All aluminum heat exchanger - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All aluminum heat exchanger

I have been searching high and low for an all aluminum or stainless steal heat exchanger. I found a couple different tube in shell style heat exchangers but they don't have as much heating area as the copper brazed FPHE and they are more expensive. Today I thought of using a liquid to air intercooler. I would plumb it like this: engine coolant would flow through the "air inlet/outlet" and I would plumb the veg to go through the "liquid" side. The liquid to air heat exchangers that I have been looking at are all aluminum, have more than enough surface area, hold to 70 psi and start at $70.

The only issues I see are the size, but I think I can be creative and make one fit, and the pressure. I would like to run at 75 PSI fuel/veg pressure but I heard you can run as low as 50 PSI. I'm thinking 60 PSI would be a happy medium. Let me know what you guys think. My entire conversion so far has no yellow metal, about 90% of my parts are aluminum and stainless. Needless to say I am paranoid about having poly issues. I want to do the conversion once and do it right. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can get a stainless steel flat plate heat exchanger for around 400$. Or you can use a hot fox tube style that costs around 170$ and its also stainless steel. 60psi is not a happy medium for something that is meant to handle max pressure of 70psi. I know you want to be low cost but invest in quality now and it will save you even more money in the future. Remember every 38 gallons of free fuel you burn is about 130$ back in your pocket.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
you can get a stainless steel flat plate heat exchanger for around 400$. Or you can use a hot fox tube style that costs around 170$ and its also stainless steel. 60psi is not a happy medium for something that is meant to handle max pressure of 70psi. I know you want to be low cost but invest in quality now and it will save you even more money in the future. Remember every 38 gallons of free fuel you burn is about 130$ back in your pocket.
Do you think it's worth it to go with an all stainless steel or aluminum heat exchanger? It seams like some people have good luck with the copper brazed FPHE and some don't.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 PM

It depends. I have the lower priced all copper brazed and really with the price difference I should of gone with an all stainless since the hot foxes are only 150$ now. The better quality stuff you get now the better you will be in the long run. There is nothing wrong with copper except that it poly's up faster then other metals if not purged properly. I have seen pictures online of the copper FPHE getting clogged but like always theres a reason. If you don't purge past the heat exchanger then its going to polymerize and clog up a lot faster.

Oh and make sure if you buy the flat plate style that it has the threads for the fittings on the inside. The ones with the threads on the outside are usually 3/4" to 1" and those fittings can get really expensive (over 15$ each).
Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 PM

If you can get a SS or aluminum HE for a reasonable price then for sure go for it. It just makes sense that if would be better. As erbilabuc said though lots of guys seem to be running fine with Copper brazed FPHE's. I have 45k miles on mine & don't see any signs of a problem. I do a partial purge of mine though. Have no idea if that has made a differnce though.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM

I have seriously been considering the Arctic fox Line hauler but I am afraid it won't be enough. From what I have found the Line hauler has about 95 sq in of heating area vs a 20 plate heat exchanger that has about 370 sq in (30 plate is about 550). That is a huge difference. I live in Chicago (COLD winter) and I do some stop and go driving so getting a heat exchanger that will put out a lot of heat is a major priority. I am not sure the line hauler is going to put out enough heat. I think the modified intercooler will put out enough heat but the size and fuel pressure are an issue. Any more thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM

a 30 plate heat exchanger is great and really overkill I think. If you are worried about Winters then just buy a grill cover to regulate air into your engine bay. The thing is that you also have to worry about summertime and 30 plate will retain a lot of heat in the summer and radiate that heat.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 AM

It gets pretty cold here in Nova Scotia & my 20 plate HE gives me more then enough heat. I also use a winter front cover which does help. I added a 203 t-stat, auxillary coolant pump & did TIH to further insure I had enough heat. On the coldest day I still hit 180 temps at the heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.