how long will regular diesel fuel last in storage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question how long will regular diesel fuel last in storage

I know this isn't specifically related to biodiesel, other alternative fuels, but I'm sure there could be some expertise and advise on the matter:

A friend of mine discovered about 300 gallons of some VERY OLD diesel fuel stored underground that he tested for water with the test paste, and it seemed very clean and tested NO water on the stick with the paste. The diesel fuel is of course actually #2 home heating oil and home heating oil #2 is the same as regular diesel #2. Anyway, once a few gallons of this fuel was drawn from the underground tank, it appeared to be so old that it wasn't even dyed red!

The guy who owns the home who switched to gas heating and selling this un-needed oil (for a relatively cheap price), said that the oil was at least 15-20 years old.

If this oil doesn't contain water could it in theory be used in my friend's late 99' 7.3L Powerstroke farm truck? He also has an older Ford diesel tractor on the farm that he wants to try it in.

I've often heard that diesel will pretty much keep indefinitely when it is not exposed to water, and if it is kept bacteria free.

What would cause bacteria in the fuel anyway? And could you still use it if it has bacteria? If diesel fuel truly does store nearly indefinitely in the right conditions, and in a relatively good tank that hasn't started corroding, and isn't filled with rust, etc., then I really wouldn't want to think that the fuel should go to waste if someone could use it. But I wouldn't want my friend to mess up his equipment if the fuel is no good either.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
add a good amount of fuel conditioner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.