dual pump question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dual pump question

2000 7.3

Been using a single pump setup for 60k miles 5 years so far.

want to setup to dual pump.

For D2 side just run as the stock pump was originally setup with it's return lines to D2 tank.

For WVO second pump to the blocked ports of the heads with check valve in series with fuel lines. I have a pump from Leon that has a built in regulator.
I was just gonna feed both heads with the output from this pump. No return.
Yes the oil is heated HOH and tank.

Just use a switch to power the selected pump on / off.

No selector valves.

No purge.

Just shut down to D2 last few miles before home. Shouldn't be alot of fuel in the heads left.

I have filtration in line with both pumps.

Trying to keep it simple.

Any comments concerns opinions?

Thanks and happy veggin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

this is how i did my obs until i could build a purge. you will likely still have a bit of veg in the end of the heads but not much. worked fine. do you have an OBS?

imho, use relays for switching. no need to bring 30amps to a switch in the cab. this time i will be set up nearly the same on my SD, but ill have a purge valve tied in after the wvo CV. total cost, probably $60. $60 for peace of mind poly prevention. it will also be set up to backflush the filter a bit, good for those -x winter nights.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM

sounds good enough for the 7.3. Just make sure to always have oil above 140 degrees or engine at normal operating temp (coolant above 185 degrees) before switching over.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM

While a purge valve is not necessary I would suggest you consider it. It is a very good thing to have IMHO. Make sure you have gauges. A pressure gauge is a must & a VO temp gauge is a good idea as well. If you live in a cold climate you may want to consider a 203 t-stat & a collant pump.

I use this 2 relay setup to switch pumps.dual pump relay 2 - Forums
Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 AM

thats the relay setup i use.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Not sure if this was Leons' setup to begin with or not, but it looks like he installed some type of pressure switch to shut off the D2 pump, once the WVO reach a certain psi...its a part from Mcmaster-Carr...if this is the case, anyone know how to go about setting this up. Also, cant you just tap into the wire run'n to the pump from under the dash and put a switch off that wire, assuming, that wire is coming from a relay as well? It would be, your "tapping" into the relay wire from the ignition switch that toggles the D2 pump?

1999-2002 7.3 PSD - WVO Designs Wiki
Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 AM

tubular031 has a pressure switch setup from mcmaster. all that thing is, is a pressure switch, no differnt really than a manual switch in your cab, i think he has a schematic of how he wired it. might shoot him a PM. also, i think i have a link to his conversion in my DIY sticky. i dont recall if the schematic is in there or not.

the relay setup simone posted is using the D2 pump power. pull the + from the pump and run it to #30 on the first relay.

im going to unplug my fuel bowl heater. i dont know what it draws, but there is no need for it, and with a 30 amp pump i dont want a fuse blowing due to unnessary load.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
tubular031 has a pressure switch setup from mcmaster. all that thing is, is a pressure switch, no differnt really than a manual switch in your cab, i think he has a schematic of how he wired it. might shoot him a PM. also, i think i have a link to his conversion in my DIY sticky. i dont recall if the schematic is in there or not.

the relay setup simone posted is using the D2 pump power. pull the + from the pump and run it to #30 on the first relay.

im going to unplug my fuel bowl heater. i dont know what it draws, but there is no need for it, and with a 30 amp pump i dont want a fuse blowing due to unnessary load.
I'm familiar with that #30 fuse, from ALOT of threads, where the heater, once trips the fuse, it kills everything. Being in So-Cal, i dont think i need it.

Still not understanding, how to "run" the + to that #30 on first relay, you posted....am an idiot understanding electric...hopefully i'm stealing the OP questions here, and not threadjacking.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM

when im doing this weekend is pulling the + on the fuel pump and pulling it back up to the engine bay where ill have my relays, then run a new wire down to the D2 pump. i dont really want to splice. just my preference.

so ill pull my D2 pump power, attache to #30 on my relay, then run a wire from 87a on relay #2 to my D2 pump.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
when im doing this weekend is pulling the + on the fuel pump and pulling it back up to the engine bay where ill have my relays, then run a new wire down to the D2 pump. i dont really want to splice. just my preference.

so ill pull my D2 pump power, attache to #30 on my relay, then run a wire from 87a on relay #2 to my D2 pump.
...got it brother. Atleast now, i'll be doing this..., to install relays, and my post didnt turn into this...

Thanks man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.