6.0 PSD WVO System Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 PSD WVO System Build

I'm about halfway through my build and figured I'd see if anyone has any tips or comments on my system as it is to date. I have no graphics and haven't had time to upload any pictures yet but I'll do my best to describe my system.

To begin with, I have a 100 gallon in-bed transfer tank which will store the bulk of my WVO. A hose will connect the transfer tank to a smaller 8 gallon tank beneath the bed (right next to the stock fuel tank) which is heated by engine coolant.

WVO from the small tank flows through braided -6 AN lines to a 10 micron pre-filter, a Raw Power pump, and a final 5 micron filter. From there it flows through a valve system which allows the oil to return to the small tank during purges or on to the engine.

Just prior to the engine the line splits and is directed to the rear ports on the heads using OEM banjo fittings. Check valves have been installed in all four ports to prevent mixing.

The system itself is controlled by an Arduino microprocessor. There are two switches in the cab, System On/Off and Purge Bypass On/Off, which control the overall operation.

In theory, the engine will start on diesel and warm up the WVO in the small tank. Upon reaching 160 degrees the WVO pump will turn on and circulate the oil in the lines for approximately 10 seconds. This allows the entire system to warm up as well as remove any air from the lines from filter changes. After the purge cycle, a solenoid will close preventing the oil from returning to the tank. Upon reaching 65 psi the diesel pump will shut off and the engine should begin running on WVO.

More or less the reverse for shutdown.

My biggest question mark for this project is in regards to plumbing into the coolant system. How have other people accomplished this feat? Are you re-directing the entire flow or just a portion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

good to see a DIY 6.0 guy.

here are a few thoughts, where do you live? if it gets cold where you are, you may expirience problems with that 10 micron pre-filter. it may cause too much vacuum, possibly blow the pump fuse. fwiw, that raw power pump should have a prescreen on the inlet. im in MO where the most i would personally put in is an xx micron prescreen.

clarification request.... i am not familair with how the fuel enters the 6.0, i know there is a banjo thats about it. when you say you have cv's in all four ports, your not blocking D2 flow into the vo line for the purge cycle are you?

as for coolant:
out of engine > nearest vo heat exchanger > filter > fuel line > tank then back up to the cab heater core.

thats one of many ways, you may wish to have cab heat first. either way, be sure the hottest coolant hits the vo closest to the heads first. tank should be last.

when i did my first convert i did > coolant from motor > filter > hih > tank > heater core. i did not have an fphe.

hope this helps! fwiw, there are a few guys on the BFT forums with 6.0 conversion. not to drive you away from here, this is a great site. just a heads up on where you might find more info.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 10-10-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Duh! Between the heater core and engine! I didn't even think of that. I'm a moron.

Diesel enters the rail from the front of both heads and I have VO entering both heads from the rear. There is a check valve in each of the diesel banjos so no oil can enter the diesel lines and there is a check valve in each of the VO lines so no diesel can enter. Because of the circulating nature of this system I don't believe there will be much of an issue of cold oil. Couldn't be more than a few feet of unheated lines but it will be in the engine bay so should be nice and warm regardless.

I also have only the tank heated. I'm in Nashville and it probably won't get terribly chilly. Suppose this will be an issue?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how are you going to get around the low fuel pressure code that will show up when you turn of the D2 pump? or have you had that problem?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

[QUOTE=NMRAcer;2704477 There is a check valve in each of the diesel banjos so no oil can enter the diesel lines[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have at least put some time and thought into this, and then asking questions. That right there is a 90% of the battle. With that said, I hope you have aftermarket check valves installed in the Diesel lines. The Factory Banjo Bolt Check valves are not true check valves and will allow WVO back into your Diesel system.

Next thing is like Ridiculous said, You probably should have a heater in your primary tank. The 8gallon heat tank sounds good, and I see what you are saying about circulation heating up the big tank, but if you can't get the cold oil out of the big tank to begin with, not much circulation going to happen. Honestly, for the money spent on two tanks and the plumbing, you might have been better off ordering a basic heated tank from BFT.

However so long as it is warm out, you won't have too many problems, but I design towards worst case scenario. Weather is unpredictable these days, What if you move? What if you go on a road trip where it actually gets cold?

Coolant: Two schools of thought on this, I prefer to share myself. The 6.0 has a coolant shutoff valve, so if you plumb a series system, anytime you shut off your heater, you will lose coolant to everything. If you go Paralell(shared) you can easily bypass the valve so you still have coolant for the WVO system, even if the cab doesn't. But is this case you "may" need a coolant circulation pump for maximum effectiveness. For this you would tap into one heater hose on the passenger side between the shut off valve and the firewall, then the other hose would be tied in with the coolant return hose on the drivers side under the coolant reservoir.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcm87
how are you going to get around the low fuel pressure code that will show up when you turn of the D2 pump? or have you had that problem?
I would assume that it would not show up so long as I have constant pressure in the injector rails (that is where the pressure is read, correct?). I don't expect this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnut74
You probably should have a heater in your primary tank. ... if you can't get the cold oil out of the big tank to begin with, not much circulation going to happen.
Based on 15 mpg, I should be able to run over 100 miles with virtually no oil flowing into the smaller tank. That said, I don't see any period of time where the temperature will be low enough to raise the viscosity high enough to restrict the flow between tanks.

I went this route so I could retain my existing 100 gallon transfer tank with minimal fuss. Eventually, depending on how well it works and where I plan to use it, I might add a heater to the big tank as well. For now it is unnecessary though.

Quote:
The 6.0 has a coolant shutoff valve, so if you plumb a series system, anytime you shut off your heater, you will lose coolant to everything.
I wondered about this! Darn Ford engineers anyway!

With any luck I'll have it running on oil this weekend. Keep you posted.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
The 6.0 has a coolant shutoff valve, so if you plumb a series system, anytime you shut off your heater, you will lose coolant to everything.
What are the side effects of removing this valve so the coolant flows continuously? It doesn't seem to affect the temperature of the air coming in the cab.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRAcer View Post
What are the side effects of removing this valve so the coolant flows continuously? It doesn't seem to affect the temperature of the air coming in the cab.
Its a vacuum operated vavle, when you turn on the heater, it opens letting hot water into the heater core. Simply pull the vacuum line off. This will let coolant flow all the time.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is your build up and running?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry

No, unfortunately I ran into some issues with my check valve bolts.

Unlike most systems, I am restricting the flow of both oil and diesel from exiting the heads on the opposite sides. I was finally able to get the time to tear the engine apart and install four check valves in each of the four banjo fittings but at least one of them is not working properly. Thankfully I decided to test drive the system on diesel prior to hooking up the oil because I had diesel pouring out of the oil injection lines.

So I now need to figure out some way to pressure test the oil side of my system and have to wait for new check valves to come in. The aggravating part will be tearing the engine apart again and then testing each check valve for proper operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.