Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

raw power pump

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  timmyboy76 
#1 ·
Does this pump shut-off once system is primed for starting, as to the stock D2 pump does? Just curious.

#2 ·
The Raw Power pump lacks artificial inteligence. :hehe:

The best way to control the pumps as noted above is with a relay. Using the stock fuel pump power supply, power a relay with the 12v sourced from the stock pump. Use a seperate wire to trigger the relay that is on a switch. When the relay is energized, power will switch the pumps for you. Pretty simple application of a relay, giving you all of the features (fuse protection, auto shut off, etc) of the stock system.

#3 ·
A pump is a pump is a pump. All it really is is a motor. Its either on or off. Controls are secondary and are a function of how the user desires to use said pump...

As Veggin said a simple relay control will make the pump function adequately. If your building a WVO system then IMO you wouldnt want your pump to function as stock as your looking for correct oil temps before system startup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
:doh:...should've seen that coming. Concern was for when cycling the G.P's. Have the LED hooked to relay and stock pump cuts out way before the gpr done cycling. Thought onced primed, the motor then "trips", not giving a thtought its in the computer system...Eventually, my system, both the D2 side and WVO side, will run on same pump..(500+ for a pump, i want my $$$ worth.)

#5 ·
Hey- seen your pix in another thread and looks GOOD.
Sharing pumps is a double edge sword though. I did it for a while and it will work fine. Only issue that steered me away from that is when (not if) the VO pump develops a hiccup, or just plain pukes, there you are. Even running the D2 side on a stock pump is better than being stranded.

Just a thought I wanted to share, take it for what its worth!

#6 ·
Thanks for the props, Veggin...:thumb: I built it that way based on living in CA. No need to mess with the smog guys, or givethem reason...couple quik hose-clamps, a few bolts, and hole system outta truck.

I thought about the 1-only pump also, and figured of doing a 3-way along with a checkvalve from veg pump going into factory line. That way, WHEN it does crap out, i flip the switch, turn D2 on, and out on road again...

Side note...i noticed when run'n D2, that my veggie pressure gauge gets up to mid/hi 90's. I then have to hit the purge quik to relieve it. I went ahead and installed a "relief pressure" device, back in tank, on another manifold. It worked GREAT, but why the pressure. I would've thought that the D2 pump, puting 70psi in the fuel bowl would only put 70psi in the veggie lines, up to the purge, but noty the case. Any thoughts on it???

#7 ·
Side note...i noticed when run'n D2, that my veggie pressure gauge gets up to mid/hi 90's. I then have to hit the purge quik to relieve it. I went ahead and installed a "relief pressure" device, back in tank, on another manifold. It worked GREAT, but why the pressure. I would've thought that the D2 pump, puting 70psi in the fuel bowl would only put 70psi in the veggie lines, up to the purge, but noty the case. Any thoughts on it???
Are you putting WVO thru the same stock filter housing as D2?

Do you have check valves in the heads or somewhere isolating the two system sides?

#8 ·
nah, only part that both d2 and wvo is sharing is the fuel rails. Have CV's on the oem fuel lines at heads...if i can draw/post a drawing i would, but computer knowledge is limited..:tard:

WVO side goes....tank, pump, filter, (3/8)checkvalve on little manifold in box , FPHE, TIH down frame, main manifold in valley, split to d/s rear and ps front..to feed veggie. Purge is hooked to manifold in box.

D2 side is stock but with CV's at heads of hard fuel lines, using stock pump. Wont re-do system with only 1 pump until after summer...i'll post pic of closeup of items in box for better visual....stay tuned...loading pics now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.