Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

95 F350 WVO build planning/starting

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  techno550 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently acquired a 1995 F350 crew cab long bed dually. I've been somewhat planning the WVO conversion, and contemplating how to manage the fuel side of things. That was somewhat pushed today. I discovered a fuel leak in the valley of the motor. Looked like a fuel line leak. Pulled the fuel bowl to replace the lines. The fuel bowl / filter were plugged with rusty crap. Cleaned that up and found a patch of JB weld on the side of the bowl. Broke that off to see what was under it, and there was a small hole that looked eroded into the bowl? Went ahead and fired up the TIG and welded the hole shut. Put it all back together with a new filter and new hoses. Took it for a short test drive. Came back and the valley was flooded with diesel again. The mechanical pump, fuel lines, and bowl all appear dry from the areas I can see. Frustrated by this, and not feeling like rebuilding the whole thing (and looking up the price of a new mech pump and new fuel bowl and new FPR unit in my "screw it, I'll just replace it all" mentality... and then going "oh damn" at the prices for all of those parts) I'm now going all electric pump(s).

So onto the design side of things. (As well as all of the questions.)
I know I will need a bunch of filters. Suggestions/recommendations on that front? Most seem to use a coarse filter in front of the electric pump and a fine one after.

I am also planning on running WVO, and trying to decide what to do on the tank situation. The rust in the filter makes me question the tanks. I will be looking into the tanks and their need for replacement. If replacing, I have found standard replacement tanks are cheap, but are there larger alternatives? Any poly options? Or should I leave the stock tanks alone (replace with OE bits as necessary) and add an additional tank elsewhere (bed or free up space by re-routing the exhaust and make another tank on the passenger side).

Pumps. I am planning on using a superduty electric pump for the diesel side. Will this work for wvo? perhaps with the addition of a low pressure assist pump feeding it? I've seen a few gear pumps, but they seem to all be quite expensive.

I plan on running the two systems in parallel, FPR(s) under the bed/cab with the filters and pumps. Reuse the feed and re-purpose the return line as the two feeds, and check valves just before a block before the feed into the fuel rails.

For the feed block / check valves, I am considering reusing the lines and giant banjo bolt that threads into the stock fuel pump. I have a few thoughts there. One is to make a new piece that fits in place of the stock pump. The other is to gut/modify a stock mechanical pump, remove the plunger, weld it up, machine a place for the check valves to thread in, etc.

The returns from the fuel rails I plan on running to a block with a ball valve to allow manually purging if needed.

I've also seen a few used 6.0 and 6.4 fuel filter/pump assemblies on ebay. Haven't found much info on the units though. Any good place to get info on these?

So far, I envision the fuel flow on the diesel side to be:
stock fuel tanks -> selector valve -> 30 micron filter -> superduty fuel pump -> 5 micron filter -> fuel pressure regulator -> old return line to top of engine -> check valve -> fuel rails

On the wvo side:
Aux fuel tank -> 30 micron filter -> 6.4 lift pump? -> superduty fuel pump -> 5 micron filter -> fuel pressure regulator -> old feed line to top of engine -> pate heat exchanger -> check valve -> fuel rails

Any input on any of this? What am I missing and or what am I about to do wrong? :)

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.