New to the WVO conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the WVO conversion

I have been upgrading my 97' and would like to do the conversion for when I make longer trips. Currently I probably spend a max of 20-30 minutes driving in town driving so short trips without reaching max operating temp, but do occasionally get on the road longer and would like the option to burn some WVO. I also like the idea of processing WVO at home because it will be a precursor to full on biodiesel production eventually.

My setup will maintain the stock dual tank fuel system for diesel and use an in-bed tank for WVO. I'll be running a similar design to ridiculously_necessary as far as all the plumbing goes

Here are some basic questions after reading up on as much as I could.
1. When switching from WVO back to diesel to purge the system before shutdown what prevents the WVO in the return line from going back to the diesel tank?
2. How well does the 99+ electric fuel pump handle WVO? are there any OEM electric pumps out there that are preferred? (I'd like to stick with oem, something thats easily replaced at any parts store).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First off you can never do enough reserch, read some more, and then read some more.

A stock SD pump will not handle WVO.... At $100+ locally you will spend more on those pumps then you would buying a pump designed to handle WVO and is likly to have a lifetime warranty.

If you study RN's design a bit closer you will notice he has check valves at the heads on both the WVO and D2 sides...

This is a huge project and if not done correctly could cause alot of headaches for you... Injectors clogged with WVO being one possibility...

Do some more reserch...

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sorry i havent been hanging around on this forum as much.

i never did use the stock 99+ PSD pump, i need to get around to modiying that design. i ended up using two of WVO Designs pumps.

for my OBS i had two cv's and used the stock banjo bolt, had a D2 and WVO cv just before a Tee at the banjo, the other end was dead headed. i planned on adding a regulator later and doign a full return. the truck ended up getting totaled never got around to it.

if i had it to do again, i would NOT use the banjo, i would replace it with braded steel lines and use a tee. have D2 and WVO enter the same spot, still use the two cv's. if not using a regulated return on the other two ports of the head, i would use a two way valve to run my purge.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the reply, My e-fuel system replaced the banjo bolt with a T already. I intend to have a solenoid switch prior to the T to control the fuel/wvo running into the injectors, and a solenoid switch after the FPR to reroute wvo back to the in-bed tank. Each system will be completely seperate of the other except between these junctions, and I will control the electric fuel pumps with switches as well.

My concern was with the remaining WVO headed into the injectors after I switch solenoids to purge the system with D2, I had intended to have both solenoids on 1 switch, but I guess I could have them on separate ones and switch the return line solenoid a few minutes later. A little D2 in the WVO tank is better then a little WVO in the D2 tank I would think.

For the fuel pump I'll probably end up using a bosch inline pump and coolant heated fuel filter running into a 40 plate FPHE unless you think thats overkill.

Some other things I'm interested in are what people are doing to reach operating temps faster. I think a deep cycle battery bank and in-tank electric heater would be a neat way to preheat, you could keep them charged with a second alternator or a roof mounted solar panel. Also a plug-in coolant heater may work well.

Last edited by Boise Outlaw; 03-01-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Your wasting your time with that Bosch pump... It wont hold up, the seals wont hold up either. To each thier own though...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

right on, so whats the recommended pump to use?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Fass HD or WVO Designs... Both are rated for WVO and carry warranties for such use...

Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
Fass HD or WVO Designs... Both are rated for WVO and carry warranties for such use...

x2 on this.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is pump failure an issue with the viscosity of the oil or with corrosiveness? I'd think that D2 is much more corrosive then WVO, and viscosity can be easily controlled by monitoring the temperature of WVO in the fuel cell.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise Outlaw View Post
thanks for the reply, My e-fuel system replaced the banjo bolt with a T already. I intend to have a solenoid switch prior to the T to control the fuel/wvo running into the injectors, and a solenoid switch after the FPR to reroute wvo back to the in-bed tank. Each system will be completely seperate of the other except between these junctions, and I will control the electric fuel pumps with switches as well.

For the fuel pump I'll probably end up using a bosch inline pump and coolant heated fuel filter running into a 40 plate FPHE unless you think thats overkill.

Bosch pump- Wont last long. Heated filter and 40 FPHE-Over kill NO. Adequate- Yes.

Some other things I'm interested in are what people are doing to reach operating temps faster. I think a deep cycle battery bank and in-tank electric heater would be a neat way to preheat, you could keep them charged with a second alternator or a roof mounted solar panel. Also a plug-in coolant heater may work well.

Dont concern yourself with tank temps. It has little to do with switch over times. It will take longer for the engine to come up to temp, than getting the rest of a well built system to heat up. The whole battery heated thing would likely prove useless. If switchover times are of that much concern, think biodiesel instead of WVO....because the reality is that if set up correctly, it should only takes minutes at road speed for the system to be up to temp.

Look into TIH also, if concerned about cold weather operation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.