Biodiesel blends? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Biodiesel blends?

Now that I am making bio, what is the best blend to run? Are there any things I need to consider? (weather, % of blend etc.) I would like to run B100 as that would save me the most money. Is that safe? Are there any mods necessary.

'09 KR F250. Stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No mods required & you can run b100 as long as it isn't too cold out. Bio gells alot quicker then D2 so if you live in flordia then you probably won't have a problem. If you live in Michigan then in the winter your going to have to mix it with D2 or when it gets real cold not run bio at all. Exactly what temps your will have to start changing your bio % I'm not sure. Some guys mix bio with a bit of RUG to keep it from gelling. It up to you if you are ok with doing that.

The only other thing that will happen is you will probably plug a couple filters. Bio will clean all the buildup & crap in your tank & lines. It won't hurt your engine just plug your filter. Carry a filter with you so you can change it when it happens.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your gonna try bio in a 6.4?? I would do a lot more research before i would make that leap, But that's just me. I mean retail on you truck is probably something like 35k or so?? I would hit up clay and see how he's making out with the 6.4 vegistroke...

Let us know how you make out if you take the leap...
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can't hurt to double check but if BFT is working on a kit to run SVO in a 6.4 then I find it hard to beleive it can't run bio.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive been running B100 on my 04 6.0 for the past 4months.. runs great. I did run a full tank on a 08 6.4 and it was running fine. Then I was stuck in traffic for a min... and it started smoking. Thought it was the biodiesel. Its like the truck didn't want to boost all the way.. from what I read was the dpf... something about a self cleaning. Bt anyways it would smoke for a min. Then stop.. but it hasn't done it since I went back to regular diesel on the 08. So I don't know.. bt for sure it was a dpf issue from what I was reading.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Bio wont hurt your 6.4 and yes, I'm running 100% WVO in mine.
As for gel point, I recently had this discussion on the BFT forum with a guy in Nova Scotia running B100. He claims hes never seen it gel. Turns out this is entirely dependent on the feed stock used to make the fuel. The oil type he was getting apparently was not a feedstock that would gel at even -10*.
Get you a sample jar of your Bio, set it in the fridge, see if it gells, if not, set it in your freezer and I bet it does. My buddy used to make Bio and his would get at around 38*
Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
Bio wont hurt your 6.4 and yes, I'm running 100% WVO in mine.
As for gel point, I recently had this discussion on the BFT forum with a guy in Nova Scotia running B100. He claims hes never seen it gel. Turns out this is entirely dependent on the feed stock used to make the fuel. The oil type he was getting apparently was not a feedstock that would gel at even -10*.
Get you a sample jar of your Bio, set it in the fridge, see if it gells, if not, set it in your freezer and I bet it does. My buddy used to make Bio and his would get at around 38*
Clays the man when it comes to this stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.