Ready to burn WMO, questions about upgrading my fuel system (FPHE/Electric pump) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ready to burn WMO, questions about upgrading my fuel system (FPHE/Electric pump)

Im ready to start collecting and cleaning my WMO and want to make sure my fuel system is going to be up to par and ready to handle the WMO without a problem. Ill be warming the truck up on D2 from the rear tank, then switching to the forward tank after its warmed up.

Question 1: Is polymerization a problem with WMO when using a FPHE with copper or brass, or is that only an issue with WVO? I want to install a FPHE in the engine valley but dont want to create an issue by using the wrong materials.

Question 2: I will store my WMO in the forward tank and a 110 gal L tank in the bed, possibly connecting the two via a simple drain valve. Do I need to consider adding or upgrading my fuel pump in the tank or in line? I replaced the mechanical lift pump a couple weeks ago, but am considering replacing that with an electric fuel pump and deleting the fuel bowl, opinions?

Is there anything else I should be looking at doing before making the switch to WMO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you are definitely going to need to heat the oil or blend it 85% oil / 15% gasoline. I dont think you need to upgrade the mechanical pump and instead would just have an extra one with the proper tools to change it.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM

There is really no need for a 2 tank on wmo. I think your just making more work and expense.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Ill be blending with 15% rug, so that should help with the flow at colder temps.
fordfan, the reason for the large in bed tank is that i take frequent trips to south georgia and north florida to visit family, being able to bring my own fuel with me in quantities large enough to not need a refuel on the road will pay for itself in one trip, especially since the L shaped tanks that fit under the toolbox can be had for less then $300 on CL or eBay. Shouldn't be any more work than just placing the tank in the bed. Eventually ill be connecting the L tank with the forward tank via a valve and hose, until then Ill manually transfer fuel with an electric pump ill mount inside the toolbox that will serve double duty when i collect my WMO as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemorgan3 View Post
Ill be blending with 15% rug, so that should help with the flow at colder temps.
fordfan, the reason for the large in bed tank is that i take frequent trips to south georgia and north florida to visit family, being able to bring my own fuel with me in quantities large enough to not need a refuel on the road will pay for itself in one trip, especially since the L shaped tanks that fit under the toolbox can be had for less then $300 on CL or eBay. Shouldn't be any more work than just placing the tank in the bed. Eventually ill be connecting the L tank with the forward tank via a valve and hose, until then Ill manually transfer fuel with an electric pump ill mount inside the toolbox that will serve double duty when i collect my WMO as well.
I wouldn't heat your blend. On other forums it's been discussed and heating the oil too hot releases some chemicals that are very hard on injectors and such.

I been burning WMO and blends of WMO/RUG for two and a half years now and I progressively keep blending higher percentages of RUG into my blend. There are guys blending up to 35%. The most I've done is 20% and my next 60 gallons will be at 25%. This progressively gets rid of more and more carbon build up that might be happening in your cylinders.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes, lots of naysayers, but it works when you do it right.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshust44 View Post
The most I've done is 20% and my next 60 gallons will be at 25%. This progressively gets rid of more and more carbon build up that might be happening in your cylinders.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes, lots of naysayers, but it works when you do it right.
Why not install a water injection system to combat this?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Why not install a water injection system to combat this?
That's next on the list of goodies, followed by an EDGE CTS Insight, coolant filter, headstuds, oversized injectors, rims, tires, etc..., etc..., etc...

Unfortunately for the truck the snowmobile is receiving the majority of the spending funds at this point in time.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
is this on a 6.0 or 7.3? what are you using to filter it before adding it to the tank?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM

7.3, and im picking up my centrifuge this weekend. going to heat the oil/rug blend in a 55 gal drum elevated above the fuge, gravity feed, spin it into a clean holding tank, then into my forward/110 gal in bed tank. im probably going to add a inline filter and do a fuel bowl delete, go all electronic.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemorgan3 View Post
7.3, and im picking up my centrifuge this weekend. going to heat the oil/rug blend in a 55 gal drum elevated above the fuge, gravity feed, spin it into a clean holding tank, then into my forward/110 gal in bed tank. im probably going to add a inline filter and do a fuel bowl delete, go all electronic.

How hot are you going to heat your blend? Be very careful heating anything with RUG in it.

You might want to do some reading over at TDS. Guys are getting bad EOA when running WMO/RUG blend. Lots of smoking problems as well. WMO/RUG may work but it is definetely not an exact science yet. Your rolling the dice running it.

Tubular031 suggested an absoulte must mod for running this stuff IMHO. WI will make your alternative fuel journey more successful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.