Diesel from waste motor oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Diesel from waste motor oil

Hi , read a couple of old posts on here and needed to share some info ;

I have been distilling used engine oil for a few months now, and wanted to let you know that ;

1. Both vehicles are running fine.
2. The Toyota seems to run even better than on regular diesel.
3. Producing approx 2lts hour.
4. Uses about 10% of fuel made to run burners.
5. No electricity required.
6. Cost - Made from bits around my garage - Waste oil free from scrappy -
Total fuel cost per litre = /$ 00.00

If anyone else is doing this I would be interested in their findings.

Mark

p.s. I'am very busy at the mo , so may not answer straight away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats great. A more detailed discription of you processor & process would be great. Pics would be great if you have any.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Hi , will do soon , just need to make a few more tweeks. Got it up to 5ltrs/hour today. Last big problem I have is reliability of burners , they keep clogging up every couple of hours, even though I have filters on the feed fuel lines !
Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Found the problem , the heat being passed back down the copper pipe from the burner was causing it to break-up inside, sorted !

Brief outline of what I'am doing;

Heating waste motor oil in a old 7kg propane gas cylinder,350c or higher.
Collect and condense gases back to diesel and petrol.
The diesel is red/brown in colour, but is same viscosity and works fine.
The petrol is same colour, but niot good enough to run in engine, tried it in lawnmower,starts ok but wont run off choke. I use this to run burners.
The whole system is air free, but no pressure.
I have found that the higher the temp , the quicker I can run it (more ltrs/hr)

Interested if anyone else is doing this.
Diesel in uk is now 1.44 ltr = $2.25
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been considering cracking my own diesel from waste oil for a while now, pm me the build list some pics and details and I can get on it, once I am up and running we can compare notes, Im also working on hydroxy generators for my petrol vehicles you may be interested in that as well.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM

Will do, but a bit busy at the mo.

Hydroxy generator ? Is this another name for HHO ? If so , been there, done that = no great success, only managed 1ltr/min , maybe not enough for my 2.4d.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'm the director of a power plant with natural gas recip engines and a couple of 2MW diesel backups that produce several thousand gallons of used oil per year. Up until now, we've paid to dispose of this stuff, but I've been thinking a lot lately about trying to clean it up and burn as fuel.. I'm curious to see what kind of setup you've got going.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Hi Kahmann, as I said earlier , I'am a tad busy at the mo ( trying to get my tax returns done for Tuesday !) Will be on the case asap with more details.

Just to add , it's a great feeling driving past the garage's without needing to stop to fill-up!

Mark
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There was a big long thread about cracking WMO into #2 on here. It was a lot of work.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Hi , All I know is that I'am getting two fuels from the process, one which is a low grade type petrol, it ran my mower but only on choke , I'am thinking of reprocessing it again to see if it improves. The other is a diesel type fuel , a mix of kerosene, diesel and others in that range, it runs both my vehicles just fine.
As to the process being complicated , my set-up is really basic and simple to construct.
I posted this thread in a attempt to compare notes with others who have done the same, not to push this as a new idea and claim to have solved the global problem of waste oil disposal.My system is still in the development stage at the mo , I know I can improve it, but the set-up is working and I need to make use of it now, the pennies are far and few between at the mo.

Will post more details soon, but for now , this is my basic set-up;

I drip feed ( approx 2/3 lts/hr) through a 15mm/1/2" pipe , which starts higher than the boiler and has a loop at the bottom to give some wmo pressure that the gases being produced cannot return up.

The wmo then enters my boiler at the top, the boiler is a old 7kg gas bottle.

It's heated at the mo by two old kerosene blow-lamp heads, gravity feed via filters.(still having reliability prob's with this, clogging up every 2/3hrs.This run on the petrol type fuel I produce or the diesel if I have'nt enough petrol.

The boiler is well lagged and heated to 350c or higher , I don't have a guage.

The gases rise up through a 1" steel water pipe about 18" , then 90 degrees along the same pipe which is then bent slightly down, this pipe is about 3' long.I then joined a 15mm/1/2" copper pipe (easier to work with) It then doubles back , still running slightly down (approx 10/15 degrees).

The above pipe travels through a 22mm/3/4" copper pipe , sealed at both ends using T- brass fittings ( 15/15/22). This pipe has cold water flowing through it.This condenses any gases that have not already been condensed. The pipe is about 3' long.

At the end of the 15mm/1/2" pipe is another brass T, 15mm/10mm/10mm , one 10mm is pointing down, this is to allow the fuel to run out via a tube into a sealed container.(old motor oil plastic container). The other 10mm goes straight on , connected to this is another plastic pipe which enters another sealed container ( old plastic milk bottle).The bottle is half full of water, the pipe ends below water level.Another pipe leaves the top and takes the gases that have not condensed back to the boiler to be burned-off.

The reason for the above is two fold, to create a flame trap and to stop air entering the boiler.

The only pressure in the system is caused by the depth of water you place the tube in the flame trap (bubbler).

The fuel is put into another open container and allowed to cool and settle, then pumped through a filter and into my vehicles.

Sounds complicated, but is really simple, I built it ! It's just a still really.

If anyone does copy/use this to make fuel , they do so at there own risk, and need to check legalities of their own country.

I have tried many types of ideas in the past to get better mpg, but this is the first that works. The waste oil is free from local scrapy, no electricity used, self running.

Be careful , these are flamable gases and the heat required is high !

You may find another post in the future saying I've knackered my engine , who know's,but it really loves to run on what I'am producing.

Last edited by Markthelark; 01-25-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diesel, distill, homemade, motor, oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.