FAILED HPT and already ran 30+ gallons through truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FAILED HPT and already ran 30+ gallons through truck.

I usually dont check with HPT on every batch but something told me I should on this one. Then I remebered why I needed to after I did.

Finally got part of my new set up done after lots of air leak in suction side.

Full 275 gallon tote had been heated 4 weeks back to about 130 deg f.
Last week I pumped some about 3 inchs above the bottom of tote to my heated 55 gallon barrel, and heated to 160 and let settle for 1 week.

I dont pull the bottom roughly 5 gallons from barrel.

Spun the oil (Simple Centrifuge turnkey) with the WVOdesigns inline heater at max 180 deg f.

Noticed a lot of steam.

I have a jar that collects any moisture that comes out of the waste oil drain. During the 60-70 gallons I processed about 10 oz of water collected in the jar (3X's any previous time, usually just a few drops).
So I ran the batch again, less steam and got 4 oz of water.

Got busy with roof repair.

Few days later I decided to drain off bottom of the tote. I got what I guess to be 4 gallons of water maybe up to six. I had drained off the bottom 25 gallons of tote.

Got busy. Forgot.
Monday had son pump oil in truck while I was showering before work.

Today I was down to less than 1/4 tank and while heating another batch in heated barrel I decided to do a HPT on the batch I was heating. Snap Crackle Pop. Was to be expected since it was partially creamy.

Then I tested the "clean" oil and it didn't pop but there were bubbles maybe 20 or so and the oil wasn't smoking in about 1.5 oz sample.

Should I be worried.
I going to run it thought again but it will be mixed with batch I am already heating.

Should I scrap the rest in the tote or just heat and spin, heat and spin until it passes HPT.

I need to get somewere on proccessing because I got 400+ gallons of dirty, almost no clean and I might be up to my ears in oil soon if a deal goes good today (update will follow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 09:39 AM

I really would not worry too much unless there is actual visible suspended water. What some forget is that majority of our tanks get heated to over 170 degrees (water separates out of oil around 130F). If you have a vent valve in your tank this should take care of most of your water and the minuscule amount that is left will be absorbed by your filter. Some may say Im crazy but its from personal experience and at first I was getting 500-600 miles per filter before clogging and then I realized why.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Ya its cloudy when it come out of the fuge with very small visable water specks in the bottom. Tossed some in a castiron skilit and heated till it stopped crackling and no more bubbles. I Let it cool and its perfectly clear now.

Guess im going to pull the turkey fryer out and boil off the water in 1/2-1 gallon batchs. This is going to take awhile.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 AM

I would just keep fugeing it. It will eventually dewater.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM

what does everyone think about addin air to the fuge area? just some flwo from a compressor to push the hot humid out out more quickly. thoughts?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
what does everyone think about addin air to the fuge area? just some flwo from a compressor to push the hot humid out out more quickly. thoughts?
I met a guy that had a fish tank bubbler at bottom of the barrel and when warming the oil up he would bubble air through it to dewater it.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
Would be an easy thing to try.

Aot of guys are vaccum dewatering & seem to be really happy with it. Not sure how much is involved in setting this up though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.