Vegistroke vs GFS? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vegistroke vs GFS?

I'm about to make the leap to converting my 1997 F250 7.3l HD diesel to run on veggie oil.

I've been thinking about, planning and changing my mind for over a year now on which company I should go with.

I narrowed my search to GFS because Charles has been such a great guy so far BUT I have recently discovered Vegistroke.

Is it true if you have a Powerstroke - Vegistroke is the best way to go?

ALSO... my truck has DUAL TANKS and I would like to avoid purchasing a full kit.

Thanks,

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Vegistroke!!. It's not even a close call. I would do a DIY before buying a GFS. Heard of too many problems with them.

If your dual tanks are plastic then you should be able to use one for veg but you should have a heated pickup so you will have to figure out how to install that. If your tanks are steel then that's a poly maker & a no no.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 PM

I have a feeling Vegistroke is going to win this one.

Ouch, both of my tanks are steel. I have a feeling a new plan will be needed.

Is there any possible way to use veg in those tanks?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 AM

Sure you can use them for veg but you run the risk of poly forming in them & causing a huge mess. I think your best bet is to find another tank made from plastic or aluminum & either mounting it in the bed or under the truck somewhere. I understand why you want to use the tank you already have but in the long run you will be better off spending some money & doing it right. Your going to get that money back real quick in fuel savings.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM

If I lived in Florida, I would be running B100 and forget the WVO.

You can either convert the truck or the fuel. In a warmer climate, I see more benefit in converting the fuel.

Having done both sucessfully (WVO and B100), I know that producing Biodiesel is the direction I would be headed if I were you.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 AM

I've considered the biodiesel but our goal is to be on the road for a year. I could be wrong but I don't feel I could process biodiesel on the road like I could with WVO - otherwise I do need to rethink the set-up.

Although we're currently located in South Florida, the goal is to leave and have a set-up that can handle colder climates - not freezing, as we'll be in a Fifth Wheel, but cold.

I will have at least one tank in the bed of the truck for WVO but I'd like one of the dual tanks to carry WVO. Original goal was to have a tank for filtering / storage and pump it manually into one of the truck's tanks.

Would it be worth it "financially" to replace one of my factory tanks with a plastic or aluminum tank?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM

I used to be on that fence. I purchased a V3 kit that should be shipping this week.

The one concept that help me feel completely comfortable with me decision was filtering/dewatering wvo. GFS really pushes filter on the fly and to rely on your vehicle filters. I've come to the conclusion that cleaning your wvo is best done off the road. Once you forget about the "one shot, single shot" program, GFS only has their tanks.

I used to like GFS tanks. However, the tanks from BFT have better design aspects. Hide/protect the connections, add in a tool box, AND keep it below the bed rails. Once again the filtering comes into play. Also, no filter canister. Keep those parts in the garage.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM

downside to vegistroke is price and customer service. Another option to get you going is Greasecar kit.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
downside to vegistroke is price and customer service.
It's interesting you mention customer service. It was the clean web site that first interested me in GFS.

I have read of people having issues getting parts for their vegistroke kits. However, I feel there is a better community around here. There are more people who are quick to support their vegistroke compared to others. That says something.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
The one concept that help me feel completely comfortable with me decision was filtering/dewatering wvo. GFS really pushes filter on the fly and to rely on your vehicle filters. I've come to the conclusion that cleaning your wvo is best done off the road. Once you forget about the "one shot, single shot" program, GFS only has their tanks.
On road filtration is a disaster waiting to happen. Really, what do they (GFS)think you are going to do: Pull up behing Joe's diner and RIP HIM OFF? The contents of the grease receptacle IS NOT the property of the restaurantuer once deposited. Helping one self to its contents, with or without the consent of the owner/manager/cook is THEFT.

After collecting tens of thousands of gallons of WVO, and having agravity fed CF for nearly 6 years, I can tell you that a spin on filter, water blocking or not, will NEVER clean oil to a safe (500 PPM) water level. Period. A pipe dream, at best. Not to mention contaminants, detergents/cleaners, caustics, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
downside to vegistroke is price and customer service. Another option to get you going is Greasecar kit.
OMFG NO! Dont do it. I started with one. The Greasecar PSD kit is a highly under engineered POS obviously designed by someone who has absolutely NO F'ing clue what it takes to safely operate the HEUI injection system on ANY fuel! That system is only worth the value of the tank ($500) and the filter housing ($200) in my opinion. If you need the rest of the pieces they provide, let me know. I will happily sell them to you for half of their value......which is near NOTHING. Them boys should have quit after designing the kit for the VW 1.9L ALH engine. It takes very little smarts to realize that these thirsty 7.3 cannot be reliable supplied by an improperly located stock pump, and PULLING THICK OIL THRU THE FILTER.

Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.