Are there any negatives to using biodiesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are there any negatives to using biodiesel

I know very little about biodiesel and was thinking about starting to run b20 and then b50 from the pump in my 99 7.3. I understand that I will probably need to change a few fuel filters when they get clogged, and the biodiesel might start to gel when it gets cold, but is there anything else that might make it a bad idea to run biodiesel. I heard something about the biodiesel eating rubber lines and anything else rubber that it comes in contact with. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM

with your truck you have little to worry about other than what you addressed above.
Remember, there is no substitute for QUALITY biodiesel. Make certain your source has passed the ASTM requirements.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM

cant b50 eat the rubber and seals in the fuel system?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
cant b50 eat the rubber and seals in the fuel system?
Very little natural rubber still exists on modern production vehicles.
His specific application (99 PSD) will encounter few issues running quality B100 (besides the stupid in tank prefilter Ford designed in their devine and infinate widsom.....)

If he had a 1982 VW Caddy 1.8L IDI diesel, well, thats another story. If you keep your tennis shoes out of the fuel tank, degredationis no problem.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM

So is it likely that the in tank filter will clog with crap after I start running biodiesel?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' Powerstroke View Post
So is it likely that the in tank filter will clog with crap after I start running biodiesel?
It is possible and likely.
However, it is a a potential good thing too. The filters can and usually do reach the end of their service life long before the truck/engine/drive line do. It allows for the tank to be well cleaned by the biodiesel giving it a fresh start on YOUR schedule, not unexpectantly. Either drop the tank (or lift the bed) and either replace the strainers or eliminate them. Either way, they will cause problems; with or without B100 use.

Your stock pump will be happier without them. They are known to cause all sorts of misdiagnosed problems. Life is way better without them in my opinion.

On a side note:
QUALITY biodiesel is very important. Old, under-reacted, oxidized, or wet fuel will do lots of damage. Be sure what you are buying is an ASTM quality or better!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Here is a link to the "Hutch Mod" to cure the prefilter failure.....

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
It is possible and likely.
However, it is a a potential good thing too. The filters can and usually do reach the end of their service life long before the truck/engine/drive line do. It allows for the tank to be well cleaned by the biodiesel giving it a fresh start on YOUR schedule, not unexpectantly. Either drop the tank (or lift the bed) and either replace the strainers or eliminate them. Either way, they will cause problems; with or without B100 use.

Your stock pump will be happier without them. They are known to cause all sorts of misdiagnosed problems. Life is way better without them in my opinion.

On a side note:
QUALITY biodiesel is very important. Old, under-reacted, oxidized, or wet fuel will do lots of damage. Be sure what you are buying is an ASTM quality or better!
Dang!! Where have you been the past 5 months!! I have a 99.5 SD F250, and we have ran into just a few ( or more) problems with the fuel pump in general. We live in a small town and good diesel is out of our way. Therefore we tend to use sub-par fuel. Resulting in FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS!! Just to let you in on quality of diesel, off road runs better than highway diesel.
It would have been nice to know the solution. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Beast View Post
Dang!! Where have you been the past 5 months!! I have a 99.5 SD F250, and we have ran into just a few ( or more) problems with the fuel pump in general.It would have been nice to know the solution. Thanks.
Did you have the issue I previously mentioned?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
Did you have the issue I previously mentioned?
A similar problem with trash in general. Like I said, the diesel in our area is sub par with the standard most are used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.