Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6 oil

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  frakchered 
#1 ·
so a buddy of mine works in an environmental company and gives me a call today saying that he's got TONS of #6 oil which im interpreting as crude oil, correct me if i am wrong.

My question is what would i have to do to my 99 7.3L to run this oil in my truck as fuel.. aside from filtering/dewatering'' and is it even possible

#2 · (Edited)
Wow #6 is a pretty heavy bunker oil. Lot of undesirable crap in that!! Put it this way it's like boiling all the good burning fuel out of a barrel of oil and the one gallon of goop left over that looks like molasses is what #6 is like. The high mineral and coke content would probably be real hard on injectors.

#3 ·
so probably just go with regular oil / atf

#5 ·
I worked with 6 oil at a boiler plant. It is molasses at best. If that stuff is not over 100 degress good luck moving it. You would have to cut it with kerosene to about 5:1 if not more to get it thin enough. You would spend more money in kersoene that it is worth.

#4 ·
I only burn diesel, what you burn is up to you. There are a lot of guys that burn alternate fuels that can chime in with their opinions, but IMO Bunker 6 is a garbage oil that's only good for spraying on gravel roads. If it was Bunker 4 or less I'd say give it a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.