Need some opinions for Bio conversion. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some opinions for Bio conversion.

Hey guys,

2004 F250 Powerstroke. Been running on Bio for 2 years now without any conversion. I need some help. The internet is full of resources but everybody has varying opinions.

I want to purchase a heated tank for my truck along with any necessary filters and additional pumps. Most importantly, i want to purchase a tuner/chip that will allow for mpg maximization taking into account bio oil use.

Do you guys know of any proven kits out there? Or is it better to purchase everything separately? What are your experiences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Jay- There is a lot of stuff and people out there willing to sell you a chunk of aluminum with a glow plug stuck in it and call it a complete kit, but if you are looking for the full package there is really only one True system for our truck- The Vegistroke manufactured by Bio Fuel Technologies (BFT). It was a system designed as a system meaning Heated tanks, fuel lines, manifold, pump, Electronics wiring, everything was designed together as a system specifically for the Powerstroke- 7.3 and 6.0.

Nice thing is it is designed to be failsafe and automatically diverts back to diesel in the event of a loss of pressure, component failure, plugged filter etc and is fully automatic so that even the little old lady on the corner could drive it and not have to worry about anything. Also a very large and loyal support network here- BioFuels Technologies Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Downside- The best is seldom ever the cheapest.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:06 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you are asking about a seperate heated tank to use Biodiesel in? Did I read that correctly? If you've been running biodiesel for the past two years then I'm sure you are happy with the fuel, no? I am. I've been running blends of B-20 all the way to B-99 in the warmer months and I couldn't be happier.

Anway, I would NOT use the Vegistroke to use as a heated tank to use biodiesel in. You can, and some do I'm sure for the colder months, but wow, the cost would hardly justify it since you're single tank will accomodate biodiesel (without any modifications, etc). This is all providing that I understand your question correctly.

In response to a chip. I like my DP-Tuner. I only got the 60 hp economy tune for more mileage and a decent bump up in power. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I have been running 100% bio through the summer for the past 4 years .When the temps start to fall my fuel heater will heat the fuel up to 120F with the excess going back to the tank, warm , which will help warm the fuel in the tank. I have a flat plate heat exchanger , that's heated by the engine coolant . I also did the hutch mod and installed a Racor filter and a small facet pump to help the stock fuel pump. You will still have to blend with diesel according to temperature . Where are you located?
If you run bio/diesel mix and don't watch the temps., you will have a gelled tank of bio/diesel. Which means you will need to have a constant source of heat , either electric, when the truck isn't running or by engine coolant.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Ditto to what he just said.

And....

Depending on where you live, could mean less Bio usage in the winter months. Of course you've already told us that you've been using it for 2 years now, so it sounds like you kinda got a hold on that part, but for what it's worth, and especially for those who live in some of the coldest of climates, Kerosene is a GREAT cutter/reducer of biodiesel, and to diesel fuel in general.

And I've yet to find a better cold weather additive than the Power Service fuel supplement and cetane boost in the white bottle. This is really great stuff. It prevents wax crystals from forming, and practically acts like a 50/50 mixture of D-1 and D-2. Really good stuff I might add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.