, specifically refering to B100, there are many variables.

For what it is worth, I have run many thousands of gallons of WVO on stock injectors, as well as stage 2's. Also thousands of gallons of B100 on stage 2's. I can tell you that in my experience B100 produces noticably better performance than WVO on the same tune. I would say that B100 is much, much closer to D2 in respect to performance. I once believed that WVO was about the same as D2, however, it is now obvious to me that B100 is significantly better than WVO at 180*F.

I have said this before, however never in print: In my experience WVO doesnt compare to quality B100 in driveability in my DP tuned 7.3's. For that matter, the VW's also perform noticeably better on B100 than WVO ever could. On my ALH and PD VW's, B100 is about the same as D2.

Dont get me wrong, WVO has served me well. However, now producing some really nice B100, I will refrain from ever running WVO again. It is obvious to me that B100 performs better and safer than WVO ever could.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 AM

For a couple years, Beans has offered an altenative fuel tune. I have not drove a truck on alternative fuel with this tune, but it is offered by them:

7.3L Power Stroke Bean's Diesel Performance Chip - Custom Tunes - Electronic Performance - (1999-2003) 7.3L - Power Stroke
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM

An Answer and Another Question

Stroked,
WVO = waste vegetable oil, which, if you are interested, you can read more about in the alternative fuel forum. Winter diesel = diesel # 1, which is basically kerosene, and has a much lower cloud point than diesel # 2 making it ideal for use in places where there are very cold temperatures. A tune is a program that is loaded into your PCM that should enhance your trucks performance based on various characteristics one of which is fuel. So a WVO tune would make your truck run most efficiently on WVO; similarly, a winter diesel tune will make you truck run most efficiently on winter diesel.

*BREAK*

Anyone out there using Bean's alternative fuel tune? What do you think of it?

Last edited by woerthinny; 04-03-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woerthinny View Post
Stroked,
WVO = waste vegetable oil, which, if you are interested, you can read more about in the alternative fuel forum. Winter diesel = diesel # 1, which is basically kerosene, and has a much lower cloud point than diesel # 2 making it ideal for use in places where there are very cold temperatures. A tune is a program that is loaded into your PCM that should enhance your trucks performance based on various characteristics one of which is fuel. So a WVO tune would make your truck run most efficiently on WVO; similarly, a winter diesel tune will make you truck run most efficiently on winter diesel.

*BREAK*

Anyone out there using Bean's alternative fuel tune? What do you think of it?
Dude read my sig, I dont need an education buddy,im not an idiot. My question was what is that tune, or better yet what is the benefit?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
What is a wvo / winter tune?
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerthinny View Post
A tune is a program that is loaded into your PCM that should enhance your trucks performance based on various characteristics one of which is fuel. So a WVO tune would make your truck run most efficiently on WVO; similarly, a winter diesel tune will make you truck run most efficiently on winter diesel.
Quote:
Dude read my sig, I dont need an education buddy,im not an idiot. My question was what is that tune, or better yet what is the benefit?
I have read your signature. And, I share woerthinny's frustration.
Like my friend in Texas says, "All hat and no herd"

If we knew the specific fuel mapping and perfect timing for a WVO/B100/D1 fueled 7.3, those of us who actually are powered by an alternative fuel would be running said tuning and the benefits for WVO specifically would likely be teriffic.

For myself having ran multiple alternative fuels, injector, and turbo combinations successfully for hundreds of thousands of miles, the OP is correct and dead accurate. Different fuels do burn differently. Tuning is the solution. Sadly, there are not enough of us for the tuners to spend enough time to arrive at a "canned" or "one size fits all" solution. Like I posted before, there are many variables.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
I have read your signature. And, I share woerthinny's frustration.
Like my friend in Texas says, "All hat and no herd"

If we knew the specific fuel mapping and perfect timing for a WVO/B100/D1 fueled 7.3, those of us who actually are powered by an alternative fuel would be running said tuning and the benefits for WVO specifically would likely be teriffic.

For myself having ran multiple alternative fuels, injector, and turbo combinations successfully for hundreds of thousands of miles, the OP is correct and dead accurate. Different fuels do burn differently. Tuning is the solution. Sadly, there are not enough of us for the tuners to spend enough time to arrive at a "canned" or "one size fits all" solution. Like I posted before, there are many variables.
First of all I asked a simple.queztion as to the benefit of such a tune so you can take your hat and your herd, and stick it where the sun dont shine.

Oh and by the way you made my point... Without knowing the specific fuel mapping you are unable to adjust timing for correct atomization of said "fuels". More to my point your source wvo is never the same which means your bio batch is never the same, thus making it impossible to create a fuel specific tune for a fuel that varies in characteristics every batch. Now lets say you are running straight wvo, are you telling me that everytime you switch from d2 to wvo and back again you are going to change tunes??

I have alot of respect for your knowledge and wisdom when it comes to wvo or alternative fuels. However I could give 2 chits about what you have to say if your a d ic k.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Dude read my sig, I dont need an education buddy,im not an idiot.
You post this, and call me a d ick?

Here is how I see this thread having coming down....

1)The OP posts a question.
2)You reply.
3)I offer some first hand experience, relavant to the OP's question
4)The OP answers your question.
5)Then I become a dick?

In addition, please dont polute this forum with a bunch of attitude. There are plenty ofpeople who dont have the whole thing figured out, and many of us who choose to take advantage of future opportunities to learn. Apparently that doesn't include you, you seem to already have a clear and complete understanding of what all of our goals include here in respect to WVO, B100, etc, and yet mysteriously having not burned a drop.....

Im leaving now, with my HAT and HERD......
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
I can tell you that in my experience B100 produces noticably better performance than WVO on the same tune. I would say that B100 is much, much closer to D2 in respect to performance. I once believed that WVO was about the same as D2, however, it is now obvious to me that B100 is significantly better than WVO at 180*F.
Very interesting.... My results are the exact opposite in MY truck. Of course not all trucks are the same and not all biod is the same.... When I was making biod I was using low titrating oil, water washing, drying and then using purolite to final wash with 2 micron filters. My bio was good stuff. When I hit 50% + I noticed a bit less power. I did not have my 5er then so I can not comment on heavy-ish tow power on b50. Pulling my 5k boat I noticed a bit less power. Now I run wvo in my 2 tank setup and I see NO difference in power on wvo or d2 pulling my 5er grossing 22k. Now my truck may be the freak of nature... not sure but in my experience on my truck wvo yelds the same power as d2.

I had my truck dynoed on wvo at a truck gathering and laid down 329hp and 760.2 tq on my hottest tune with stock injectors and a stock turbo. Just a diy intake, btm in place of the factory muffler and a tuner that I hate but will not slam since everyone likes him. It was funny when I finished the run, a few guys near the back of the truck asked me why my truck smelled funny and wanted to know if there was a problem with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
biodiesel, custom, tune, winter, wvo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.